Barking

Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Barking

Post by Joxgirl »

My barking problem.
First off I will admit that my training habits are probably too soft.
My problem I had this weekend was this:
We had guests stay with us this weekend that Rogue had never met. Two adults and 3 children 12, 10, 9.
As soon as they arrived Rogue barked like crazy from her expen which is central in the house. Then she barked like mad every time they walked by. Finally she acted like she liked the male adult as her bark changed in tone. He would make contact with her and talk to her. She never warmed up to the rest. She would be fine with the adult female in the room but when she walked past the pen the barking started over. The kids would passively aggressive tease Rouge by standing still near the pen. They thought it was funny. :yernuts: we did not.
I tried look, treats, Blibe, quiet and I resorted to pleading. Lol. I took her for long walks to wear her out. Kinda worked. If I had her out on her leash she would try her best to run up to everyone and through time with a sit stay this might have worked, but the adult female was not a fan of this idea in fear of being bitten.
At least Most of the day they were out hiking.
I need to get in touch with a trainer again. It’s really hard with working crazy all over the place night schedules, and going to school. Until I can get something in place, what should I do?
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Re: Barking

Post by Joxgirl »

Read in another post about having the DS meet the visitors outside. What do you all think about that? And then letting them enter before Rogue maybe?
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Joxgirl wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:18 pm Read in another post about having the DS meet the visitors outside. What do you all think about that? And then letting them enter before Rogue maybe?
That's not a bad idea... I prefer to teach a place command instead but that can work as well
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:59 pm
Joxgirl wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:18 pm Read in another post about having the DS meet the visitors outside. What do you all think about that? And then letting them enter before Rogue maybe?
That's not a bad idea... I prefer to teach a place command instead but that can work as well
Come on over and teach that place command.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Joxgirl wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:56 pm My barking problem.
Until I can get something in place, what should I do?
see a doctor
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Teach Place, Put on leash and teach down / stay. teach down, put in down, walk a bit away, turn, look at dog, no speaking other than initial, "down", As long as dog is down, continue, if dog moves, put back in down, and repeat, walk away a few feet, turn to dog, wait a second, go to dogs shoulder, turn forward, no looking at dog, stand a second, take leash, dog cant move yet, if dog moves, replace and start again, take leash, wait a second, heal command, and walk away , reward. Do this until you can walk out of room and dog does not move or bark, practice going to shoulder and then turning and walking away with out dog.

Practice until solid,

have someone come to door so you can practice. you MUST be firm and do over and over until dog listens.

Meeting outside is avoiding the root of the issue of dog not being quiet and waiting for command and dog doing what it wants.

you should get a trainer to come to the house and work with you.
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:45 pm
Joxgirl wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:56 pm My barking problem.
Until I can get something in place, what should I do?
see a doctor
BWWWWAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!
I thought the same thing.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Ahhhhh I don’t like doctors.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Joxgirl wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:42 pm
Haha I'll fly to you for two weeks and train! I require a room food and a place for Yoda to sleep lol I'll give you a good deal for the traininh
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:01 pm

Haha I'll fly to you for two weeks and train! I require a room food and a place for Yoda to sleep lol I'll give you a good deal for the traininh
In Utah, you can have the whole basement ( master suite and two rooms, kitchen, laundry and living room. Plus a jacuzzi tub in one of the bathrooms. Not to mention four Acers for training. And Yoda is welcome. Lol) Actually talked about possibly flying to NY maybe next year to train with you. Got a thumbs up.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

If you do, I will def hop on the ferry to come see
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Joxgirl wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:26 am
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:01 pm
In Utah, you can have the whole basement ( master suite and two rooms, kitchen, laundry and living room. Plus a jacuzzi tub in one of the bathrooms. Not to mention four Acers for training. And Yoda is welcome. Lol) Actually talked about possibly flying to NY maybe next year to train with you. Got a thumbs up.
Nice! Let me know when!!!! Dutch girl bring your ass down to the IPO club! That ferry is only 15 minutes from the field
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:44 am If you do, I will def hop on the ferry to come see
Hahaha. I will be the one being trained. I have a feeling a shock collar will be ‘round my neck.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Joxgirl wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:18 pm
Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:44 am If you do, I will def hop on the ferry to come see
Hahaha. I will be the one being trained. I have a feeling a shock collar will be ‘round my neck.
haha and Steve will have the controller.......... "correct !" **zap** " correct !" **zap""

That was the major thing to learn while i was training, was the commands need to be so quick. Humans are always late to the party
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

It will make for a great video
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Can you imagine. Lol. Soooooo funny Lisa. I m sitting here Laughing all alone in the break room
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Bwhahahaha yes! Remote collars for all!!!! If it was only that easy! Lol
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Lol. Have you ever tried one on yourself Steve?
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Lol . Made me Think of this!

Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Hahahaha!!!!!! That’s funny stuff
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG