Survey: Photo Contest Voting

Monthly Photo Contest

Why you don't, wouldn't, or do vote in the Monthly photo contest?

I vote every month
27%
I try to vote every month
36%
I vote only sometimes
No votes
I only vote if I've entered a photo
No votes
I would like to vote for more than one photo
No votes
I don't vote, because it's stupid
No votes
I don't vote, because this doesn't belong on the site.
No votes
I don't vote, because I don't care
No votes
I don't vote, because I am concerned my vote is public knowledge
No votes
I don't vote, because it's too hard to choose
No votes
I don't vote, because I don't know how
No votes
I don't participate, because I don't like to lose
9%
I don't participate, because I always win
No votes
I don't even view the photo contest threads
No votes
There's a photo contest?
No votes
Other (Please Explain by comment or PM)
27%

Total votes: 11

centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Survey: Photo Contest Voting

Post by centrop67 »

From month-to-month the Photo Contest thread generally receives the most views, but the actual number of members who vote is quite low. I can't seem to wrap my head around why. :huh:

Please take a moment to check all that applies in the poll. You can also leave additional feedback by commenting in this thread OR if you don't want to publicly share, shoot me a PM or email.

Thanks - Michael
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Survey: Photo Contest Voting

Post by centrop67 »

I guess the preliminary results are that nobody votes for anything :lol:
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

I assure you that your selection is completely anonymous.

Even if it were possible to know who selected what, I am REALLY looking for open and honest feedback.

Thanks.
Michael
GypsyTheDS
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Me n my girls, Gypsy and Nala, live in Georgia. Gypsy was found as a neglected and abused stray. A Dutch Shepherd mix. She is now healthy and happy as part of our family. Nala came to us from a Craigslist ad at a year old. A tall and lanky German Shepherd/lab mix.

Post by GypsyTheDS »

I plan on voting monthly but am new so have only been here for one month of voting. :)
Aimee, Gypsy (DS) & Nala (GSD/lab)
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

:wtg:
Michael
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

centrop67 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:46 pm I guess the preliminary results are that nobody votes for anything :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
t_vollmar
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hello - My name is Tammy - I own what we think is a Dutch Shepherd and her name is Sadie and she is 2 years old and beautiful and our other dog is a little dog - her name is Bella - she is 5 years and is a Chihuahua mix (we think miniature pintcher). We love our dogs. I am a huge dog person. and want to no more about Sadie, our Dutch Shepherd.

Post by t_vollmar »

I'm new on here with Sadie so I will definitely start posting a picture and voting
montecarlogirl87
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: dogs, cats, fish, birds, horses, llamas... I've worked with them all :)

Post by montecarlogirl87 »

I'm not active enough here, don't consider myself /really/ part of the forum's community, so I tend to stay to the outskirts
Tareena and Shylah and Shota - Orlando, FL
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

montecarlogirl87 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:22 pm ... don't consider myself /really/ part of the forum's community
You've been a member for almost 4 years, and you have 100 posts.

How can you not consider yourself part of the community?

It's okay, though. I appreciate your feedback. If there's anything I can do to help you feel more involved. please let me know.
Michael
montecarlogirl87
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: dogs, cats, fish, birds, horses, llamas... I've worked with them all :)

centrop67 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:03 am
montecarlogirl87 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:22 pm ... don't consider myself /really/ part of the forum's community

It's okay, though. I appreciate your feedback. If there's anything I can do to help you feel more involved. please let me know.
It's not any slight on the forum (or the members), but many of you know each other from countless interactions here and have established (online) relationships, I tend to stay to the sidelines and most of the time don't have much to add to the conversation because my girl isn't the norm, I don't work/sport with her and she's a giant couch potato
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

montecarlogirl87 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:20 pm
centrop67 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:03 am

It's not any slight on the forum (or the members), but many of you know each other from countless interactions here and have established (online) relationships, I tend to stay to the sidelines and most of the time don't have much to add to the conversation because my girl isn't the norm, I don't work/sport with her and she's a giant couch potato
I feel sort of the same way. I do always participate in the photo contest but don't post much otherwise anymore. Xander is my have fun, be active, play around dog. We do silly searches for his babies and hotdogs but nothing for competition or whatever. Just fun games at home. He is fine with that and he has his "job" finding his babies that I hide and watching over his grandma and herding his balls around the yard which he is really good at. But it's nothing exciting like some of the members do (which I think is awesome, just not for us). Plus he is not the standard looking DS. He's fuzzy and hairy. Lol. But he has character and has won a couple photo contests. But I stay here to read the posts and see the awesome dogs that the members have and try to learn something. And of course I love all the puppy pics. Lol.
Karen & Xander
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

I wish people like you two would post more. In all reality, they can be just fun dogs too. I do many sports with ICE but he is also my pet. He can give 100% in bite work and then lay on the couch with his head in my lap. That's what it is all about, give them the mental and physical exercise they need and enjoy them as your buddy too.
Patty and Ice
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

ICE wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:54 pm I wish people like you two would post more. In all reality, they can be just fun dogs too. I do many sports with ICE but he is also my pet. He can give 100% in bite work and then lay on the couch with his head in my lap. That's what it is all about, give them the mental and physical exercise they need and enjoy them as your buddy too.
I agree completely!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
montecarlogirl87
Green Dog

ICE wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:54 pm I wish people like you two would post more. In all reality, they can be just fun dogs too. I do many sports with ICE but he is also my pet. He can give 100% in bite work and then lay on the couch with his head in my lap. That's what it is all about, give them the mental and physical exercise they need and enjoy them as your buddy too.
I also agree, unfortunately in some circles (I haven't run into that here specifically) there are people who will attack others for having a 'pet' dutch... I don't advertise it here, but I'm the one who started the Non-Working DS group on FB basically because of that
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

this is probably the safest place you will find to talk about your dog. We do not care if they are a pet or work. I like to hear both. I used to do Ringsport with Thalie, but now they are both pets. I love to see stories of bite work, or play. I do not frequent the FB dutch boards for that reason, they are so mean and unforgiving.

Here, your dog can do anything, all we want are pictures.
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

I was reading an early post by the original owner of the site, and it's funny that he started the site as a "test" and just kind of let it run.

I am good with all discussion whether serious working or pet goofiness.

You know working dog people are secretly chuckling in the background at the derpy Dutch Shepherds, right?

Just don't try to make them admit it. :whistle:

Personally, I am highly envious of those getting the full working potential out of their dogs.

And, I'm not afraid to admit it. :g_wink:

I am loving the feedback! I still can't get people to vote for anything, but dialogue is good.

Keep it coming...
Michael
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Michael...how many people are active on this site in any given week? Compare that to national voter turn-out for elections. You may be asking too much from the get go.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:26 pm Michael...how many people are active on this site in any given week? Compare that to national voter turn-out for elections. You may be asking too much from the get go.
Well, as someone who has been on this site for about 7 years, its very slow compared to what it used to be. Michael took it over (YEAH!!) There were breeders, a lot of people who did work their dogs, and many who didn't. We are working on keeping it a hoping place and having more people hang out here.
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

I was just saying that people in general seem to be disconnected from their environments. I've read that there was a lot of grumbling and changes around the time that I first joined(or shortly before?). I'm sure as long as we keep adding new content, things will come around again.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

The numbers aren't off the chart. However, I don't understand how something as simple as clicking a box to vote for a photo is so low. In fact, it's usually between 9 and 15 members that vote from month to month.

For those that just scan the discussion and never post, it should be a no-brainer. It's a chance to give an opinion totally anonymously. :player:

A review of activity shows that approximately 50-75 unique members visit the site per month. There's a ton of guest (non-member) activity as well. In total, we received over 168,500 visits last year.

I get that not everyone posts. I am thankful to those of you that do. :wtg:

We'll NEVER compete with Facebook, but that's okay.

We have unique content, content that's not just discussion, content that can be easily searched, and content that can evolve with time. And, unlike Facebook, the content can be searched through Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.

Montecarlogirl87 is probably giving me the key. Most of the members who lurk and don't post probably feel disconnected. I just need to find a way to re-connect them (sounds easy right?) :lol:
Michael