Hello from Tennessee

For our new members to introduce themselves
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Re: Hello from Tennessee

Post by Tennessee3 »

centrop67 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:32 pm Welcome to the forum. I am sure a lot of forum members would love to see pics of your GSD.
Ha! you don't have to tell me twice!

I actually don't have a very good recent pic of her, but everyone likes puppy pics :D
20904951_815033015341172_3045585928346140672_n.jpg
20904951_815033015341172_3045585928346140672_n.jpg (124.29 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
20904885_1557094531017911_3790466367098978304_n.jpg
20904885_1557094531017911_3790466367098978304_n.jpg (164.75 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Oh no. No one here wants puppy pictures.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

oooooh sooooo cuuuuuuuuuuuutttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:25 pm
Tennessee3 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:22 pm
Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:46 pm Its nice to have another working dog here. I can live through you guys. I used to Do Ring with Thalie and my Ex's Mal. it was a blast ! I had rescued another DS and wanted to work her too but she has double HD so we don't :(
I'm really sorry to hear that, I'll do my best to put up some consistent updates on here.

Maybe tempt you back to the dark side :DSangel:
Oh, tempting wont be hard, I keep threatening Steve that I'm going to visit him but he is a few hours from me so I don't know if ill get there any time soon.
Ring was a blast ! I had a great club, great people. Trials were so much fun.

I was a bit disheartened when I found out Sadie had bad hips but then realized that is why she came to me. Many days I want to kill her, The old joke around here was I was going to make Sadie soup LOL
Haha! Crack dogs.

A big part of why I'm already thinking about another dog even though my pups still young is the wife and I are starting to think about kids. I'd like to get a second dog at least potty trained and able to settle some in the house before adding a newborn into the mix. Yes, I'm aware what I'm describing sounds like torture and I must hate myself. But hey this is the Dutch Shepherd forum, you people are gluttons for punishment. Just like you with a crack dog you can't even exercise/train to exhaustion :lol:

I was hoping you could tell me some stuff though?

What resources did you use to train your dogs for FR?
Where are your dogs from?
If you've ever trained a GSD or even just watched some training instances, what things have you seen where you say I would never do that with my Mal or Dutchie they'd be upset?

At what age did your dogs mature into adults? (Mentally) in your experience is that typical late early?

Thanks in advance!!

ETA PS that's just the tip of the iceberg on questions I have for you & @steve gossmeyer

Please don't hate me lol
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

yeah, Sadie is on crack LOL

I had met a trainer that my ex had gotten a gSD from. his GSD was big and beautiful. when our dogs passed we went to him to find new ones. the MAl... he was my exs dog, we got first from the trainer, he was already trained in R3 but no title yet. he was really cool. then a year later, the trainer found me Thalie, she was imported from france. She was with the breeder/ trainer. she is lower drive but perfect. so began our Ring training.

we were in the club of the trainers. it was great, he was right down the road from us.

I really cant say that there was anyting another breed did that " I would not do with the mal/ds" they all took it pretty much the same.

with in the breed there are things to learn about your specific dog. some took the bamboo stick better. the decoys knew who they could be harder on and who needed softer touch. when the Mal came running at them, they knew it was going to be a hard hit and they could be tough with him, when Thalie came running, they giggled, she is such a lady. She had a nice bite but typical woman LOL.

cant say for the Mal and Thalie, they were each a year when we got them.............Sadie was 12 weeks and at 8 years I am still waiting for her to mature.

many things are going to be depending on your specific dog, as far as how you can push them, when to let off, etc. Just get to know your dog and he you and listen to him when he is telling you something and you will be okay. You will make mistakes though. even though Thalie is forgiving and not as " hard " as the Mal, she still went up the leash on me and will nip my hand to tell me to back off.

I don't hate you . I LOVE talking sport

we are gluttons, I had gotten Sadie at a rough time in my life too, so a crack head DS pup was not the brightest thing to do , but I really got her for Thalie.
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

looking down the road to figure out what dog you want next is a very responsible way to be ! I do love the breed and will have more later on when I know I can give them the time they need and will get back into sport.
ImageImage
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:41 pm looking down the road to figure out what dog you want next is a very responsible way to be ! I do love the breed and will have more later on when I know I can give them the time they need and will get back into sport.
Thank you very much for all the information! Great stuff!!
Nicholas

racingiron1
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.

Post by racingiron1 »

Tennessee3 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:12 am Krista Wade http://www.happyvalleykennel.com/krista-wades-bio/

Been having a blast, she's good people.
Bell Buckle, huh? My wife's got a bunch of family that live in that tiny place. They probably know her. Quite a drive down from Nashville, or does she come to you? We're just down in Chattanooga.
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

racingiron1 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:05 pm
Tennessee3 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:12 am Krista Wade http://www.happyvalleykennel.com/krista-wades-bio/

Been having a blast, she's good people.
Bell Buckle, huh? My wife's got a bunch of family that live in that tiny place. They probably know her. Quite a drive down from Nashville, or does she come to you? We're just down in Chattanooga.
Huh, small world. Your wife's family is lucky, it's beautiful down there. I'd love to eventually relocate there.

I drive to her, I live down in La Vergne so it's only 50 minutes. Gabor is over an hour from me up in Gallatin I think, north of the City anyways.

Do you train with Sequoyah?
Nicholas

zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Post by zxs107020 »

Hi, we have made our introductions elsewhere but its good to have you. You seem like a smart and very well-educated man. I am sure you are well-informed and will make a great choice in picking your next puppy. You said you like to find "diamonds in the dirt" (pardon if my paraphrasing isnt totally accurate) but I am the same way, so I just wanted to add, you should also definitely check out Aachen Dutch Shepherds. They seem to have gotten a bad rap on this forum, however, they are good people and thats where I got my dog. I must say- she is amazing. I cant say enough good things about their breeding program, every day through reading and experience I learn to appreciate it (and my dog) even more.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

zxs107020 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:11 am Hi, we have made our introductions elsewhere but its good to have you. You seem like a smart and very well-educated man. I am sure you are well-informed and will make a great choice in picking your next puppy. You said you like to find "diamonds in the dirt" (pardon if my paraphrasing isnt totally accurate) but I am the same way, so I just wanted to add, you should also definitely check out Aachen Dutch Shepherds. They seem to have gotten a bad rap on this forum, however, they are good people and thats where I got my dog. I must say- she is amazing. I cant say enough good things about their breeding program, every day through reading and experience I learn to appreciate it (and my dog) even more.
PM inbound
Nicholas