Training videos

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Training videos

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

What would you guys like to see me make a video of? I always get a lot of questions tools or methods I use... what behavior or excersizes would you like to see a break down of?
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Training videos

Post by TimL_168 »

Gonna give it some though today. I'll get back to ya!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Gonna give it some thought today. I'll get back to ya!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:09 pm What would you guys like to see me make a video of? I always get a lot of questions tools or methods I use... what behavior or excersizes would you like to see a break down of?
ummmm...............after the whip thread, i am not sure I want to make suggestions :DSangel:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 2:44 pm
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:09 pm What would you guys like to see me make a video of? I always get a lot of questions tools or methods I use... what behavior or excersizes would you like to see a break down of?
ummmm...............after the whip thread, i am not sure I want to make suggestions :DSangel:
Bwhahahaha
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Ok, I've thought about it.
Not to sound like I'm whipping a dead horse, but I'd like to see a short walk through of how you encourage a dog to pick up the pace on a retrieve. I honestly struggle with this. En will trot back to me in a straight line... Just with little enthusiasm. I've tried working in the command I use when were running (hike), and it works a tiny little bit. Not enough.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

TimL_168 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:19 pm Ok, I've thought about it.
Not to sound like I'm whipping a dead horse, but I'd like to see a short walk through of how you encourage a dog to pick up the pace on a retrieve. I honestly struggle with this. En will trot back to me in a straight line... Just with little enthusiasm. I've tried working in the command I use when were running (hike), and it works a tiny little bit. Not enough.

Ooooo I like this. Granted mine just drops the ball halfway when we are anywhere but inside the house. In the house he will bring the ball back. I would love to learn how to build his ball drive so I could use that as a reward over food, especially when we are out and about. I always have a ball in my purse but I don’t always have treats!
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

I should be able to cover both of these in one video
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

ROFL.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

I want to see it all. Anything you are willing to share I can put to use. Thanks Steve
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

So those so many steps to take before reaching the end result as you see Yoda retrieving and being a psycho for the ball! Tomorrow I'll take a video and talk on the video explaining what I am doing and how and why what I'm doing is important! I like to break things done in small steps and use those small steps to build on towards the end result! So tomorrow's video will be about drive building and how I utilize certain tools to build drive and where the tools come into play down the road!
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

My girl has drive but her recall is terrible and she won’t always bring the ball back to me. It’s getting better but more often than not I have to walk a few paces to pick up the drop ball from somewhere.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
GypsyTheDS
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Me n my girls, Gypsy and Nala, live in Georgia. Gypsy was found as a neglected and abused stray. A Dutch Shepherd mix. She is now healthy and happy as part of our family. Nala came to us from a Craigslist ad at a year old. A tall and lanky German Shepherd/lab mix.

Post by GypsyTheDS »

My thoughts exactly. Bwahahaha :readingxxx:
Aimee, Gypsy (DS) & Nala (GSD/lab)
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

GypsyTheDS wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:25 pm
My thoughts exactly. Bwahahaha :readingxxx:
It was all Lisa's fault!
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Joxgirl wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:10 pm My girl has drive but her recall is terrible and she won’t always bring the ball back to me. It’s getting better but more often than not I have to walk a few paces to pick up the drop ball from somewhere.
When you have the proper drive and engagement that will no longer be an issue
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:50 pm So those so many steps to take before reaching the end result as you see Yoda retrieving and being a psycho for the ball! Tomorrow I'll take a video and talk on the video explaining what I am doing and how and why what I'm doing is important! I like to break things done in small steps and use those small steps to build on towards the end result! So tomorrow's video will be about drive building and how I utilize certain tools to build drive and where the tools come into play down the road!
Woohoo! Thank you, Steve!
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:56 pm
Joxgirl wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:10 pm My girl has drive but her recall is terrible and she won’t always bring the ball back to me. It’s getting better but more often than not I have to walk a few paces to pick up the drop ball from somewhere.
You make it sound so easy.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Joxgirl wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:06 pm
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:56 pm
You make it sound so easy.
It takes a lot of work getting to that point but once it's there its smooth sailing
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Post by Tennessee3 »

I’d love to see a video on improving about turns.

Thanks Steve!
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Tennessee3 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:58 am I’d love to see a video on improving about turns.

Thanks Steve!
Which about turn? The german about turn or the flip turn?