On the radio this morning

Dietary/feeding issues
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

On the radio this morning

Post by TimL_168 »

SOOOOOOOO,
Listening to the local morning radio show today, the guys were giving crap to their producer for the way he feeds his French bulldog ( :eew: ). The guy cooks for the dog every day. A local vet called in and gave him a run down of raw feeding, telling him to include different stuff in order to supply all the necessary nutrients. Ok, I thought. Sounds good. Then she went on to say that he needs to be very careful about sourcing food, because while salmonella can make humans sick, it's fatal to dogs.
WTF. I've read in multiple places that dog's digestive tract is not hospitable to salmonella.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: On the radio this morning

Post by Dutchringgirl »

many vets unless its a holistic vet will condemn raw feeding ( my vet is awesome about it though). The dogs stomach is so acidic that it will kill salmonella, except if the dog is not healthy and other organisms are in there that overcome the acid.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage