First Heat

Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

First Heat

Post by Joxgirl »

Hadn’t happened yet for Rogue, but we are in that time frame. I am going to start with, for now I plan to keep her intact. I don’t know when or if I will have her spayed but this post is not about that.
I want to know what I need if anything for Rogue, when her cycle happens. I’ve had only one bitch before and it was years ago.

What I know is that there usually isn’t much blood. There could be drops
Keep her away from any males, including the fences. Not a problem. I keep her indoors and when she goes out it’s alwsys with me or husband.
The cycle can last up to a month or less.
She maybe moody or clingy

Anything else? Thanks for help.
If anyone wants to discuss spay vs intact we can start a new post. I know there was a good convo a few months ago.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: First Heat

Post by centrop67 »

I've never had an in-tact female dog, so I can't help, but hopefully this reply will trigger some thoughts from other members.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

En is my second intact female. So far, she acts an awful lot like my hybrid did. They're both very defensive in social situations that they normally wouldn't be. My hybrid was very cautious and reserved with people and other dogs(expected and appreciated), but when she was in heat she wouldn't LET a male dog near her :evil: . The only time I ever saw that dog go violent was when a male tried to mount her. My thinking on this was that it had to do with social structure, but the more I read about what actually happens in the wild, the more I tend to attribute it to just plain moodiness.
En started spotting on opening day of rifle season last year. She did seem a little less energetic in general. A tiny little bit. But she worked trails like there was nothing wrong. No loss of drive.
I think the most important thing to look into is the time of actual fertility. It's much longer than when the dog is spotting!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Thank you Tim.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Tim, please enlighten me on what a hybrid is in regards to your post.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Husky/Malamute/wolf
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

STUNNING!!!!!!
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Kenda
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi from Oklahoma! I have 2 outstanding Dutchies, a snarly dachshund, and 3 horses! I love long walks on the beach.. oops wrong kind of about section! ;) Seriouslyy though, I'm kinda new to the breed, just about a year, and we love taking our animals on trips, hiking, etc.

Post by Kenda »

Hi! My shadow is in season. Has been from November 25. We also have an intact male. Needless to say, my household is in chaos. We are not letting them breed at this time. It’s her first heat. She is still spotting😱, and it’s december 12! I think she went into the second, most fertile part about 4 days ago. That’s when Max quit eating, quit sleeping, howled, and forgot all his training and manners. We finally dosed him, her, and us with Benadryl and put Vick’s on his muzzle, around her legs and tail, used it in a humidifier, and bought stock in febreeze! So it’s working, and his appetite is finally back. We aren’t going to drug the household tonight, so yay! The dachshund was great! She ate everybody’s food, slept in everybody’s beds, stole everyone’s toys and bones. She’s like a Goldilocks type dog, with a devious mind! Lol
Kenda/mom/pack leader
Mike/OH/pack leader mate
Lovie/snarly 7 year old dachschund who sleeps, eats, pees, and snarls
Shadow/ gorgeous 9 month old puppy Dutch Shepherd female
Max/newest pack member, 4-6 year old male Dutch Shepherd
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Cute post. I’m glad the Vick’s is working. Great idea. I have two males but both have been neutered and hope she won’t effect them. I might need your tip and will get a bottle of the stuff just in case.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG