No vs Leave It

Obedience (non-protection) discussion. We have broken the two apart.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

No vs Leave It

Post by TimL_168 »

An earlier post this eve got me thinking. How much/how often do you see any overlap between the commands "No" and "Leave It" in your own work& training?
Myself, I've noticed I'm using Leave It mostly when she's close enough for me to see exactly what's going on. I think I'm using No a little more often when she's away and I see she's keyed up on something other than me. In that situation, I often stack NO and Leave It a few seconds apart after calling her name. For what it's worth, I called her off a rabbit just a couple hours ago with a sharp NO after she'd gotten about fifteen yards into a chase.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: No vs Leave It

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

TimL_168 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:38 am An earlier post this eve got me thinking. How much/how often do you see any overlap between the commands "No" and "Leave It" in your own work& training?
Myself, I've noticed I'm using Leave It mostly when she's close enough for me to see exactly what's going on. I think I'm using No a little more often when she's away and I see she's keyed up on something other than me. In that situation, I often stack NO and Leave It a few seconds apart after calling her name. For what it's worth, I called her off a rabbit just a couple hours ago with a sharp NO after she'd gotten about fifteen yards into a chase.
I never tell my dogs no or leave it! Ever!!! That’s what electric is for the dog gets a tap with the electric and it learns it’s behavior causes the correction not you! Then the dog never waits for you to say no or leave it and learns the behavior is undesirable on its own
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

good point Steve, but what about people with out Ecollar? I have a basset that I taught Leave it. I never use 'no" though. The basset knows leave it, Bassets arent destroyers but they will take and chew everything. I say " leave it" and she does. Back to the DS,

IN training for RIng, we had the collars, so we used them since in the trial ring, you cant speak, so we used them to teach the dog food refusal.

At home. it is "leave it" I wont put a collar on the basset. Sadie Learned leave it early on then learned what she could play with and what she could not.

I find "leave it " very good if you do not want to use a collar or do not know how. Yes, trainers are very important for this breed and they will train you and your dog how to work with one.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

for pulling off a chase, it is what ever term you have for " heal" or " come" . Thalie and Sadie are French. I also trained them to recall on the whistle. That has actually worked great for thalie now that she is hard of hearing, although at 15, she is hardly chasing things anymore.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

I use leave it in German. So far it works. If she saw a rabbit, she might want to chase it but not sure. At this point, if she wanted to chase it, I don’t think she would “leave it”. It’s something that we will definitely need to work on. Don’t want her getting any little creature in her mouth.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Kenda
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi from Oklahoma! I have 2 outstanding Dutchies, a snarly dachshund, and 3 horses! I love long walks on the beach.. oops wrong kind of about section! ;) Seriouslyy though, I'm kinda new to the breed, just about a year, and we love taking our animals on trips, hiking, etc.

Post by Kenda »

'IN training for RIng, we had the collars, so we used them since in the trial ring, you cant speak, so we used them to teach the dog food refusal."

I'm pretty sure Max has had food refusal training. The issue is how do i get him to eat from me while not breaking this training? We are still learning the full scope of his training. He is better than me, so at anytime, i can screw him up. We are in obedience classes now, more for me to learn how to communicate with him, not necessarily for him to learn the commands. Its funny though- he looks at me sometimes like i'm an idiot.
Kenda/mom/pack leader
Mike/OH/pack leader mate
Lovie/snarly 7 year old dachschund who sleeps, eats, pees, and snarls
Shadow/ gorgeous 9 month old puppy Dutch Shepherd female
Max/newest pack member, 4-6 year old male Dutch Shepherd