Standard types

General "standards" discussion not specifically related to the coat variety
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Re: Standard types

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Oh :P you guys! Just criticize already! ;) lol

:D

We're big girls, we can take it!
Kelly
Koenig
FG167
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am/have been involved in Dock Jumping, Agility, Rally, Tracking, Flyball and Search and Rescue and Schutzhund :-)

Post by FG167 »

GSDNanny wrote:Oh and Falon, I just get chill bumps with every picture I see of Madix that shows that distinct brindling so well in the photos. My Zip is very dark and her brindle coloring is golden-red so it isnt very visible.
Really? LOL that's neat :) I hardly notice his brindling except in photos because usually I am paying attention to his face and ear set and they're all black ;)

turnnburn52984 wrote:Oh :P you guys! Just criticize already! ;) lol

:D

We're big girls, we can take it!
Yeah!! It's not going to change my opinion of Monster-face! He's already neutered anyway so even if he's hideously ugly he wasn't meant as a breeding prospect! ;)
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

I wish I could 'like' the last half of your post Falon!!! :D Koe is cut also, so I'm with ya!
Kelly
Koenig
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

while we wait for a reply of a "real" judge, here's a nice one too keep you guys busy :D

How about the eyes of my dogs, what do you think of them, considering the standard, is one better than the other, and if so, why?

Ivil

Dingo
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

:twisted: Let me run to the kitchen to get some almonds, Marjolein..... ;)
Since the eyes are supposed to be almost shaped, I assume that I can just stick an almond on the screen and where it fits best, that's the best eye shape?? :player:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

vneerland wrote::twisted: Let me run to the kitchen to get some almonds, Marjolein..... ;)
Since the eyes are supposed to be almost shaped, I assume that I can just stick an almond on the screen and where it fits best, that's the best eye shape?? :player:
LOL. That's what I was thinking....well almost :-) I didn't consider the use of tools.

But I was thinking that Ivil's eyes draw up more in the front making the shape more asymmetrical.

I need to look up the standard again, but the other big difference that I notice is the position and direction of the eyes in the skull. Ivil's eyes are pointed much more frontally, which I assume would give her more overlap of vision in the front and therefore better depth perception, but less periphery vision. I'm not sure which is more correct though.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Go get some Almonds Juut :dsangry: :dsrazz:
Christie M wrote: But I was thinking that Ivil's eyes draw up more in the front making the shape more asymmetrical.
yup, Ivil's eyes are not as well shaped as Dingo's.
Christie M wrote:I need to look up the standard again, but the other big difference that I notice is the position and direction of the eyes in the skull. Ivil's eyes are pointed much more frontally, which I assume would give her more overlap of vision in the front and therefore better depth perception, but less periphery vision. I'm not sure which is more correct though.
[/quote]

ofcourse we also have male-female here, so logically Dingo's head has a different shape, and the eyes are placed accordingly. But, Ivil's eyes are set a bit "too deep".

Than there is the color...
Dingo's eyes are lighter than Ivil's, but he has a brighter colour in general, so it fit's. Really bright eyes are not wanted, they change the look of the whole dog. Ivil has a very nice colour eyes, dark.
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

Christie M wrote:I need to look up the standard again, but the other big difference that I notice is the position and direction of the eyes in the skull. Ivil's eyes are pointed much more frontally, which I assume would give her more overlap of vision in the front and therefore better depth perception, but less periphery vision. I'm not sure which is more correct though.
I am trying to see that, Christie (your remark about the eye being pointed more frontally) To me, the width does appear proportionally, but I am truly trying to see what it is that you see. (as far as position) I do see the shape, of course, but fail to detect the positioning fault. Marjolein says 'deeper'? You will have to elaborate on that, Marjo.
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

vneerland wrote:
I am trying to see that, Christie (your remark about the eye being pointed more frontally) To me, the width does appear proportionally, but I am truly trying to see what it is that you see. (as far as position) I do see the shape, of course, but fail to detect the positioning fault. Marjolein says 'deeper'? You will have to elaborate on that, Marjo.
Deeper, as in set more into the skull, further away from the nose, so to speak :roll: Does that make sense? It's hard to see on these pictures though, you would need some pics taken sideways.. :dsdoubt:
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

Marjolein wrote:Deeper, as in set more into the skull, further away from the nose, so to speak :roll: Does that make sense? It's hard to see on these pictures though, you would need some pics taken sideways.. :dsdoubt:
Wider? Eyes further apart from each other? :?
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

vneerland wrote:
Marjolein wrote:Deeper, as in set more into the skull, further away from the nose, so to speak :roll: Does that make sense? It's hard to see on these pictures though, you would need some pics taken sideways.. :dsdoubt:
nope, that too but that's because Dingo's skull is bigger :roll: They are set DEEPER, don't know how to explain :oops:
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

Marjolein sent some invitations :stickman: to Dutch breed judges and it was accepted! 8-)
Bear with us. Time for the judge to join, and then I suggest we make a new 'online show' thread for those who want to give it a try.
Maybe start digging out a good side shot (standing) a frontal shot that shows enough of the eyes and ear set, and a face close up from the side.
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

vneerland wrote:Marjolein sent some invitations :stickman: to Dutch breed judges and it was accepted! 8-)
Bear with us. Time for the judge to join, and then I suggest we make a new 'online show' thread for those who want to give it a try.
Maybe start digging out a good side shot (standing) a frontal shot that shows enough of the eyes and ear set, and a face close up from the side.

That is downright AWESOME!! :hail: :cheer: :w00t: :muffy:

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Marjolein wrote:
vneerland wrote:
nope, that too but that's because Dingo's skull is bigger :roll: They are set DEEPER, don't know how to explain :oops:
I don't know if I can explain it better, but maybe that's what I'm seeing and saying it wrong.

If you look at the outside edges of Ivil's eyes, there is an external crest of the eye socket - pushing it out from the skull. To me, that makes them look like the are also more pointed forward. But with Dingo, the entire orbit is flush with the rest of the skull, showing so delineation of bone moving into the eye.

Does that make any sense?
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

Christie M wrote:
I don't know if I can explain it better, but maybe that's what I'm seeing and saying it wrong.

If you look at the outside edges of Ivil's eyes, there is an external crest of the eye socket - pushing it out from the skull. To me, that makes them look like the are also more pointed forward. But with Dingo, the entire orbit is flush with the rest of the skull, showing so delineation of bone moving into the eye.

Does that make any sense?[/quote]

to me it does :dswink"
syzygy
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have two wonderful van Neerland Dutch Shepherds and play a little at UKC events.

Post by syzygy »

This is great--I'll need to talk Judith into helping me get some pictures of my two girls--my old camera is not working and the cheap little replacement I have is a disgrace. Both of my dogs are athletic and smart but far from the standard if you were to critique for conformation. At the same time, I like both girls a lot--very different in type. One heavy and chunky, the other almost looks like a lurcher. The racy one can outrun sighthounds on a lure coursing field. Unfortunately that is not part of her job description as a Dutch Shepherd :?. I find that the standard is loose enough to be open to some interpretation though--which is actually a good thing for the health of a breed. When I have shown my fat girl and a very nice dog of Judith's together, the fat one actually went over the good one a few times. It can all be a matter of taste sometimes. And the fact that judges in the USA have no experience with a DS. They often try to compare them to a GSD. :dsshock: Personally I am more into movement and soundness than anything else in the conformation ring, but I can't ignore dashing good looks!

Ellisa
"I have gone off to find myself. If I get back before I return, keep me here."
Kristie E
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Post by Kristie E »

here is a front shot of Gwen... when she was younger my husband said she looked like a fruit bat... :o
Attachments
sitting pretty.jpg
sitting pretty.jpg (9.96 KiB) Viewed 6226 times
Gwen n her fruit bat ears (200 x 150).jpg
Gwen n her fruit bat ears (200 x 150).jpg (7.58 KiB) Viewed 6226 times
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

My Thor has a classic Roman nose. Bet that isn't in any standards!

Kristie...that shot of Gwen "sitting pretty" looks as if it were taken of Thor in my house. Marble and wrought iron coffee table, champagne-colored carpet (which is always wonderful during a loose bowel day when you're at work) and that intent, eager expression of the fruit bat.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

You may have had a fruit bat in Gwen, but when Thor's previous owner sent my his baby photos...he was nothing short of an African wild dog (markings, coloring, ears and all). His markings aren't as pronounced now....
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Kristie E
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Post by Kristie E »

I have some very cute "baby" shots of Gwen from her first owner. I also get the distinct impression that my every move is being watched and scrutinized. The word RAPTOR pops into my head. (as in the Jurasic Park- we are so smart and we eat people for snacks type raptor) Gwen has a slight GSD bump on her nose and I would get a better picture if I could get her to freeze for longer than one second. As for your reference to the "nice champagne carpet" I agree, just #$%$#^ wonderful :dswink" for those "I ate a whole lot of something in the field I shouldn't have days."
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve