Lump

centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Lump

Post by centrop67 »

Radar started getting a lump on the back of his head right on the pointy part. He showed no signs of any pain in the area, and no signs of concussion.

The lump grew to just bigger than a golf ball over 3 days and then disappeared for a few days. Its started coming back a couple of days ago :huh:

I am going to the vet today for his annuals, so I hope to find out more, but I am concerned. Mostly, because it came back.

I thought maybe I had seen someone post about this before, but I couldn't find it in a search of the site.

Any thoughts?
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Lump

Post by TimL_168 »

I've never seen one come back! Aurora has one or two fatty cysts, but those don't go away...
Let us know!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

The vet said not to worry about it. He called it a bursa. Said it was probably caused by a bump to the head, and the location makes it real easy to re-injure with even the slightest bump. :?

I trust my vet, but I did my own quick research. It's probably more likely a Hygroma (aka "false" bursa) due to the location. True bursae are found where joints, bones, and tendons meet - like on the elbows.

Most will heal on their own. :wtg:
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Good news: the lump has disappeared again.

Now, the bad news... :eew:

Radar's blood work came back and he has seriously low white cell count. After an additional ($130) screening for tick disease it came back negative. :huh:

He'll be starting a round of antibiotics for a possible bacterial infection. His behavior hasn't changed, and he is as active as ever.

Vet says the lump is unrelated and still nothing to worry about.

Crossing my fingers. :?
Michael
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Wow. Fingers crossed!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Thanks Tim
Michael
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Aurora contacted a bacterial infection after a prolonged course of prednisone. It was a bitch to get her back to normal.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor