K9 Product Series - Leads/Leashes

Found a great canine related product? Give it a review - good, bad, or meh
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

K9 Product Series - Leads/Leashes

Post by centrop67 »

The idea is to have a broader understanding of the equipment, its use, origin, and ups and downs. From time to time (I can't commit to a set schedule.), I will post an item and ask for comments.

Specifically, I am looking to answer these questions from the members of the forum:
What is it?
Where'd it come from?
Have you used it?
When's the best time, or what situations would you use it?
What are the positives?
What are the negatives?
Where's the best place to get it?

For this post, let's talk about leashes and leads.

from Paws-For-A-Cause.com

This is a relatively basic tool for a dog owner, but I know there's a lot of varieties, and in some cases, some specific use for certain types - Short ones, long ones, flat ones, studded and bejeweled ones.

I used a long rope lead to work heel and recall with Radar. I eventually got a long flat lead for our hikes, but I think the flat one would have been better for the training.

Here's some additional questions to answer:
  • Do you have a favorite?
  • Do you use more than one type, and if so, why?
  • What's the most outrageous one you've ever seen?
  • Have you ever just tied a rope to a clip and made your own?
  • I don't think anyone on here would try to use a retractable with a DS, but if so tell us your story.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: K9 Product Series - Leads/Leashes

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Common materials:
Nylon (pros - light, easy to buy,, inexpensive, many different kinds from military grade to cheap. Cons - frays, easy to chew through, carries scent, short lasting)
Biothane (pros - many colors, weatherproof, mold and mildew resistant, does not rot, easy to disinfect, long lasting. Cons - if it has rivets you need to check for tearing, can be sliced, slightly heavier than leather depending on type)
Leather (pros - common, long lasting, durable. Cons - requires maintenance, stretches, rots, 2 colors, not weatherproof, can stain, heavier than nylon)
Rope (pros - thicker, easier to handle than a flat lead, great for field dogs since it resists fraying and picking up brambles. Cons - can still fray after a lot of use, can be chewed, heavy)
Bungee (pros - great for building drive, versatile, can be used to stop pulling. Cons - expensive, specific uses)

Attachments:
Snap - your most common type of attachment point. Durable. Works fine. Spring can be broken, gate can stick and allow dog to get off leash.
Alligator - heavy duty. Great for agitation. Has a little lock you need to flip. Lock can break.
FROG clip - heavy. Fail proof. Strong. Can get stuck in brambles. Heavy. Easy to use. Good choice for escape artists.
MASH Clip - light weight. Strong. Fail proof. My choice for escape artists if you don't want a heavy attachment.
HK Snap - push gate. Easy to use. Not a great choice for escape artists. Great for rapid deployments.
Snap shackle - pull release. Strong but should be used with caution. Great for rapid deployments.

Lengths
Traffic/pull tab 6 inches to 3 feet. Used to keep the dog close in tight situations, or as an attachment on a prong collar to correct a dog when the leash is attached to flat collar.
Obedience tab Usually 2-3 feet. Thin and lightweight. Used to help proof off leash obedience such as heeling. Lightweight so the dog can't feel the weight of the leash and thinks it's not tethered.
Drag line 4-10 feet. Thin line with no handle. Used for puppies around the house so you can keep an eye on them.
Lead 6 feet standard leash.
Waist Leash Depending on the company making it, usually a 3-6 foot leash with a hook on the end (handle optional) to be attached to your waist via belt.
Slip lead Instead of a clip, there's a ring at the end, and you slid the leash through that to make an adjustable loop to close around the head.
Tactical leash 7-8 foot leash with a ring on the handle to allow you to loop the leash and wear it around your waist or chest to keep the dog close and hands free.
Long line 10-50 foot line of varying widths used for recalls, distance work, or tracking.
Tracking line 8-50 foot line, usually on the thinner side, used for tracking. Length depends on the sport.

There are leashes with built in handles which are essentially a leash and traffic tab built in.

My personal choices in leads vary with what I want to do. I prefer biothane because I hate the weight of leather, the width of it, and I feel like I don't handle it well. I also prefer my biothane sewn and not riveted as I've had many riveted leads fail on me. That's just personal preference. The nylon leads I have are military grade mil-spec nylon since I like the feel and durability of it the best. I have one rope drag line I take to the ocean and the rest is biothane.

I have in my arsenal: a general 6 foot biothane leash with ring on the handle for keys, 3 foot lightweight obedience tab, 6 foot slip lead, 10 foot nylon drag line, 15 foot rope drag line, 30 foot thin biothane tracking line, and 7 foot nylon tactical lead. I probably have more lying around somewhere.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

I had a double layer 1"nylon leash with snaps at each end and D rings stitched near the middle and near each end. It was an amazingly versatile leash. I could tether the dog to just about anything. The best part was that I couldset it up as 3', 4', 6', or a shoulder loop leash. I must have left it at a client's house. A couple years back. I looked and looked for the same thing for a while. The closest I could find was a leather model sold as a "Euro lead". It works, but it's rings are stitched opposite of the directional force.
While each material had it's individual benefits as previously described, I really prefer nylon to other materials. We spend a lot of time in the woods, and the nylon performs best for what we do.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Coming back to this.
Had anyone ever had any long term working experience with the biothane lines? I'm using one in the yard and in the field, and I'm curious about them breaking down from sunlight.
Also, my mother used to(probably still does) braid leads out of marine rope and fittings. I wish I still had the one I used as a teen...
I was working on making an (sort of) emergency leash out of para cord that could stay attached to a collar and be yanked out with a finger loop. I think I saw a product that was very similar a few months back, but can't remember where. I lost the motivation to complete it.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I have a bunch. Thalie dosnt need anything special, she is rarely on a leash anyway. Sadie, I have a leash with a loop right at the collar so I can get a close hold when we are approaching others.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Tim - I've used biothane for roughly 2 years and the only problem I've had is either ripping from a river or an edge gets ripped by something sharp, like a knife or standing on a key, both of which requires some force. I use in it sun and left it in cars and haven't had a problem. It's essentially plastic coated leather so unless you're reaching extremely high temps it should be fine.

Check out Modern Icon - they have some leashes that fold into pockets that hang on a collar. They can also custom make something. I also think Ruff Wear makes one... Quick Draw leash or something. I think they're also called rip stop leashes from another company but could be wrong.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Thanks! Definitely rings a bell. I may look into it again. The idea dawned on me a few years ago. Rarely use a leash with Aurora, and figured it'd be best to have something right there if anyone ever have me grief. She's so much nicer off leash.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor