My Dutch Shepherd just killed my other dog. Need Help.

charles_sj
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a 2 years old female dutch shepherd.

My Dutch Shepherd just killed my other dog. Need Help.

Post by charles_sj »

Hi, I am from Bolivia.

I feel devastated. I have a 2 years old female Dutch Shepherd who yesterday killed another of my dogs, a 3 years old female Golden Retriever. What has puzzled me is that there was NEVER any indication of aggressiveness of my dogs, not to people or between them, ever. I train agility with all of them. Again, I feel devastated.

I have 4 dogs in total. The other two dogs are a 7 years old male Golden Retriever and a 3 years old male Mixed Breed. As stated above, there was NEVER the slightest sign of aggression among them, either in the house or on the street, not to people, not with other dogs.

Yesterday I went to lunch at a restaurant for an hour, and when I returned home I found the female Golden Retriever on the floor bleeding. She died half an hour later. She had multiple very DEEP WOUNDS on top of both front legs and on her head and eyes. She was destroyed. The Ducth Shepherd had her mouth and teeth full of blood.

I got the Dutch Shepherd when she was 7 months old, from a guy who train his dogs for search and rescue, and he told me that this dog has no previous training at all.

I see only two problems that may have caused the Dutch Shepherd to kill my other dog, because I can find no other explanation.

1. On the park, she played very strong with other female dogs, caught them from their loin, like prey and made them mourn. So I guess she has no bite inhibition.

2. Her breeder spayed her a couple of months before I got her, but despite that, she kept coming zeal every 6 months, so one month ago I took her to the vet and operated again. The vet found half of uterus and both ovaries were intact, and proceeded to remove them. So I assume that she can have a very strong hormonal load.

Please help me know what to do with my Dutch Shepherd. I've always loved my dogs. They are my friends and buddies, but this situation has devastated me and depressed, and I don't know what to do with my Dutch Shepherd. Every time I look her I see the face bleeding from my Golden Retriever.

Charles
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: My Dutch Shepherd just killed my other dog. Need Help.

Post by centrop67 »

I am sorry for your loss.

It's frustrating sometimes that our dogs can't just say what's going on with them. However, some observed behavior can tell us a lot. The dog park behavior was a kind of a warning sign.

You also have a dog who just had surgery that sharply adjusted her hormones.

I know there are exceptions, but in general Dutch Shepherds get along with one person and just barely tolerate other family members. In this case, the tolerance was pushed over the limit.

For the safety of your other dogs, please find a new home for the Dutch Shepherd. Also, make sure you warn the new owners of this behavior.

Welcome to the forum, I am sorry you had to join for this mournful reason.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

That is very sad charles. I'm sorry for your loss and the difficult decision you must make.
charles_sj
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a 2 years old female dutch shepherd.

Post by charles_sj »

Thank you so much for your support, centrop67 and k9lexi. It has helped me cope with this difficult time and to make a more informed decision.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I am so very sorry. I dont think anyone can make this decision for you. You must sit down, alone or with your wife or partner, and think very long and hard.

I can understand that when you look at her you will see what she did.

Now that she has done this. will your other dogs be safe?

SHe MUST be crated for ever now when you go out or kept separate from the others.

It may have been a fight that got out of hand, not a malicious straight out wanting to kill but something that just happened.

You must make the decision, not anyone else
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage