Looking for a young Dutch

Have something you want to sell or buy related to a Dutch Shepherd? Put it here.
Forum rules
If you are selling a Dutch Shepherd or announcing a litter please post the results of the normally expected health tests or clearly state that they are not available. ...people are going to ask for them.
Ddoubleumtl
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm a family man looking for a Dutch shepherd in Montreal Canada

Looking for a young Dutch

Post by Ddoubleumtl »

Hello,
I'm new here. I'm looking for a young Dutch shepherd for a family companion. A pup or a rescue that is safe with cats.
Please point me in the right direction

Thanks
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Looking for a young Dutch

Post by centrop67 »

:shock:
Ddoubleumtl wrote:family companion
Dutch Shepherds aren't so much family dogs. They're more one-person dogs.
Ddoubleumtl wrote:safe with cats
:lol: :lol: :lol:
These dogs are herders. Your cats will be herded/annoyed at a minimum or be treated as prey at worst.

Most all DS have endless energy, that is, they never fully get tired out. Not only do they need lots of physical exercise, they need mental stimulation as well. You won't like how they act if they don't get both.

It may not be impossible, but what you're asking for is tough to find in a DS. I recommend starting here and reading many stories. Then, browse the North American Dutch Shepherd site:

http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org/

Think seriously about what you're looking for, however. :huh:
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Ddoubleumtl wrote:Hello,
I'm new here. I'm looking for a young Dutch shepherd for a family companion. A pup or a rescue that is safe with cats.
Please point me in the right direction

Thanks
Golden retriever?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

I think the first question is: What made you decide on a Dutch Shepherd?
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Ddoubleumtl
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm a family man looking for a Dutch shepherd in Montreal Canada

Post by Ddoubleumtl »

I can’t really say thanks for your help because no help was offered; only sarcasm and silly emoji faces. First off, I like the breed; I’ve witnessed its abilities and the challenges they pose. I’ve owned a Doberman and a Rottweiler, both of which live to a ripe old age before disease took them. And YES there was a cat there too. Am I saying that this makes me an expert? no but I am free to own the animal I wish? So please save your sarcasm and if you have anything valuable to offer I would appreciate it.

“It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.”
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

I merely asked why you settled on Dutch Shepherd... I was trying to drill down on what factors you considered before settling on this breed. I apologize if my question offended you. Good luck.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Sorry about the emojis, but I did offer sound advice.

The Dutch Shepherd rescue is a great source to get a dog. The stories on this forum provide great insight into this breed.

Most everyone on this board is really friendly, but we also see lots of folks who like the look and athleticism of the breed who don't understand the effort behind owning a dog like this.

I was shocked (1st emoji) to hear the kind of dog you wanted. Yes- DS can be family dogs but that's a full time job in itself. And I know it's possible, but I think it's funny (2nd emoji) to choose a DS to live with cat(s). It says you should learn more about the breed before jumping in.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Ddoubleumtl wrote: I am free to own the animal I wish?
No one stated otherwise. They merely gave council. And the reason they offered their experience or suggestions was because of the scores of people we've witnessed who want to own a DS but are not capable of handling them, or lack the experience.

We care about these beasts, and it is not uncommon for us to inquire why someone wants one, what experience they have, or other details if the OP hasn't offered any information.

That Michael would apologize for using emoticons (his choice to emphasize his points) is an example of the type of person he is.

Here's an answer to your question: Seven Pines Kennels. Northwood/Thunderhawk.

Others can chime in with other reputable breeders if you haven't offended them by your reaction to respected members of this board.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

You can own what you want but that is putting human needs before animal needs. DS are not companion dogs, they are working protection / police/ sport ( heavy sport) army, border patrol, but not family pet cat friendly dogs. Dobies and rotties are not the same kind of working dog as the DS is. Its a whole different world. We see alot of them that are taken in as resuces or such and very bad things happen because they are strong and sensitive and it can be very bad for both dog and owner. Then you have an aggressive dog that cannot be re-homed. If you are looking for just a family friendly cat friendly dog, then a DS is not for you. You are welcome to get a dS but be warned that IMO Rottweiler and Doberman ownership does not make one ready for a DS.
ImageImage
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

If you're looking for a cat-friendly dog, why would you choose a breed known for not being cat-friendly?

I ended up with 2 Dutch Shepherds that someone just threw away, and I have cats. They have low drive (thank God, because I had no idea what I was in for), and I got them as puppies, so they grew up around cats. I have photos of them snuggling with cats and laying happily together.

Then at around 6-7 months, that all changed when their prey drive really kicked in. I now have to keep the upstairs blocked off so the cats have a safe place, having played the bloody version of Dutchie tug-of-war with a cat more than once now. Their prey drive is INSANE.

I grew up with and have owned several GSDs with decent drive and thought I knew what I was in for, having had experience with herding/working breeds. Let me tell you something. My low-drive dogs (who are probably geared more toward life as family companions than most DSDs) have more drive than any GSD I've ever had.

If you feel you absolutely must have a Dutch shepherd, you need to either make sure you get an older dog who's being let go due to lack of drive or similar and who is being advertised as pet quality and/or is tested with cats, or you need to get a mix/rescue who is also low-driven/lacking prey drive. They are few and far between.

Lastly, we are a community here. You don't march into someone else's town, walk into their living room, and begin insulting them after showing your ignorance on a subject at which they excel. And then expect help on top of it?

The people here know what they are talking about and if you weren't so busy being offended, you might learn something valuable and avoid making a bad decision that affects an innocent dog.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

The OP hasnt posted in a while
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Dutchringgirl wrote:The OP hasnt posted in a while
Ddoubleumtl wrote:“It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.”
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

Raven wrote:
Dutchringgirl wrote:The OP hasnt posted in a while
Ddoubleumtl wrote:“It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.”

if only we had a "like" button here. :-D
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Hope
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm new to the DS world. I've always loved dogs, and have had some wonderful canine friends, including a German Shepherd and two Dobermans.
I've been looking for a loyal companion/ guard dog who will enjoy running with me and helping with the moving of cattle on our small ranch in rural Oregon. I hope to bring a DS into our home soon. My plans for my new friend include obedience training and lots of travel. As this breed is rare, the search has been long. But I haven't given up! Still looking.

Post by Hope »

Hello~ This is exactly what I've been looking for, insight from DS owners regarding whether they make good family pets. I'm a newbie, too. Is this the right place to reply and ask a question that's related to the question first posted by Dd?

Here goes...Trying to determine if a DS and I can be best & forever friends...

So, I'm interested in Dutch Shepherds as a personal guard dog, running companion and to help occasionally with rounding up stray cattle on our small ranch. He would also travel with me and attend obedience training, possibly Schutzhund.

However, I would also like my canine friend to sleep indoors next to my bed (guard), and be calm in the house, and it would be totally awesome if he is affectionate...likes to be pet. Do I have the right breed? A vicious Pomeranian is out of the question. LOL ;) Eomoticon--winky face. (Not sure where to find the emos on here, but I'll learn). Kidding with you, of course. Any advise here would be helpful...thank you, HOPE
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Hope wrote:Hello~ This is exactly what I've been looking for, insight from DS owners regarding whether they make good family pets.
No they are not family pets.
Hope wrote: I'm a newbie, too. Is this the right place to reply and ask a question that's related to the question first posted by Dd?
Your a newb to what? here? dogs? DS??
Hope wrote:Here goes...Trying to determine if a DS and I can be best & forever friends...
that is up to them, but yes, they will love you and only you and eat everyone else, well, maybe not the others on your house.
Hope wrote: So, I'm interested in Dutch Shepherds as a personal guard dog, running companion and to help occasionally with rounding up stray cattle on our small ranch. He would also travel with me and attend obedience training, possibly Schutzhund.
If you have a ranch with things to round up, that is right up their ally, they love to run and work all day, I mean ALL DAY, then they will want to work some more. Travel? How? Obedience, great !!! Shutz, YIPPEE, awesome idea. I did Rings SPort with Thalie and it was a blast.
Hope wrote: However, I would also like my canine friend to sleep indoors next to my bed (guard),
Oh yes, mine sleep inside with me and they each have a nice fluffy bed next to mine. They are not allowed on my bed because I would like to have part of it.
Hope wrote:
and be calm in the house,
HAHAHA they are calm if they dont hear a noise and that is not often. I think I have PTSD from Sadie, it will be all quiet, ill be working on my computer concentrating and Sadie will bark and Thalie will have to peel me off the ceiling.
Hope wrote: and it would be totally awesome if he is affectionate...likes to be pet. Do I have the right breed? A vicious Pomeranian is out of the question. LOL ;) Eomoticon--winky face. (Not sure where to find the emos on here, but I'll learn). Kidding with you, of course. Any advise here would be helpful...thank you, HOPE

They are super affectionate for the most part. It depends on each one. Thalie is super affectionate, we can mushify her and she will just lay there and love it, I do therapy dog work with her too and she gets tons of luvin from kids. Now, Sadie, nope, no way, leave her alone and dont bother her. She is a cranky puss at the end of the day and wants to be left alone. you can lay next to her and scratch her but she likes her space.

FOr the most part, it sounds like what you have planned is okay, but if you are a newbie with dogs in general, you may have a very difficult time. These dogs are not for the first timer. They need to be handled a certain way and its not like any other breed, except a MAl, but they are basically the same dog.

They are not forgiving if you mess and will go up the leash at you and you wont like it. Even my super good nurtured Thalie HATES when I do something that she dosnt like and she will turn around and give me such a look. Sadie would NOT be good in the hands of a newb, she is very anxious and needs an experienced handler, not that I am the best by far, but If I didnt have years of training with this breed doing heavy work one of us would be dead and I know who that would be.
ImageImage
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

have you considered a German shepherd instead? if you got a working line im sure it could tick all your boxes too, and much more likely be able to chill indoors/ be a multi person dog/ get snuggled without restraint?
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

If you read through the threads on this forum, you'll learn a lot, and get some questions answered, even ones you hadn't thought of.

But you need to read without rose-colored glasses on. Don't romanticize the breed. They're tough, difficult dogs. A LOT of work that never ends.

Choose a breed, then an individual dog, based on ITS requirements and IF their needs fit your lifestyle--not because a breed/dog is what you want.

If you are not experienced with high-drive dogs, the DS is not for you, to start. Work on developing your handling skills, methods of training, etc.

You'll see reading the threads the issues that can arise with other animals, household members, training, etc.

We joke with newbies about stocking up the liquor cabinet when they get a DS-----none of us started out alcoholics....our DSs made us that way! :pint: :stickman: :D

Oh, and welcome!
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

This totally depends on the dog and if you start out with a pup you take a (very big) risk it may not turn out the way you think. Puppies like kids are a roll of the dice.

For guarding I would like to point you to your local laws on aggressive dogs because this is how you know what kind of trouble you'll be in if your dog bites someone. I use this as a marker - having a trained protection dog is like owning a gun and you have to be aware of the liability you are taking on. Having a DS without protection training can be like having a loose nuke - depending on the dog and its personality and your handling/training skills. Accidents happen and if it does you want to be aware of the consequences.

These dogs are wicked smart so having a job is a must. They are weary and neutral to strangers however they do not always start out that way. Aggression is a part of the breed as are certain strong characteristics that most people without knowledge of working dog breeds misinterpret. If you want to herd this depends a lot on the dog and I would be tempted to look at older dogs as most dogs in the U.S. are bred for working/sport/LE avenues so tend to have higher prey drives which cancels out the herding instinct so you want to know what the dog's drives are already - just my opinion and a head's up you may want end up searching a bit longer for the right dog to do herding.

As far as affection.... Some dogs like it others don't. My guy didn't want affection as a pup but now I can't peel him off me. If you mean affection with strangers or even friends this can also be a problem with DS - they are very select with who they like.

My overall take is that if you take your time, research and learn everything you can, handle some working dogs, and really commit, the RIGHT DS (which isn't every puppy or rescue or possible breeding) can be a "newbie" dog, but you'll still invest thousands upon thousands of hours in stress, alcohol, training, learning, cussing, praising, tearing your hair out, worry, mistakes, and knowledge preparing and raising it. It isn't easy, but not impossible - for the right type of dog and the understanding of the amount of commitment; it's like having a very smart child that isn't a "typical" dog. Having a good trainer is essential. The wrong type of DS can easily become a very scary and very dangerous dog. But you're on the right track with research!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

I have three of these little fur monsters. They are by far the greatest dogs I've ever owned and I've owned quite a few different dogs in my life. Trainer just yesterday was saying something stupid about how these types of dogs are only sold to other trainers or police officers. If that were true- then there wouldn't be any Dutchies or Mal's in existence because there wouldn't be enough people to buy them to keep the bloodlines from bottlenecking. They are essentially farm dogs in their origins, while they don't need a lot of space but they definitely need a lot of interaction. It also helps to own more than one because they will play for hours together.
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Old thread that the OP left, in a huff. Basically, he was asking for breeders that produced not only family-oriented DSs but cat-friendly ones.

Nice he wanted to keep his cat (and family) safe, but I've never heard of a DS breeder known for cat-friendly litters.

As far as owning more than one DS because it helps keep them busy with each other, that is not an absolute. It's wonderful that you have had an experience where that holds true--because of the dogs you own and your abilities. This wouldn't work for most of the average dog owners, IMO.

I love your passion for the breed, please understand that. I think you have a situation (for lack of a better word) that not many average Joes could handle. And handle well. Without the dog(s) receiving the short-end of the stick.