Hello from PA!

For our new members to introduce themselves
lamie44
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We currently own a beautiful brown brindle Dutch Shepherd female and are looking for a "sister" for her.

Hello from PA!

Post by lamie44 »

I'm new to the Dutch Shepherd forum, but not the Dutch Shepherd:) We have a 9 yo female Dutch Shepherd named Kali (pic below) and are so in love with the breed that we are currently looking for a reputable breeder to give her a "sister". We've been researching online, but any recommendations would be most appreciated!
Kali
Kali
Kali5.JPG (468.54 KiB) Viewed 14116 times
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Re: Hello from PA!

Post by felixone123 »

wow - she is beautiful and welcome!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Welcome...and I second that...she's beautiful!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Welcome! Kali is a real looker----where is she from?
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Welcome! Very pretty girl!

What are you looking for in your new puppy? That would help us recommend breeders.
lamie44
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We currently own a beautiful brown brindle Dutch Shepherd female and are looking for a "sister" for her.

Post by lamie44 »

Thank you everyone for the nice welcome! A little more background on me & the family- we originally got Kali from a breeder in California, OJ Knighten. Kali was being trained for police work and I believe her temperment was too friendly for that work, so he was looking for a family to place her with. I suppose we got incredibly lucky on the timing. We got Kali at ~3 months and she joined us in downtown Philly where my husband and I lived. We had Kali for about 4 years before the birth of our first daughter and we are so amazed at how well Kali has responded to a new family member. We have since moved out to the suburbs and I joke that we bought our house specifically for Kali- it has a great open, flat backyard that we can play with her in. I don't fear her running off, but I do find it amusing she can clear (i.e. jump!) the split-rail fence in the back... Also, it's a great yard for her frisbee skills- clearly her favorite thing to do besides cuddling with her family. We've since had another daughter who turns 2 today:) So, our family consists of a husband & wife with 1 dog & 2 daughters (ages 2 & 5). Thanks for reading on the background, as in our search for a new DS puppy, we are clearly looking for a family dog who can become part of our family. Also, I would not describe Kali as an alpha female, hence our looking for a female puppy.

Below is the 2 yo playing frisbee with Kali- absolutely amazing how gentle Kali is with her- we LOVE her (both hers)!
Kali7.JPG
Kali7.JPG (392.37 KiB) Viewed 14097 times
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

What a cute picture! Yes, they are quite good at jumping!

Have you considered a long-hair or rough-hair. They are all very good with children, and there will probably be some litters within the next year. Some rough-hair puppies were born recently, but only 2, so I expect they are both spoken for.

Here are some photos of the different dogs, and some with kids.

http://clgoetz.8m.com/rescue/

Sorry, some of the photos are rather large. The web page was set up for voting purposes.
lamie44
Just Whelped

Post by lamie44 »

Carole,
Thank you for the link & reply- BEAUTIFUL dogs! I think our preference is for a short-haired DS (I feel some days we could collect enough of Kali's fur in our house to make another puppy though!). Also, we're quite eager to get a puppy this summer, if possible. But...we want to make sure we get the right dog, so she's the worth the wait if we have to.

Thanks again,
Amy
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog

Post by CaroleBoaz »

It's good to be patient and find the right dog. I was looking for two years before I finally got Boaz from The Netherlands. He's a sweetheart!

Of course, he's shedding right now, but he normally sheds very little, just in the spring and fall. I use a shedding blade during those times and it's amazing what comes off of him.

http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Dual-Shedd ... B004LOBKIW
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome! Nice looking dog :)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

welcome, she is beautiful!!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

Hi Amy,

I think Asheley might have a pup or two left from her N litter (Vrijheid’s Borius x Rommel’s Krumel) that are still available. And females. :) She is a great breeder. Both of my girls are from her (A and H litters). I'm not sure if that litter would produce some pet dogs but contact her and she what she has and tell her what you are looking for and she'll tell you if she thinks either pup would be a good match for your home.

http://www.dutchshepherds.us
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Welcome and Wow! Kali is a real looker, gorgeous DS. Good luck in your quest for a pup.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Olie
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a 32 y.o. veterinarian working in a food microbiology lab, Olaf is cca 1-1,5 y.o. DS adopted from shelter. We are from Croatia.

Post by Olie »

Welcome! Kali is very cute!
Barbara & Olaf
Croatia, Europe (that`s why my english is bad)
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

k9katet wrote:Hi Amy,

I think Asheley might have a pup or two left from her N litter (Vrijheid’s Borius x Rommel’s Krumel) that are still available. And females. :) She is a great breeder. Both of my girls are from her (A and H litters). I'm not sure if that litter would produce some pet dogs but contact her and she what she has and tell her what you are looking for and she'll tell you if she thinks either pup would be a good match for your home.

http://www.dutchshepherds.us
Ditto what Heather said!! Ash works hard and breeds stable dogs of exceptional temperament. She also is meticulous about her health standards. There are very few breeders I recommend here, and most haven't had a litter in a few years - because they are breeding for a purpose instead of a dollar.

If you are looking soon, contact Asheley Winters at www.dutchshepherds.us. If you are looking for a pup later this year, that may open up some other options.

Also, take a moment to go through some back threads about breeding. It will be insightful on who to avoid.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown