TRACE DOG one year ago this hour

In remembrance of our lost friends
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

TRACE DOG one year ago this hour

Post by johninny »

''Trace Dog's life ended about 9pm tonight, Tuesday, the 17th of July, 2012, as alert and smart as ever, but stoically suffering great physical impairment
I will have one last visit with Trace Dog at 1pm tomorrow after which he will be cremated in my presence.''

I wrote that message at this hour 1 year ago today to Trace Dog's various friends and caregivers. I did not know of any Dutch Shepherd community at that time, but found such here and elsewhere for DS and Malinois in the month that followed. I am deeply grateful to some of you who helped me through that period - through which navigation alone was becoming impossible.

as an autistic, there were two guiding forces in my life - my mother, Henrietta, and Trace Dog - with far too much time between them. they both helped guide me through human society on a safe path or subtly took over if I got lost. I literally owe my life to each of them - to which people who watched me for a long time have attested.

i wish I could explain Trace Dog in a way that everyone would get, but it seems impossible; I still after 13 years find him so improbable. he knew what I should do, when I should do it, and made it happen. he drew in good people and took precautions against some - and saved me from imminent and grave harm at least once. he deferred to me when I was functioning properly, but knew exactly when his social or other skills were needed and took control upon sensing disorientation on my part.

he was also the life of the party - something that could rarely be said of me! that attribute won him many admirers and won him access to people and places that most people would be hard to match. he attended Phillip Glass [ when one concert hall management said he could enter, Phil Glass indicated his presence was essential or the concert could not go forward], Laurie Anderson, and Lou Reed concerts, movie premiers, art fairs, exhibitions and auctions, and conversed with pop music celebrities and movie stars. he had an up-close-and-personal with President Clinton, sat and ate dinner at restaurant tables with high Kremlin officials, corporate chairs, the head of French Couture, and some truly extraordinary cultural leaders.

aside from these invitations, the kindest written tribute was received from the General Manager of the National Hotel in Miami Beach, where he was the one and only animal of any kind to ever be accepted as a guest at the hotel. in a letter in which the GM said he was speaking for himself and everyone on the staff - having called a meeting on this - he said ''Trace's regal presence added to the elegance and ambience of the hotel....Trace will always be welcome at the National.''

since Trace Dog's death, I have set about to try to help and to save Dutch Shepherds like one of their kind did for me. there have been 5. [ I have some reporting to do; I have been remiss.]

I will post some photographs as soon as I can to accompany this remembrance. THANK YOU ALL.
http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Re: TRACE DOG one year ago this hour

Post by Stacy_R »

John -
That was an amazing written memorial to your beloved Trace Dog...so heartfelt. What a great tribute to a great friend who was such a big part of your life. What a great way to honor his memory...this post as well as your rescue efforts.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

*sniff* beautiful
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
anniewang83
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Annie & Nick, first time owners of a dutch shepherd, named Amber, rescue from North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue (NADSR), fostered and trained by Kim Futch. Amber's favorite things to do are eating, chasing balls, chasing frisbees and napping with us in bed.

Post by anniewang83 »

what a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing John!
Nick & Annie (humans)
Amber (Dutchie)
currently living in New York City
Revhendo
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Howdy,
We are a family of rescues, (yeah, me included), in Southern California. My wife and I currently have two dogs, a Golden Retriever/ GSD mix by the name of Morgan, and our DS mix(?), Dinga Roo. We had never even heard of a Dutch Shepherd before until we were stalked by this nice lady in the pet store who asked us if Roo was a DS. Dang if that lady wasn't on to something. I just found this site, so here we are....

Kevin

Post by Revhendo »

John,
I'm so sorry to take so long to get to this. (Honestly, this is a hard section for me to read). This is a great commentary for a great friend. There are souls that will pass through your life and there are souls who will stay with you forever.
Kevin, Debby,
Dinga Roo (DS mix), John's Goddaughter and Tyson's twin,
and Morgan too (Retriever/GSD mix).
Loving memories of our GSD Charly who passed at 17 years. (4/18/13).
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Thank you for sharing your tribute with us. Thank you also for joining this family and contributing thoughtful, knowledgeable and caring posts. Trace Dog brought a wonderful man into this Dutch Shepherd world, and he has helped in so many way - saving lives through rescue is just a small part.

Lots of love to you John.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I feel your pain, John, as I was extremely depressed with the loss of my 14-year-old Lab at the same time you were going through this. It got worse for me too, because I lost my GSD mix just 3 months later.

The sunshine came back into my life when I rescued Radar shortly thereafter, and even though it's been a challenge, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Thank you for your wonderful tribute to Trace Dog and your mission to rescue DS's.

:DSangel:
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
feraloup
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.

Post by feraloup »

Only just now starting to catch up on a huge backlog of past posts. This is beautiful, John. What a great tribute to a great soul.
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George