Hello!!! New to the group!!!

For our new members to introduce themselves
Heatherbaker
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hello everyone!
I am going to be a mommy to a Dutch Shepherd puppy! Having had German Shepherds all my life, I was given an extremely wonderful opportunity to have a Dutch Shepherd. She is full of fire, and she has a sweet side too! I pick her up to take home permanently on Friday! I am so excited for this new member of the family! Anybody have any advice since I'm "new" to the breed? I have raised a Shepherd/wolf mix and many German Shepherds. They all have become big babies, especially my 140 pound Shepherd and the wolf mix! So what should I expect, do, and learn for this breed? I've done extensive research but I know that can only go so far! So add me chat with me and let's be friends as you all give me valuable information!! Thank you all!!! I am also from the East Coast in the United States

Hello!!! New to the group!!!

Post by Heatherbaker »

Hello, everyone!
I am going to be a mommy to a Dutch Shepherd puppy! Having had German Shepherds all my life, I was given an extremely wonderful opportunity to have a Dutch Shepherd. She is full of fire, and she has a sweet side too! I pick her up to take home permanently on Friday! I am so excited for this new member of the family! Anybody have any advice since I'm "new" to the breed? I have raised a Shepherd/wolf mix and many German Shepherds. They all have become big babies, especially my 140 pound Shepherd and the wolf mix! So what should I expect, do, and learn about this breed? I've done extensive research but I know that can only go so far! So add me chat with me and let's be friends as you all give me valuable information!! Thank you all!!! By the way here is my newest baby, Alibi!!!!
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Hello!!! New to the group!!!

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Welcome to the group!!! Much different dogs than your Gsd's and it will be a lot different than the wolf hybrid! Good luck! Def a fun breed that needs a job
Heatherbaker
Just Whelped
I am going to be a mommy to a Dutch Shepherd puppy! Having had German Shepherds all my life, I was given an extremely wonderful opportunity to have a Dutch Shepherd. She is full of fire, and she has a sweet side too! I pick her up to take home permanently on Friday! I am so excited for this new member of the family! Anybody have any advice since I'm "new" to the breed? I have raised a Shepherd/wolf mix and many German Shepherds. They all have become big babies, especially my 140 pound Shepherd and the wolf mix! So what should I expect, do, and learn for this breed? I've done extensive research but I know that can only go so far! So add me chat with me and let's be friends as you all give me valuable information!! Thank you all!!! I am also from the East Coast in the United States

Post by Heatherbaker »

Yeah I figured they would be the wolf was more stubborn but a good protector. The GSD's are simple in comparison I know that! I am planning on training her as a protector to me and my youngest son. I also want her to be a good therapy dog too for us.Help with our anxieties in public places too.
Alibi.jpg
Alibi.jpg (32.01 KiB) Viewed 6639 times
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Good luck!! If you put in the work (which it sounds like you will and have a good understanding of raising a good dog) you'll have a great dog!!!

P.s that puppy is a malinois 😉 With breeding dutch shepherds with malinois in the pedigree the brindle dogs are Dutchies the fawn dogs are malinois
http://www.workingdutchshepherd.org/breed-history/ Here's a link for breed history

Dutchies and malinois are different temperamented dogs even from the same litter
Heatherbaker
Just Whelped

Post by Heatherbaker »

yeah the breeder said in her last few litters this is the first malinois looking one, that is why she let me (a pet home) cause she usually has her dogs go for K-9 training and airport security etc. the parents and all her siblings have the dark short haired brindle look. She is the odd one out, but it is our gain! The breeder also said she doesnt go for the bite as much as her siblings. But I think she is perfect either way!!!
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

That makes no sense to consider it a "pet" vs k9 training because it came out a malinois I mean they are great working dogs ... but your gain and I'm sure you'll love it just the same!
Heatherbaker
Just Whelped

Post by Heatherbaker »

yeah she also said she isnt as aggressive as she would like her dogs to be I guess. But it is my gain!! And I cant wait to have the pitter patter of little paws.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

they are not pets, and I don't know why the breeder would do that. My old trainer had a Ring champion fawn color that was a registered DS.

the drive may be low for the breeders liking, that is how I got Thalie, she was living with the breeder in France because she was low prey drive and a wonderful pet, I did Ring sport with her and protection training and she was awesome.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

I was expecting that my experience with my hybrid would be very similar to handing Endeavor. In a few ways, it has. Extreme prey drive, remarkable intelligence, family bond and playfulness. But...it's very different at the same time. Maybe that's not a fair statement, since I've only been running a DS for a year vs ten with my hybrid. Plus, I was young and stupid with the wolf. I wonder how much more I could've gotten from her. That said-they're just plain different animals. The wolf...CAN do most of what the DS will...it just won't. The hybrids are often free thinkers. They dig hanging around with you. They love you and all you do with them. But they're not dogs. It really was similar to the difference between a child and an adult.
I'm guessing that if you were able to forge a good relationship with a (wolf-y) hybrid, than you'll have a good start on how to handle a DS properly.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Heatherbaker
Just Whelped

Post by Heatherbaker »

My wolf hybrid turned out to be the best dog I ever had! He was very sweet and affectionate. He would let my son who was a crawling baby climb all over him, he was like your average every day dog unless you seemed to be threatening to my sons he would bark at them and get in between them and the intruder. I did go through many door knobs cause if he wanted out he wouldn't tell you he would chew on the knob till he got it open! Also I woke up late one day and he was hungry and he chewed his way into a can of tuna fish. His best friend was my cat that I bottle raised. She would knock down the package of food they wanted he would chew it open and they would share the goods! The way I trained him was when he was in trouble I would flip him on his back and yell at him . Making myself the alpha of the pack. He gave me a run for my money that's for sure. And to dutchringgirl you say they are not pets? Well neither are wolves and I made a wolf hybrid a loving pet that was truly part of the family. I never needed a 6 foot fence for him like they say you need, I just loved him and trained him to be a companion and a loving friend who played with my very young children putting them on the bus every morning and meeting them as they got off the bus. Perhaps he was an oddity or I'm one hell of a loving trainer. This I don't know but what I do know is any dog has the opportunity to be a part of the family as a pet, they're only job needs to be loving back and bark when someone knocks on the door if they feel like it. All dogs are different as we humans are, you just have to have patience and love. (Sorry this comes from the fact that I'm also not only a dog lover but also an early childhood special education teacher) sorry but I'm as passionate about animals as I am towards my students and don't feel a particular breed is destined for work only, just like a sweet autistic child can't learn to read and love.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

You got lucky with the hybrid.

I used to alpha roll my dogs when I was younger and I thought it was a good way to chastise. Horsing around is one thing. If you try that with a dog that genetically has more...self preservation motivation, you might get eaten. It sets a bad precedent.

En is a pretty low drive DS. If my schedule is screwed up or I oversleep for more than two days in a row and don't have time to really give her a good workout, she starts going nuts. She begins neurotic licking of her feet. She paces. She pees on the couch. Starts getting pushy. Snaps at the older dog.

My hybrid unlocked the doors and let herself out on the regular. I thought crate training was barbaric. Instead, I just let her get into whatever. I had to take her to the vet more than once because I didn't keep her safe.

She was my family. She was my friend. We hunted together. We ran together on forest trails for thousands of miles. That, I believe, enabled us to have the close relationship we had. But she'd still go exploring when I wasn't around.

I'm just saying all of this because I don't want you to take anything for granted. These dogs are often bred to be something most folks would think is dangerous. It sounds like we've had quite a bit of similar experiences with our dogs in the past. Use your best judgement, and keep in mind that you may have been lucky to have a string of dogs that were compatible with your style.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

I'll add that my experience with the DS is extremely limited. I've only worked one. I've only interacted with 4 or 5. A bunch of folks will strongly advocate that there is no room for a DS to be considered a household pet. Personally, my dog is the most affectionate dog I've ever had, and she very atypically engages with everyone in the family. I can't tell you why. She's just a good fit.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

dutchringgirl is right about them not being pets, youll understand when you have one. i certainly hope shes low drive and you can manage her happily in your home however, as we always want whats best for the dog and you.
they dont necessarily need to be a police dog or military or search and rescue, but they need a job and structure or things could get unsafe. for demon its protecting koda and keeping heroin addicts from jumping my property walls, having a strictly set routine gives him a lot of comfort- too.

like tim said alpha rolling is a bad idea with these dogs. it will destroy any trust and relationship youre building and get dangerous very fast.
i can do it with my malamute koda though i have no need to, with demon id be putting my own safety in my hands and endangering our bond. dutch shepherds are just made of different stuff.
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

alpha rolling is just bad all around. It does nothing and then with these dogs who will go up the leash to eat you its a very very bad idea. Even Thalie, who is very sweet and low drive has gone up the leash and bit me when she wanted to do something and I told her no.
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Sounds like the dog came from a dumb "Breeder"
Alpha rolling is stupid and bad for your relationship with the dog and like dutchgirl said it can create tension and these dog will come up the leash and bite you and if you fight harder to roll them when they do you have an even bigger issue!
Lastly please don't ever ever let kids crawl all over a dog ANY dog it's not fair to the dog when it's had enough and snaps
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

This breed really shouldn't be a pet! Can it? Absolutely with proper understanding of the breeds temperament and drives... but with people that are inexperienced with working breeds it's not a good combination! I'm a professional dog trainer and I get at least 15-20 malinois a year in for training because the owner doesn't understand the breed or tried to alpha roll it and got bit or the dog snapped at the kids or the dog loads when the dishwasher opens! You are in for a ride if you do not do research!!!
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

good points about going up the leash and kids id forgotten to mention those!
btw just to clarify - i dont alpha roll koda at all. i just meant she would be tolerant of me man handling her like that because shes a teddy bear with me.:)
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

centrop67 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 12:42 pm
Exactly!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

that is a perfect video !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ImageImage