Hello from Tennessee

For our new members to introduce themselves
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Hello from Tennessee

Post by Tennessee3 »

Hello everyone, glad to be here!

I'm a public accountant, no dog trainer here so take anything I say with a grain of salt, unless it's about accounting of course :D

But I've always been passionate about animals and find a well trained dog (working dog especially) a thing of beauty, unfortunately my family didn't have the same mentality so my efforts at training my childhood pets were largely wasted. Course mostly rescue Mini Schnauzers aren't exactly the best starting material :lol:

Which is why after I got married to my lovely wife and we bought our first home we got a GSD puppy and endeavored to train it properly. I found a diamond in the rough breeder, terrible website advertising on Hoobly trying to sell his dogs, borderline BYB at first appearances, stuff that would send alot of people serious about dogs running for the hills! But despite my reservations some of the terms he used made me think there might be more than meets the eye here and after meeting his breeding stock and talking to the man I feel blessed to have found him. Steady dispositions, sound structure, solid drives and energy, high intelligence & biddability, alert and protective of family, and friendly once properly introduced. Exactly what a good shepherd should be IMHO, and my pup has been incredible better than I deserve really.

I've been training her in Schutzhund with a professional who's taken dogs to Worlds and it's been an awesome journey so far, and watching her develop has been worth every second of the time I've invested. She loves to train and is already extremely obedient and she's a little tracking machine. But she's got some flaws too, which has me looking for another pup. Now that I've got more experience under my belt and I'm far more confident with both my own knowledge / skills and the support system of knowledgeable trainers I've developed, I'm planning to add a more intense sport dog once I've got my girl titled (IPO1).

I want a more dominant, driven, athletic, biddable, aggressive (sometimes my girl can think too much, instead of just dealing with problems with action), smaller, faster developing, healthier breed, less shedding, and I don't want to pay an arm & a leg either (preferably under 2k). Does that sound like any breed you guys know? :DSangel: :D (Shedding bit: yes I know DS's can come in long hair variety as well, that from my understanding can be nearly as bad as GSDs).

But I don't want to over-correct either, my girl has a great natural off switch and she's not as extreme as some WLGSDs but she's no lazy hound either. (Actually she's an obnoxious lunatic when she doesn't get her training and play in :lol:, training being the big one if she doesn't have to think exercise is rarely enough.) And although I want more overall intensity, I'm not looking to sign up for a sharp hard as nails KNPV dog either, the Arkos Rudys and Tonys of the world or a pure high flying sport dog with all the extremes that implies either. What I'd love to have is a nice clear headed middle of the road Dutch that I can train for sport and PP but can also turn off and relax while I read or watch TV after a thorough training / play session or a long day of hiking.

I've found a couple breeders that look perfect, Vrijheid dutchshepherds.us & De las Flores http://www.delasfloreskennel.com/.

And I actually had a wonderful conversation with Ashley from Vrijheid and I'm currently on her contact list. But sometimes things don't work out for various reasons so I'm developing some backup plans just in case. I'm also looking to learn more about the breed, living with the DS, information on the different lines (pros and cons), the best training methods and training programs, and learning how I can support this amazing but somewhat rare breed.

Sorry for the gigantic wall of text :oops:, but I find it helpful to get all my thoughts out in one place on a subject. Helps me think, and hopefully provides many opportunities for people with many different opinions and experiences to share their thoughts with me. Whether that be a complete item by item breakdown from from the Oracle of DS's with 70 years of experience to the new puppy owner coming with no prior pet experience (in that case I hope you guys and gals tried to talk them out of it first!)

Anyways, thanks for reading!

Nick
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Hello from Tennessee

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Les Flores is good people and the president of the wdsaa (working dutch shepherd association of America)
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

As far as the traits you listed as what you want in a dog... with all breeds temperaments vary... my ipo dutchie isn't really an aggressive dog..(it's in there but for ipo I'm not bringing that side out it's not needed) and as far as smaller goes Yoda is 84lbs and tall...he's the size of a german shepherd but way more athletic
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

A good male gsd will have the traits you want in a dog as well... ipo is a gsd sport! I will say when picking working Dutchies watch your lines you choose from because a lot of them tend to be handler aggressive with confusing or unfair pressure...(not saying you are hard on you dog but certain aspects of ipo require good force)
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:05 am Les Flores is good people and the president of the wdsaa (working dutch shepherd association of America)
Very cool, thanks!

Somebody on the GSD forum has one of their dogs, and the impression I got was they are really really good at placing the right dog with the right person.
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:07 am As far as the traits you listed as what you want in a dog... with all breeds temperaments vary... my ipo dutchie isn't really an aggressive dog..(it's in there but for ipo I'm not bringing that side out it's not needed) and as far as smaller goes Yoda is 84lbs and tall...he's the size of a german shepherd but way more athletic
Oh yeah, absolutely! Dogs have personalities too, and aggressive is admittedly a bit of a loaded term. When I say aggressive I'm using it more in like boxing terms, fighting forward, more bull in a China shop less Floyd Mayweather. Not backing down an inch when challenged, not random or dog aggressive. Should have explained that better!

I'd heard they were trending a little larger now, but that's not a hard line for me. I'd take a larger dog as long as the joint health was good and the athleticism was there.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!!!
Nicholas

Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Tennessee3 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:54 am
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:05 am Les Flores is good people and the president of the wdsaa (working dutch shepherd association of America)
Very cool, thanks!

Somebody on the GSD forum has one of their dogs, and the impression I got was they are really really good at placing the right dog with the right person.
That's who I'm going to for a bitch!!!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Hello !!!! Welcome. Listen to Steve, he is good people !!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Tennessee3 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:03 am
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:07 am As far as the traits you listed as what you want in a dog... with all breeds temperaments vary... my ipo dutchie isn't really an aggressive dog..(it's in there but for ipo I'm not bringing that side out it's not needed) and as far as smaller goes Yoda is 84lbs and tall...he's the size of a german shepherd but way more athletic
Oh yeah, absolutely! Dogs have personalities too, and aggressive is admittedly a bit of a loaded term. When I say aggressive I'm using it more in like boxing terms, fighting forward, more bull in a China shop less Floyd Mayweather. Not backing down an inch when challenged, not random or dog aggressive. Should have explained that better!

I'd heard they were trending a little larger now, but that's not a hard line for me. I'd take a larger dog as long as the joint health was good and the athleticism was there.

Who do you train ipo with? I'm happy to have another ipo guy on here! lol I'm the only one that post in the protection sport section lol
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:09 am A good male gsd will have the traits you want in a dog as well... ipo is a gsd sport! I will say when picking working Dutchies watch your lines you choose from because a lot of them tend to be handler aggressive with confusing or unfair pressure...(not saying you are hard on you dog but certain aspects of ipo require good force)
I agree and I know a couple breeders I could get the dog I want from, just put down the deposit. But I want a Dutch, that athleticism is just awe inspiring, among other traits.

And the general personality differences is a big part of why I'm here!! I have so much to learn about handling this breed and I hope y'all will give me a thorough education.

I do disagree about IPO though,check the standings at nationals and Worlds, there's usually what 1 GSD in the top 10? Mals and Dutchies have taken over.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!! I really appreciate it!
Nicholas

Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:36 am
Tennessee3 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:03 am

Who do you train ipo with? I'm happy to have another ipo guy on here! lol I'm the only one that post in the protection sport section lol
Krista Wade http://www.happyvalleykennel.com/krista-wades-bio/

Been having a blast, she's good people.

I'm planning to work with these guys as well for PP work when my girl gets a bit older. https://globalk9protection.com
Nicholas

Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Tennessee3 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:04 am
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:09 am A good male gsd will have the traits you want in a dog as well... ipo is a gsd sport! I will say when picking working Dutchies watch your lines you choose from because a lot of them tend to be handler aggressive with confusing or unfair pressure...(not saying you are hard on you dog but certain aspects of ipo require good force)
I agree and I know a couple breeders I could get the dog I want from, just put down the deposit. But I want a Dutch, that athleticism is just awe inspiring, among other traits.

And the general personality differences is a big part of why I'm here!! I have so much to learn about handling this breed and I hope y'all will give me a thorough education.

I do disagree about IPO though,check the standings at nationals and Worlds, there's usually what 1 GSD in the top 10? Mals and Dutchies have taken over.

Schusa you can only compete at the national and world championship level with a gsd... awma is all malinois and so on for the fci championships yes there's very few Gsd's because they really good ones are competing in the german shepherd championships.. I will be competing at the dutch shepherd nationals next year with Yoda! Our club is 2 Dutchies 3 Dobermans a couple malinois a groenendael 2 Rottie's and 1 gsd lol and I love having all the different breeds as I am the club helper and it's way more fun that way! You on Instagram? I'm dogsoncueny
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

I post a lot of club stuff on there
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:12 am
Tennessee3 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:04 am

Schusa you can only compete at the national and world championship level with a gsd... awma is all malinois and so on for the fci championships yes there's very few Gsd's because they really good ones are competing in the german shepherd championships.. I will be competing at the dutch shepherd nationals next year with Yoda! Our club is 2 Dutchies 3 Dobermans a couple malinois a groenendael 2 Rottie's and 1 gsd lol and I love having all the different breeds as I am the club helper and it's way more fun that way! You on Instagram? I'm dogsoncueny
Added!

I'm looking forward to watching the results!

My instagram is barren though lol, but I need to add some dog stuff. Been meaning to use it as a video diary of my pups progress.

Sadly my life isn't interesting enough to be worth documenting on its own. Haha
Nicholas

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Its nice to have another working dog here. I can live through you guys. I used to Do Ring with Thalie and my Ex's Mal. it was a blast ! I had rescued another DS and wanted to work her too but she has double HD so we don't :(
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:46 pm Its nice to have another working dog here. I can live through you guys. I used to Do Ring with Thalie and my Ex's Mal. it was a blast ! I had rescued another DS and wanted to work her too but she has double HD so we don't :(
Yoda puppies will be here in like a month!! Hint hint
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome to the forum. I am sure a lot of forum members would love to see pics of your GSD.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:35 pm
Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:46 pm Its nice to have another working dog here. I can live through you guys. I used to Do Ring with Thalie and my Ex's Mal. it was a blast ! I had rescued another DS and wanted to work her too but she has double HD so we don't :(
Yoda puppies will be here in like a month!! Hint hint
hahahahaha. Don't tempt me. I have a basset hound now to take a break from the high drive crack Dogs !!

I do really miss the training though.
ImageImage
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

I'm really sorry to hear that, I'll do my best to put up some consistent updates on here.

Maybe tempt you back to the dark side :DSangel:
Nicholas

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Tennessee3 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:22 pm
I'm really sorry to hear that, I'll do my best to put up some consistent updates on here.

Maybe tempt you back to the dark side :DSangel:
Oh, tempting wont be hard, I keep threatening Steve that I'm going to visit him but he is a few hours from me so I don't know if ill get there any time soon.
Ring was a blast ! I had a great club, great people. Trials were so much fun.

I was a bit disheartened when I found out Sadie had bad hips but then realized that is why she came to me. Many days I want to kill her, The old joke around here was I was going to make Sadie soup LOL
ImageImage