Anyone else have a long haired DS?

Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Anyone else have a long haired DS?

Post by Mark77 »

My dog ended up being a long haired from what I can tell. He has a really bushy tail, long hair on his chest, neck and back along with the sides of his face. I really like the way he looks, like a little wolf. Would love to eventually breed him to another long haired, so that is why I haven't had him fixed yet.

M
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Re: Anyone else have a long haired DS?

Post by vneerland »

Mark. I know that there are some long hairs in the US, but I am sure they will turn their noses up at your dog. Your dog comes from a KNPV background and is a recessive long hair. The hair is longer than usual, but not as long as a full FCI longhair would look like. It might in a couple of generations but still.....the LH fanciers are mostly breeding for looks, not for work and so your line and pedigree does not fit.
Without passing judgement on your breeding plans, you might have to consider that there is a lot more to take into consideration before breeding, than just a cool looking dog. (Health, temperament, drive, working results,etc etc, plus the likelyhood of finding good homes for all the pups)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

vneerland wrote:Mark. I know that there are some long hairs in the US, but I am sure they will turn their noses up at your dog. Your dog comes from a KNPV background and is a recessive long hair. The hair is longer than usual, but not as long as a full FCI longhair would look like. It might in a couple of generations but still.....the LH fanciers are mostly breeding for looks, not for work and so your line and pedigree does not fit.
Without passing judgement on your breeding plans, you might have to consider that there is a lot more to take into consideration before breeding, than just a cool looking dog. (Health, temperament, drive, working results,etc etc, plus the likelyhood of finding good homes for all the pups)

Actually that is his summer coat. In the winter he has his long coat. He sheds it all as we get temps that hover over 95 for at least five weeks at a time here- plus Cincinnati is very muggy in the summer, heat index usually hovering near a hundred. I've seen pics of a breeder on here's website that has Long Haired Dutch Sheperd's, and he honestly looks to exactly the same as their dogs with his winter coat.

Anyway, his temperament is exactly why I want to breed him. He's very kind, very sweet, extremely intelligent- learns new commands very quickly and is actually better behaved obediance wise than the local K9 dogs who train across the street in the park. He was professionaly trained by a K9 trainer so the commands are all the same, though the local "Schutzhund Club" won't allow Dutch Shepherds and turns their nose up at him. I actually bring my dog over there when they are there just to watch them.

I personally don't care about FCI versus UKC or whatever, I just like the long haired Dutch Shepherds because we get cold temps here in the winter and they have a heavier coat for that type of environment. I'll breed him someday only because I think we need more long haired dutch shepherds to breed from. If anything, mixing a KNPV with an FCI would strengthen the lines for future generations.

M
credto
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: avid dog care giver and novice trainer

Post by credto »

my Tucker has a nice coat, :DSlove:
Tom & Teri
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Mark77 wrote: Actually that is his summer coat. In the winter he has his long coat. He sheds it all as we get temps that hover over 95 for at least five weeks at a time here- plus Cincinnati is very muggy in the summer, heat index usually hovering near a hundred. I've seen pics of a breeder on here's website that has Long Haired Dutch Sheperd's, and he honestly looks to exactly the same as their dogs with his winter coat.

Anyway, his temperament is exactly why I want to breed him. He's very kind, very sweet, extremely intelligent- learns new commands very quickly and is actually better behaved obediance wise than the local K9 dogs who train across the street in the park. He was professionaly trained by a K9 trainer so the commands are all the same, though the local "Schutzhund Club" won't allow Dutch Shepherds and turns their nose up at him. I actually bring my dog over there when they are there just to watch them.
Training your dog, and titling your dog shows 2 very different levels of character. If you are interested in training your dog to a level that proves him as a breeding candidate (provided health clearances all turn out OK), check out the Pet Athletic Club there in Cincy. Mic, Scott and Stefanie are very knowledgeable about the working breeds and their temperament. They are also a very supportive and competitive club who can help you achieve a goal of titling.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown