Old Dog Ripley - what is she, anyways?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
CoraCorva
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Just on here because I'm curious if my supposed Dutch Shepherd/pitbull mix actually has any DS appearance! I also have a GSD/malamute and I work at a farm with 2 awesome and very smart LGDs.

Old Dog Ripley - what is she, anyways?

Post by CoraCorva »

Hey, Dutch Shepherd people! This is my dog Ripley! She's absolutely the most intelligent, mischievous, athletic, and quick-learning dog I've ever been lucky enough to call my own, but I don't know her parentage. I got her from a shelter about 13 years about when she was a little over a year old.

The shelter described her as "a shepherd/boxer mix" on one form, and a "Dutch Shepherd Dog mix" on another form. I'm not sure what's correct! Here are some photos. Her head seems a bit too square at the back to be DS, and her tail seems to thin and curved. She's also kind of a lighter colour (she has faded with age) and she's got a white spot on her chest. If she's not DS, maybe you guys can help me out with what she could be instead! I love her to pieces, and for all I care she's part zebra!

this is her today - she is 14 and quite grey!

Rip and her puppy friend helping with some remodeling

Thanks for having a look! Sorry I don't have any better front-views, she's always in motion
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Old Dog Ripley - what is she, anyways?

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Dutchie mix
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

I love how she is involved in all climates. Nice dog
CoraCorva
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Just on here because I'm curious if my supposed Dutch Shepherd/pitbull mix actually has any DS appearance! I also have a GSD/malamute and I work at a farm with 2 awesome and very smart LGDs.

Post by CoraCorva »

Thanks, you guys! Think you're probably right. Not quite sure what the other breeds there are, but possibly some bully breed.