Hilde's becoming a disc dog

Have a photo you want to share?
racingiron1
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.

Hilde's becoming a disc dog

Post by racingiron1 »

Hilde has always had a bit of interest for Frisbees, but would mostly wait until they came to the ground to pounce, and the standard plastic ones were sometimes tough for her to pick up. I started using one of the flying rings with open center and she likes that better, but sometimes will hook a front leg through when she's trying to run with it. We came across a soft disc the other day, made out of ballistic nylon, and she really seemed to like it. She's now routinely plucking it out of the air and bringing it back.

The Skyhoundz world championship is taking place here in Chattanooga this weekend, so last weekend we took a few pictures just to get in the mood to go watch the pros...

I'll start with her getting used to my bad throws. Here's a horrible throw that reversed direction on her in mid-air:
TerribleThrow.JPG
TerribleThrow.JPG (106.19 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
Here she is patiently waiting for it to drop:
Waiting.jpg
Waiting.jpg (56.55 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
OK, I started to get a bit better (more likely, she's just anticipating the poor trajectory!):
NearMiss.JPG
NearMiss.JPG (90.54 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
Here are a couple that I got relatively straight and she could get a full head of steam to launch after it:
Chase.JPG
Chase.JPG (60.37 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
Launch.JPG
Launch.JPG (66.37 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
Back to my bad throws... Here is a nice 4-shot sequence of her giving it her best effort:
I got it!!!
BadThrow1.JPG
BadThrow1.JPG (164.54 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
Yup, I got this!!!
BadThrow2.JPG
BadThrow2.JPG (134.96 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
... I think I got it... Maybe...
BadThrow3.JPG
BadThrow3.JPG (139.77 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
Uh... Dad... that throw was pathetic!
BadThrow4.JPG
BadThrow4.JPG (158.12 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
OK, enough of the warm ups. We finally got in a groove...
Gotcha.JPG
Gotcha.JPG (166.83 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
Twist.jpg
Twist.jpg (103.36 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
Grab.JPG
Grab.JPG (119.3 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
TooEasy.JPG
TooEasy.JPG (96.89 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
And the finale, no air time, but a nice, big CHOMP!
Chomp1.jpg
Chomp1.jpg (99.65 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
Chomp2.jpg
Chomp2.jpg (121.86 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Re: Hilde's becoming a disc dog

Post by Mobil »

Those are fantastic shots. She is beautiful and looks so happy.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

Great pics. I love the last one the best. She looks so intense. I use to suck at taking action shots but I found the burst shot feature on my phone so I do better now. Your pics are a lot better than what I usually take.
Karen & Xander
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Awesome pictures.

I am so jealous of your wide open field to play in.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
racingiron1
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.

Post by racingiron1 »

Well, the sunlight helped a lot on that day, plus Elizabeth took all those... I was just thrower. We're really lucky to have that field (part of a city park) right across the street from our house. I have some more to post below, but the lighting wasn't as good. We need to get a better camera than just a phone, but it's pretty good so far. Karen, the burst mode really helps, because otherwise getting the timing just right is nearly impossible. Since most of the shots below weren't as good as the others, I decided to play around with some photo editing software...
_Blur.JPG
_Blur.JPG (94.93 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
_OnTheNose.JPG
_OnTheNose.JPG (108.68 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
The first of my sequence creations with the editing software:
_GrabLand.jpg
_GrabLand.jpg (147.38 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
_Pounce.JPG
_Pounce.JPG (174.48 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
Here's another sequence. She missed this one as it reversed direction:
_SoClose.jpg
_SoClose.jpg (145.76 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
Here's one where she jumped way too early and the frisbee stayed too high for her to get it:
_TooEarly.jpg
_TooEarly.jpg (195.94 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
This is just a crazy close-up action shot. I would've loved to have a nice camera with fast shutter speed here.
_Close.JPG
_Close.JPG (142.8 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
Catch_3.jpg
Catch_3.jpg (141.4 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
Now for some animated GIF files that have the burst photos put together:
Catch_1sm.gif
Catch_1sm.gif (489.67 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
Catch_2sm.gif
Catch_2sm.gif (486.96 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
Catch_4sm.gif
Catch_4sm.gif (503.67 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
I have a GoPro camera I used yesterday evening, but it'll take a couple of days to pull the video off of it and edit it down. Stay tuned!
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

That is so cool. How did you post the animated gif files like that so they would play? Do I have to resize each picture and post them separately or do you post the whole file together? I have some on my phone, I select the picture and tap the play button to play them on my phone but I don't know how to post them.
Karen & Xander
racingiron1
Green Dog

Post by racingiron1 »

OK, I'm getting really far too infatuated with this! :DSlove:
I'm already making plans for a big $$$ camera, just for some more of these Hilde action shots! You guys will have to have an intervention soon... Just gently nudge me if I get out of control with these picture posts.

Karen, for the animated GIFs, I used a free online GIF-maker website. There are several available, but I used http://gifmaker.me/. I already had the pictures on my computer for editing so using that web site was easy. Keep in mind that to post here the file has to be less than 500K, so I had to really lower the resolution of the GIF. If you just want to piece the burst images together on the phone, there are several iOS and Android apps that'll do the job. Here's a list (I haven't tried any of these): http://webtrends.about.com/od/prof4/tp/ ... ndroid.htm

OK, more pics to post. We had another session Sunday morning before going to watch the pros. Lighting was pretty good, if overcast, so not too blurry. Most of these were part of a burst, so I'll create some more overlays and animations soon. Rather than animated GIFs, I'll probably create videos and post to YouTube. I wish more of them had direct sun only so you could see her shadow. That really gives a sense of how high she flies.
Catch1.JPG
Catch1.JPG (137.78 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
I love these shots where she's stretched out right after take-off!
Grab1_stretch.jpg
Grab1_stretch.jpg (126.87 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
A couple of mid-air acrobatics:
Grab2_twist.jpg
Grab2_twist.jpg (303.98 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
Grab3_twist.jpg
Grab3_twist.jpg (121.62 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
Love the teeth on this one...
Grab5_teeth.jpg
Grab5_teeth.jpg (151.49 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
She missed this one (I still have some bad throws), but she was right on the nose!
Miss2_nose.jpg
Miss2_nose.jpg (228.06 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
Speaking of bad throws, I nearly hit Elizabeth with this one, but she managed to get a great shot of Hilde's intense concentration.
HeadOn_concentration.jpg
HeadOn_concentration.jpg (128.19 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
The finale this time: another nice stretch, but you can really see the force of impact on that poor frisbee!
Grab6_stretch.jpg
Grab6_stretch.jpg (173.75 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
racingiron1
Green Dog

Post by racingiron1 »

I told you guys I'm getting a bit out of control with this... :yernuts:

I made a YouTube video from the GoPro camera and some of the burst still shots. I couldn't resist adding a bunch of stoopid captions. Anyway, here's the link. If your internet connection allows it, make sure you're watching it at the full 720p resolution:
http://youtu.be/QoUGS3nYMlk
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

I don't click on links, but I couldn't resist. She's so happy-casual about that disc! (Loved the clip where she thought she had to "kill" it...just a little bit.)

I noticed she drops it just before or as she reaches you (as opposed to handing it to you). When I first brought Thor home, he didn't like to give anything up or would "tease" you with it. We worked on "I give to you, you give to me" and he got it...but perhaps too much...often, he's so concerned with giving it up as I reach for it, he lets go before I actually have it. That said, if I put my palm/palms flat out and say nothing, he understands that he needs to literally PLACE the object in my hands.

Nice job. Hilde and video!!!
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
racingiron1
Green Dog

Post by racingiron1 »

I tried to embed the video here, but it looks like the forum software we're using doesn't support the YouTube tags.

I swear most of those jumps are just showing off. At first she would wait for it to hit the ground, then scoop it up and run back. Once she saw the reactions we gave as she grabbed it from the air, she started going out of her way to get airborne, especially if there's an audience. What a ham! To really get her amped up, I sometimes throw it vertically and let it run across the ground. That seems to kick in her prey drive. She'll run full out (no matter how tired/bored she is), let out a cute growl when she grabs it, then give it a few good shakes to put it out of its misery.

When returning, her first instinct is to try to play keep-away. You'll notice that when she drops it she goes straight for Elizabeth's hand in her pocket--that's where the yummy treats live! We haven't progressed to actually handing it back yet. She still sometimes drops it way too early and we have to make her go back and get it.
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde