Do I have a lab/dutch shepherd or something else entirely?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
dinosaurparent
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: 6 month old mischievous dutch shepherd/lab mix

Do I have a lab/dutch shepherd or something else entirely?

Post by dinosaurparent »

This is my puppy Arthur, he's about 6 months old. The shelter listed him as a lab/shepherd but the vet thinks he's mostly shepherd. The rest of his litter were fully brindle, he was the only one that was black with brindle paws. His ears are starting to point up. He comes from a reservation in New Mexico. What do you think? I'm not sure if temperament is any indicator but he loves people, is pretty reserved around other dogs, super smart but also really stubborn and mischievous, and has loads of energy.
Attachments
IMG_1204.jpeg
IMG_1204.jpeg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 6901 times
IMG_1153 2.jpeg
IMG_1153 2.jpeg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 6901 times
IMG_1354.jpeg
IMG_1354.jpeg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 6901 times
Jay knowles
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Re: Do I have a lab/dutch shepherd or something else entirely?

Post by Jay knowles »

I have no idea what the dog is but I’m sure far more knowledgeable people will be along soon. For me he’s a great looking dog and that’s all that matters. Jay
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

He is so stinkin cute !!!! Brindle can be sooooooooooo many breeds. who knows. I do see lab though.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

dinosaurparent wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:29 pm This is my puppy Arthur, he's about 6 months old. The shelter listed him as a lab/shepherd but the vet thinks he's mostly shepherd. The rest of his litter were fully brindle, he was the only one that was black with brindle paws. His ears are starting to point up. He comes from a reservation in New Mexico. What do you think? I'm not sure if temperament is any indicator but he loves people, is pretty reserved around other dogs, super smart but also really stubborn and mischievous, and has loads of energy.
100% german shepherd mix and I'd say mostly german shepherd... everything about the dogs look and color and expression screams gsd
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

And german shepherd mixes are often brindle
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:24 am And german shepherd mixes are often brindle
Thats interesting. I didnt know that.
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Dutchringgirl wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:47 am
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:24 am And german shepherd mixes are often brindle
Well sable pretty much is brindle and when mixed it can throw that for sure
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:28 pm
Dutchringgirl wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:47 am
Well sable pretty much is brindle and when mixed it can throw that for sure
Gotcha
ImageImage
dinosaurparent
Just Whelped

Post by dinosaurparent »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:24 am
dinosaurparent wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:29 pm This is my puppy Arthur, he's about 6 months old. The shelter listed him as a lab/shepherd but the vet thinks he's mostly shepherd. The rest of his litter were fully brindle, he was the only one that was black with brindle paws. His ears are starting to point up. He comes from a reservation in New Mexico. What do you think? I'm not sure if temperament is any indicator but he loves people, is pretty reserved around other dogs, super smart but also really stubborn and mischievous, and has loads of energy.
100% german shepherd mix and I'd say mostly german shepherd... everything about the dogs look and color and expression screams gsd
Interesting...I couldn't really find any images of short haired brindle GSDs so I thought it was unlikely as the rest of the litter were 100% short haired brindle, he was the only one with different coloring.
dinosaurparent
Just Whelped

Post by dinosaurparent »

Jay knowles wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:57 pm I have no idea what the dog is but I’m sure far more knowledgeable people will be along soon. For me he’s a great looking dog and that’s all that matters. Jay
Thanks Jay! I agree, I'd just like to know out of curiosity more than anything!
dinosaurparent
Just Whelped

Post by dinosaurparent »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:28 pm He is so stinkin cute !!!! Brindle can be sooooooooooo many breeds. who knows. I do see lab though.
Thank you! I think so too :) Yeah, who knows really. He even looks a bit like a Tennessee treeing dog although that seems fairly unlikely. I reckon he must be a bit lab at least...if nothing else because he completely adores every human being he meets and tries to eat the weirdest shit (he went for a shard of glass on the street the other day :shock: )!
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

My Snickers - a GSDxLab - had those brindle socks, but the coat of your dog makes me think there's something else there too.

Seeing Arthur made me a little sad thinking back on my Snickers dog. :cry:

Cute dog, though. :wtg:
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

centrop67 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:41 pm My Snickers - a GSDxLab - had those brindle socks, but the coat of your dog makes me think there's something else there too.

Seeing Arthur made me a little sad thinking back on my Snickers dog. :cry:

Cute dog, though. :wtg:
If I had to guess I'd say this is a gsd x dutchie
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

If his ears stand hell look similar to this but darker I'd say
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Here's a pic
Attachments
20190315_125856.jpg
20190315_125856.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 6816 times
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

My first guess would have been Weimaraner mix based on the nose, appearance of fur texture and eyes in the last picture.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs