help! Wondering if this kennel is a Legitimate kennel!!!

For our new members to introduce themselves
cake73
Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.

Re: help! Wondering if this kennel is a Legitimate kennel!!!

Post by cake73 »

aachendutchshepherds wrote:And no, this is absolutely where we digress~you can "fix" a dogs problems, whether man made or born with, to an extent, but, the animal will usually revert back to their prior behaviors/nature if pressed, in a situation, scared~whatever. Unless the people who get those dogs are capable of "holding a problem dog together". Agreed, alot of "problem" dogs or rescues are manmade, but it doesn't change the fact that they can come with issues or baggage. Sure~that dog was out of sorts, scared, alot of strange and new, but a DOGBITE IS A DOGBITE, NO MATTER WHAT THE MOTIVATION. It is nice to KNOW the motivation, to help "fix" it, avoid it, correct it~whatever~but that dog tried to bite when you touched him, tried to worm him, everything. From the shape he arrived in~we doubted he would have even ever had a rabies vacs or other vacs~he certainly hadn't been wormed or fed, so I seriously doubt anyone had sprung any bucks for proper vet care. So~you're right on that end~he should be called "lucky"~and I'm glad he's in a new home and salvaged~but sometimes the hardest part of BEING responsible dog owners, is NOT keeping the bad ones around. He came out of Texas~so who's breeding that?!?! And he's not the only dog or DS I've re-homed, but he is the only one that went thru your group.

1) NADSR does not take in dogs that have a bite history or have even been trained in bite work.

2) If the dog came through the rescue and through Trudy, it would have been vaccinated and wormed and fed; NADSR does spend "bucks for proper vet care"

3) Wondering why you don't seem to have an issue with your potential client who felt a need to ask the question, "wondering if this kennel is a legitimate kennel" ?????
Cheryl in MA, with rescued DS
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015

North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

aachendutchshepherds wrote:I wasn't the only one who thought that rescue/rehome was ugly. When that very nice gal from Tulsa got here, and MAN, did she have a NICE NICE NICE GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGOUS whopping GSD~husband sent her thru the house to the backyard as I was out there with one of my dogs. Funny thing is~she goes..."WOW! IS THAT HIM~HE'S GORGOUS!" You could just tell she was all excited. I go "NOooo. That's one of my own pups~let me get yours". So I bring him out, and although it's probably not verbatim, pretty doggone close~imagine similar to a quasi shriek, and she goes "OMG~he's ugly~he doesn't even look like a Dutch Shepherd!"
I don't care if the dog looked like a toad and 10,000 people agree with you that it was not attractive. The point is, you were attacking that dog. You were upset about people making comments about your website, and in turn you made rude and derogatory comments about someone's pet.
aachendutchshepherds wrote:And no, this is absolutely where we digress~you can "fix" a dogs problems, whether man made or born with, to an extent, but, the animal will usually revert back to their prior behaviors/nature if pressed, in a situation, scared~whatever. Unless the people who get those dogs are capable of "holding a problem dog together". Agreed, alot of "problem" dogs or rescues are manmade, but it doesn't change the fact that they can come with issues or baggage.
Again, it is unfortunate that THAT one dog had issues. I am glad that the new owners were able to maintain it. And yes, I do agree, sometimes the best thing that we, as a rescue, can do is remove the dangerous animals from the population after evaluating them. As a volunteer base of maybe 10, covering 50 states and often Canada, I think we do a very good job.

But your original statement was "Rescues are all fine and good I guess if you want a reject or problem dog generally!" That is completely false. Generally implies the majority of the time. The MAJORITY of the time we simply have GOOD dogs, with no more behavior problems than any other typical, confident, good dog. The MAJORITY of the time, they were simply purchased by unknowing owners who were not prepared to channel their intelligence and activity. A fish can't live successfully out of water. A DS can't successfully live with no guidance, no structure, no exercise and no mental stimulation. Just because the fish can't breathe doesn't make it a bad fish. Just because the DS can't function in a defunct environment doesn't make it a bad DS.

What if one of your sold puppies found itself in rescue because the owners were surprised by what they got themselves into? Or maybe even though you screen the CRAP out of them, they still moved away and dumped your dog in a shelter? Would it be the dog's fault? Does that automatically make it a bad DS?
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Thank you, Eric. :wtg: I was not going to inject any thoughts but the name-calling is a big no-no in my book. :nay: :noentry: Totally unprofessional and uncalled for. Granted we are all passionate about our beloved Dutch Shepherds and we are each entitled to our opinions but folks please keep it civil. Even through all of the bantering tho, I did learn some things and that is primarily why I participate on this forum, of that I am thankful. :hail: So now, let's get back to constructively sharing about our DS's!! :ds:

Denise Gatlin :muffy:
Louisiana

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Christie M wrote: What if one of your sold puppies found itself in rescue because the owners were surprised by what they got themselves into? Or maybe even though you screen the CRAP out of them, they still moved away and dumped your dog in a shelter? Would it be the dog's fault? Does that automatically make it a bad DS?

Moral of the story, IMO. The world is full of idiots and assholes. You can do your very very best to find your pups what seems to be a PERFECT home, but you just will never know.

I worked for a rescue up until it closed this month. Purebreds, even rare(ish) breeds like a DS would end up in a rescue system (like mine!). $hi! happens. Good dogs end up in bad places, or scary places. As dog lovers, someone has got to stand up and help them. I'd rather be on the helping side of the fence, then on the euth side (even though it is sometimes the right decision) GOOD dog end up in rescue systems. My trainer has not a doubt in the world that my Dutch can cruise straight to SchH3. He'd like to cross train him for FR. My dog was pulled from a rescue at 1 yr old. He may not be a picture perfect DS to breed standard, but he's got all the mental and physical requirements to be a top-notch working dog. I even think he's pretty. :P Some may say he's got bugle ears and is ugly. Oh well. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I also agree with doing everything in your power to check out a potential breeder before you sign any contract or put a deposit down. I'd love to eventually purchase a nice crazy brindle pup from a breeder, and I know that it would be a big plus if they could prove involvement in a breed, or just general rescue. What better way to prove that you are 100% invested in the welfare of your chosen breed!!! ;)

I love my DS. I'll be getting another one someday, to raise from a pup. To be honest- Aachen Dutch Shepherds was a breeder that I had on a list, for future reference. I'm terribly sorry, but even internet forum behavior speaks worlds to me on the truthfulness/responsibility of a breeder. You just lost a potential client, and the possibly references that would come with it.
Kelly
Koenig
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

You are wrong Aachen/Kelly (McGhee. That's your name, correct?)
I did not lock any thread and you can of course redeem yourself with an apologie for your assumption and your name calling of me.
For the rest of the rant, I think there is no need to even acknowledge any of it. You have shown your true colors, and it is not all brindle. :lol:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

mmhh :roll:
I am still wondering where this dog, imported from Germany got her PH1 examn?
And I agree with Jan, these combo's would not get fCI papers in either Holland or Germany :?:
muttnutty
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi, my name is Deanna and I have had two Dutchs, my second being a courtesy listed rescue thru NADSR. I have found the perfect breed for me and would like to get more involved in training and rescue. I could not imagine not having a Dutch (at least one!) in my life. Thank you, Deanna

Post by muttnutty »

Not to stir the pot in a different direction but I take offense to a rescue dog being a "reject or problem dog, generally." and that "rescues can come with issues and baggage". Of course they do~ hence the rescue part. And the majority, if not all, of these problems are caused by humans. But the most offensive thing was "but sometimes the hardest part of BEING responsible dog owners, is NOT keeping the bad ones around." (Imagine if that held true for people!)What kind of responsibility is that? My DS Zori was obviously one of the "bad ones" because she was dumped in the desert to die. Lucky for her someone was patient enough to take the time to catch her ( a long process from what I understand!) and she was taken to Animal Control. Lucky again, because when it was her time for the needle the woman couldn't do it, she told me "there was something in her eyes." She placed her with a foster group that kept her for months at a dog kennel because there was never a suitable foster home for her. After I got her, you bet she had issues, who wouldn't? I think that working with her on those issues is the "responsible" thing to do, not simply euthanize her because she was "bad". Maybe she isn't the most titled Dutch in the world or the prettiest and her pedigree probably sucks but there is no amount of money in the world that could have gotten me a better dog! The price of a dog is not always equal to the worth of a dog. It just seems to me that we're all here for the same reason and knocking a dog because it's a rescue or other "blanket" statements is ridiculous. It's not what is said, it's how it's said.

And, please, rest assured everyone, in no way am I saying that spending money on a purebred, papered etc., puppy is crazy, ridiculous, whatever term you care to use. I'm not sure where my next puppy will come from or how much he will cost, but I do know that rescue is an option!

Deanna
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Post by turnnburn52984 »

muttnutty wrote:Not to stir the pot in a different direction but I take offense to a rescue dog being a "reject or problem dog, generally." and that "rescues can come with issues and baggage". Of course they do~ hence the rescue part. And the majority, if not all, of these problems are caused by humans. But the most offensive thing was "but sometimes the hardest part of BEING responsible dog owners, is NOT keeping the bad ones around." (Imagine if that held true for people!)What kind of responsibility is that? My DS Zori was obviously one of the "bad ones" because she was dumped in the desert to die. Lucky for her someone was patient enough to take the time to catch her ( a long process from what I understand!) and she was taken to Animal Control. Lucky again, because when it was her time for the needle the woman couldn't do it, she told me "there was something in her eyes." She placed her with a foster group that kept her for months at a dog kennel because there was never a suitable foster home for her. After I got her, you bet she had issues, who wouldn't? I think that working with her on those issues is the "responsible" thing to do, not simply euthanize her because she was "bad". Maybe she isn't the most titled Dutch in the world or the prettiest and her pedigree probably sucks but there is no amount of money in the world that could have gotten me a better dog! The price of a dog is not always equal to the worth of a dog. It just seems to me that we're all here for the same reason and knocking a dog because it's a rescue or other "blanket" statements is ridiculous. It's not what is said, it's how it's said.

And, please, rest assured everyone, in no way am I saying that spending money on a purebred, papered etc., puppy is crazy, ridiculous, whatever term you care to use. I'm not sure where my next puppy will come from or how much he will cost, but I do know that rescue is an option!

Deanna
I'm with ya. Didn't do a very good job of making my point clear in my last post, but YES YES YES!!
Kelly
Koenig
labman
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a big duck hunter and a lab guy at heart but love my new Dutchie Pups!!

Post by labman »

Wow!! It looks like there has been some heated debates on this post!! I first would like to start out and say that I am new to Dutch Shepherds, but am not new about doing my research on dogs/breeders. I am a lab guy at heart as I have trained and ran many field trails/hunt test. I love dogs and I really love training them while watching them grow into what I want them to be as a dog owner. One thing over the years I have learned in buying several highly breed puppies is that it is a crap shoot as to if the dog is going to do the work or not! I have had dogs that come from the best stock in the world become good house pets and my best lab I ever trained and trailed has the worst breed dog I ever owned. All that being said let me give you my experience so far with my DS. They have been the easiest puppies to potty train, do OB with and since the are my first shepherds they play tug/target games well (for what little experience I have in working with this type of dog). My puppies are 15 weeks old and have been the quietest dogs I have ever owned while kennel breaking them. Websites, good or bad can be deceiving that is why me as a consumer must do as much research as possible before purchasing a puppy. I once knew a lab breeder/trainer I worked with until I found out how he did business that would post a breeding on his website which was 100% true as to the parents pedigree,but when the bitch had the pups he would pull out his favs and go to the flea market and buy replacement pups and put them in the litter as the pedigreed dogs(classic example to not always believe what you read good or bad). The only thing we as consumers have to go on is the information and personnel references that you can get from a respectable breeder. My DS came from one of the most caring and reputable breeders I could find. She answered all my questions refereed me to as many people I wanted to talk to and spent several hours with me and my family discussing dogs when I went to pick up my pups. The kennels were clean, all the dogs were healthy looking and there was a conscious effort on her part IMHO to breed the best DS she could for her clients. So far I would recommend this breeder to anyone who is looking for a great breeder/dog. I have the goal of taking my pups through protection training and will keep all of you posted on there progress. Oh almost forgot the breeder/kennel is Keely at aachendutchshepherds. I think if you all would cut her some slack she would be a good asset on this forum!!! Rocker you will be super happy with your pup!! Thanks
Jimbo Taylor
Oklahoma City, OK
"I am a lab guy at heart, but love my DS pups!!"
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

Labman. Would you please grace us by signing your post and to introduce yourself in the appropriate section?
You can make a signature for future use. In case this is not your one and only entry.
iraqofficer
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner

Post by iraqofficer »

I am responding to the posts I have been reading about this kennel. I purchased a sheperd from them about 14 months ago after searching across the net. At the time I was deployed to Iraq working with the U.S State department CIV-POL mission. Our second son Falco (Dutch Sheperd) had passed away after 13 years and we had been looking for a new family member. I made contact via the net to the breeder keely the owner of Aachen Dutch Sheperds and began the process of picking out a new dog. From the very start keely sent me photos of her new pups and my wife and I choose one from the litter. I advised Keely that I would be coming home from Iraq for vacation, and that I wanted to give our new pet to our son on his birthday. During the two months prior to getting the sheperd Keely sent me updated photos of Akia. After arranging a ship date my dog arrived at the atlanta airport on time and in great shape. I had him fully checked by our vet and we were very pleased. I would highly RECOMMEND THIS BREEDER and would be glad to provide pictures of him to any future buyers. My e-mail address is iraqofficerhcpd@yahoo.com.

Thanks
Chief Tom Close
City of Meigs Police Department
Meigs, Georgia 31765
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

Iraqof. Would you please grace us with an introduction about yourself in the appropriate section?
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

iraqofficer wrote:I am responding to the posts I have been reading about this kennel. I purchased a sheperd from them about 14 months ago after searching across the net. At the time I was deployed to Iraq working with the U.S State department CIV-POL mission. Our second son Falco (Dutch Sheperd) had passed away after 13 years and we had been looking for a new family member. I made contact via the net to the breeder keely the owner of Aachen Dutch Sheperds and began the process of picking out a new dog. From the very start keely sent me photos of her new pups and my wife and I choose one from the litter. I advised Keely that I would be coming home from Iraq for vacation, and that I wanted to give our new pet to our son on his birthday. During the two months prior to getting the sheperd Keely sent me updated photos of Akia. After arranging a ship date my dog arrived at the atlanta airport on time and in great shape. I had him fully checked by our vet and we were very pleased. I would highly RECOMMEND THIS BREEDER and would be glad to provide pictures of him to any future buyers. My e-mail address is iraqofficerhcpd@yahoo.com.

Thanks
Chief Tom Close
City of Meigs Police Department
Meigs, Georgia 31765
yeah, no one said the dogs were bad? That is not the point, we have hundreds of SUPER working dogs in Holland, all mixes, but here, no-one claims that their dogs are FCI bred :roll: who gives a *beep* as long as they work?
turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Marjolein wrote: who gives a *beep* as long as they work?

DING, DING, DING!!! We have a WINNER!!!!!!!! :party1:
Kelly
Koenig
jimmywatkins
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have 3 dogs. One is a DS.her name is Phoenix

Post by jimmywatkins »

:DSlove: I bought a female from Keely and named her Phoenix. She is almost 2 now. This dog is amazing and with very little trainning. Only from me and I am no trainer. She is super smart, alert, loves family and friends. Shame on anybody with bad intentions to come into the yard.I have never until now seen a dog that reads your face so well. She and I will comunicate with each other with eye contact. Truly my best friend.

Thanks Keely :DSlove:
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

jimmywatkins wrote::DSlove: I bought a female from Keely and named her Phoenix. She is almost 2 now. This dog is amazing and with very little trainning. Only from me and I am no trainer. She is super smart, alert, loves family and friends. Shame on anybody with bad intentions to come into the yard.I have never until now seen a dog that reads your face so well. She and I will comunicate with each other with eye contact. Truly my best friend.

Thank you for the post and endorsement.

Per the forum rules, please post a note of introduction in the New Member Announcement area and visit hte User Control Panel to create a signature that includes your name.

We are very happy to have you hear and would love to see lots of pictures and hear of your adventures with your new pup! Congrats on the new addition!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
feraloup
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.

Post by feraloup »

*shrugs* It all comes down to individual experiences. I know for a fact that there are several people who have had very negative impressions and experiences with this breeder.
I've spoken with a similar number of folks with great and glowing experiences.

In the end, all you can do is do your best, talk to more than one breeder option, and decide what works best for you.

My personal experiences with this kennel were positive. I found her to be very willing to take the time to talk with me, repeatedly, answer my questions, send me videos of pups, continual updates, and was very honest that one of the 3 pups I was considering had a cosmetic flaw in the form of a scar on his leg where he'd been bitten and neded stitches, but that didn't show up in the video because of his brindle.

She was also very intersted in what I was looking for in a dog and what our family dynamic was in terms of trying to help find a pup that would be best suited for our needs.

That being said, I am also very pro-rescue and almost all of my dogs in my life have been rescues (including one of the most intelligent and awesome "working dogs" I've had the pleasure to share my life with, and another equally awesome "reject" rescue, who'd been rehomed more than once, a blind rottie/pitbull who turned out to be an absolute loving, stable, bright, super-dog that I'd love to write a book about someday.

This was my first time ever actively buying a dog from a breeder.

I've only had him for about 2 weeks, thus far, (not quite, on Monday night we'll hit the 2 week mark,) and he will be 15 weeks old on Tuesday.

My vets were charmed by him and felt he was in excellent health, good build, clear eyes, clean ears, perfect bite, great skin and coat, up to date on all age-appropriate vaccines, as well as worm-free, though he did have giardia, a protozoan intestinal parasite, which is not uncommon for young pups to get and is being treated.

We are finding him to be bright, funny, alert, quick to learn, and are having a blast getting to know him and looking forward to working with him as he matures.

So far so good.
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

jimmywatkins wrote::DSlove: I bought a female from Keely and named her Phoenix. She is almost 2 now. This dog is amazing and with very little trainning. Only from me and I am no trainer. She is super smart, alert, loves family and friends. Shame on anybody with bad intentions to come into the yard.I have never until now seen a dog that reads your face so well. She and I will comunicate with each other with eye contact. Truly my best friend.

You know you just described most Dutchies :D regardless of where they're from :wtg:
Choochi
TexasMedy
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Hello Everyone,

My wife and I live north of Houston in Spring, TX. We have 3 kids, age 17, 19 and 20. We have a Dutch Shepherd, 3 Dalmatians and a Maltipoo.

Post by TexasMedy »

further, you then advise someone to consider to adopt a rescue~as an alternative to getting a pup! Again, since this question was from a client of ours, whom by the way, yes Chris, or rocker665, I did just receive your deposit, thankyou~babies are doing wonderful~that perhaps someone should consider a rescue instead. Rescues are all fine and good I guess if you want a reject or problem dog generally!

What a ridiculous and irresponsible statement regarding rescue dogs. I suppose this might work to answer an objection in an attempt to close a sale for some new dog people. Of course we know majority of rescues are caused by problem owners who are not capable of dealing with the needs of the dog and PROBLEM breeders who do not screen and qualify a potential home!
Also looking for the cheapest dog is not a sound strategy IMO. Buying a Dutch Shepherd is a 15 year commitment. If I can help minimize my chance of temperament issues, health issues and avoid poor breeding philosophy and practices by not supporting the program I feel a one or two hundred dollar investment is the biggest no brainier on earth. These dollars could come back to me many times over the course of the life of my dog.
Dan, Leticia and our dog family - Medy (DS), Coco (Dalmatian), Isabela (Dalmatian), Zoey (Maltipoo)
evo01
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a dog owner and a trainer

Post by evo01 »

I bought a pup from Keely absolutely 100 percent garbage she wouldn't answer her phone she is a liar when it comes to her warranty please stay away from her do your homework