Looking for trainer and behaviorist suggestions for fear aggressive Dutchie mix

chbrubaker
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Owner of a Dutchie mix who owns me, and happy about it

Looking for trainer and behaviorist suggestions for fear aggressive Dutchie mix

Post by chbrubaker »

Hi all, I have a 7 year old Dutchie mix in NYC who is having aggression and fear issues. Looking for trainer/behaviorist recommendations. I am broke so I get one shot, as I spent money on a trainer that was not a good fit. My gut says get recommendations from fellow Dutchie owners so here I am! Also cross posted on some FB forums. Trying to not post too much, but here are basics- aggression began after the age of four and after a 7 month Hiatus in Texas. Copes better outside of the city with space. Non working and not sure about his drive. Loves dogs (not on leash). Hates kids. Hates most people on the street unless they are white women or jogging. Once in a while responds really well to men. Has fearful aggression and also displays aggression that he seems very proud of. Needs confidence for sure. Does better when not in city, but this is where he is. I do not have any rehoming options (although I would to give him a better life. It would kill me but I would) Goes to dog daycare and sometimes to Pennsylvania if I travel for work- loves Pennsylvania and laying in the sun. Scared of water, scared of wind, sometimes scared of his own shadow. Never aggressive to me or any of the ones he has met before the age of 5. Doing some medical tests but vet does not think it is medical. Vet wants to prescribe medication. Having him in NYC is hard so I am sure my energy is not helping him one bit. Adopted at three months and fixed at three months, before that in a shelter in Tennessee. Used to hide in his crate as a puppy. Went to work with me for the first year and a half that I had him without any issues. Tolerates all people when at dog daycare, although still protective of the females. Freezes when muzzled, again this is probably on me.
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Re: Looking for trainer and behaviorist suggestions for fear aggressive Dutchie mix

Post by Tennessee3 »

Paging Steve Gossmeyer to the courtesy phone, Steve Gossmeyer to the white courtesy phone please!

OP there's a dog trainer on Long Island who is an active member here. That's who I'm referencing above lol. Good luck, hope your pup gets the help he needs!
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Looking for trainer and behaviorist suggestions for fear aggressive Dutchie mix

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Tennessee3 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:31 am Paging Steve Gossmeyer to the courtesy phone, Steve Gossmeyer to the white courtesy phone please!

OP there's a dog trainer on Long Island who is an active member here. That's who I'm referencing above lol. Good luck, hope your pup gets the help he needs!
Dogsoncueny.com I do travel to NYC from Long Island 917-828-0680 give me a call tomorrow
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

You can check out my training on Instagram as well dogsoncueny lots of videos and such of similar issues this is common with your dogs situation when bringing them to NYC
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Love this forum. This is why.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

Steve I know this isn't relevant to OP but do you have a trainer in SC you can recommend? Everyone I talk to goes "oh sure, basic dog behavior" and then hasn't a clue. Even if they say working dog, prior GSD training. Tonight has proven we need a better more engaging outlet for his talents. Any advice will be taken completely seriously. We do not intend upon any means adapt our DS to our life as much as we'd like to adapt to his needs.
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

DaHawaiianDS wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:32 am Steve I know this isn't relevant to OP but do you have a trainer in SC you can recommend? Everyone I talk to goes "oh sure, basic dog behavior" and then hasn't a clue. Even if they say working dog, prior GSD training. Tonight has proven we need a better more engaging outlet for his talents. Any advice will be taken completely seriously. We do not intend upon any means adapt our DS to our life as much as we'd like to adapt to his needs.
You know it's funny a girl I know through Instagram just called me needing help in SC and one of my ipo club members is supposed to be giving me info on a good trainer in SC for her... looks like I'll be referring you as well! I'll shoot you a pm when I have the info! Lol or f**k it bring him to ny haha
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Oh I hope steve can come help you!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

DaHawaiianDS wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:32 am Steve I know this isn't relevant to OP but do you have a trainer in SC you can recommend? Everyone I talk to goes "oh sure, basic dog behavior" and then hasn't a clue. Even if they say working dog, prior GSD training. Tonight has proven we need a better more engaging outlet for his talents. Any advice will be taken completely seriously. We do not intend upon any means adapt our DS to our life as much as we'd like to adapt to his needs.
Anthony Rosa Customized k9 +1 (704) 890-3580
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

When Steve is finished there, I need a curtesy visit here in California. What do you say, Steve?
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Joxgirl wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:47 am When Steve is finished there, I need a curtesy visit here in California. What do you say, Steve?
You pay for flight and hotel and food and training I'm down!!!
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:30 am
Joxgirl wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:47 am When Steve is finished there, I need a curtesy visit here in California. What do you say, Steve?
I'll work on that. 😜
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Joxgirl wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:10 am
I'll work on that. 😜
I'm too ugly to feed you by hand though lmao
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:30 pm

I'll work on that. 😜
Ha ha ha. Steve, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Joxgirl wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:50 pm

I'll work on that. 😜
Beer holder? Lmao 😂 well now I know who thinks I'm attractive hahahahahaha
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:48 pm
Joxgirl wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Beer holder? Lmao 😂 well now I know who thinks I'm attractive hahahahahaha
Hahaha.
I think many owners on here hold a beer from time to time. Lucky guy, you will get your pick. Whose it going to be? 😂
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

Aight what if I split the flight with you and you crashed in my spare bedroom.

I've got a smoker and I'd provide world class BBQ and good beer. Imperial stouts bourbon barrel aged mostly

Is that tempting enough... hmmmm lol
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Tennessee3 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:12 am

I've got a smoker and I'd provide world class BBQ and good beer. Imperial stouts bourbon barrel aged mostly

Haha appreciate the offer but sadly I'm not a drinker I prefer greener methods lol
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:17 am
Tennessee3 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:12 am

Haha appreciate the offer but sadly I'm not a drinker I prefer greener methods lol
We ain't got none of that down here, it all stops at the Mason Dixon line :wtg: :lol:

ETA: if you say you don't like a good BBQ though, I'm afraid we can't be friends :( LOL
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Mmmmmmmmmm...imperial stouts! Just had a new one last night; dogfish world wide stout. It was ggggoooooooddd
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor