Superficial injury 3 days before the show

This area is for the discussion of conformation.
Forum rules
Please post at your own risk. Know that this is not a true conformation show, and that the comments made are based on pictures only and might not be a good reflection of what could be seen in real life. Pictures need to be owned by the poster or used with verifiable permission of the owner. The dog in the submitted picture should be owned OR bred by the poster, OR you should be able to show that you have explict permission from the dogs owner. You may be asked for verification . The admin reserves the right to remove posts when permission cannot be verified. No rights can be derived from these posts.
simple17
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My wife and I have an dutch shepherd puppy (9.5 months as of this writing). We are interesting in showing her and going through agility courses when she is old enough.

Superficial injury 3 days before the show

Post by simple17 »

Three days before our first conformation show, my dutch stumbled in the back yard while playing and scraped her leg on the concrete patio just above the dew claw. It is very superficial scrape, but there is a noticeable bald spot about 1" wide x 0.25" high. A little bit of road rash that I think will be healed by showtime, but the fur won't grow back that quickly. She is 9 months old and competing in the puppy class. What reaction/response can I expect from the judges? Should we consider removing her from the event?

As a proud parent I had to attached a picture of our dutch. This was taken a few days prior to the injury (no gory wound pictures). The scrape doesn't seem to bother her in the least. She is was 51 lbs and 23.25" tall at 9 months (about 2 weeks ago).
Attachments
download_20140722_141718.jpeg
download_20140722_141718.jpeg (464.79 KiB) Viewed 15414 times
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Re: Superficial injury 3 days before the show

Post by alspyce »

Go To The Show!!! Judge may ask what happened, but it shouldn't matter much in Puppy Classes. It will be great experience for both you and your pup. Very pretty pup - good luck! If she starts limping you can always pull her from her class, but the experience is what you should be focused on right now anyway. Make it as much fun as possible for her. Let us know how she does!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
simple17
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My wife and I have an dutch shepherd puppy (9.5 months as of this writing). We are interesting in showing her and going through agility courses when she is old enough.

Post by simple17 »

We went to the show. She was the only dutch shepherd there. By the 4th show she had things figured out and scored a 3rd place in the herding group.
Attachments
Cara - MDMB - 3rd Group - home.resized.jpg
Cara - MDMB - 3rd Group - home.resized.jpg (135.42 KiB) Viewed 15358 times
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

congratulations. was there any comment on her scraped leg?
did you both have fun? was it a first for you also?
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
simple17
Just Whelped

Post by simple17 »

No one noticed the scratch on her leg, or if they did no one mentioned it. The show was a first for me, my wife went to dog shows in Germany when she was young, but UKC is a lot different. We took turns showing off our Dutch Shepherd, Cara. There were lots of questions about her breed and where we got her (Cher Car Kennels, St Johns, Michigan). Only 2 or 3 people there actually recognized her as a Dutch Shepherd. We did 2 shows on Friday, but only the morning show on Sat and Sun. Friday was a long day, I think we all enjoyed doing the single morning show Sat/Sun and taking the afternoon off. Although Cara seems to enjoy the extra attention, I think she prefers playing Frisbee. She will be 10 months next week.
Attachments
Cara - Jawz.jpg
Cara - Jawz.jpg (434.98 KiB) Viewed 15348 times
jump4_16x9.resized.jpg
jump4_16x9.resized.jpg (407.89 KiB) Viewed 15348 times
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Congratulations! Hope you all had fun!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

That sounds like a lot of fun. I really like UKC, although my current gang doesn't do conformation. If your wife is used to Germany shows, you may like the IABCA shows too.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!! glad you guys had fun
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

FYI, this is a year-old post; OP has three posts, none since a year ago that I can tell.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Raven wrote:FYI, this is a year-old post; OP has three posts, none since a year ago that I can tell.

Opps
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

:lol: I've NEVER done this. :whistle:
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

Raven wrote:FYI, this is a year-old post; OP has three posts, none since a year ago that I can tell.
What?! When did it turn to 2015?
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

LyonsFamily wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:41 am
What?! When did it turn to 2015?
Seriously, when did 2017 happen..?
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

And now here it is 2018
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG