Dawn for the shorthair ones?

Joker
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We are city folks turned country homesteaders on an 80ac
plot of land. Currently we raise chickens and pigs with plans to add goats and maybe a cattle one day. I am w/o a dog right now and doing research before getting my next 'hired hand' :)

Dawn for the shorthair ones?

Post by Joker »

Anyone have, hah why even ask since we all do :D , opinions on shampoo for their dogs? I used to use the mane 'n tail and the breeder said when he has to bath his dogs (pups get a bath on delivery day) he just uses Dawn. This is an older gentleman and made sense to me. That is what is used to clean ducks and such in oil spills right? I never heard of using Dawn so asking others what they find works well for bath days.
Erick
Mika the Velcro dog at my feet
https://www.youtube.com/@tlchomestead
Jean512
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: from US now living in Finland, enjoying life with a long-haired Dutch shepherd (FCI) born 2022-09-25

Re: Dawn for the shorthair ones?

Post by Jean512 »

I'm not a groomer but from everything I've read about caring for dog coats, using Dawn regularly would be a bad idea because it strips the natural coat oils and has the wrong pH for their skin. So I'd say normal dog shampoo or something like Mane 'n Tail are better in the long term
--Jean
Joker
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We are city folks turned country homesteaders on an 80ac
plot of land. Currently we raise chickens and pigs with plans to add goats and maybe a cattle one day. I am w/o a dog right now and doing research before getting my next 'hired hand' :)

Re: Dawn for the shorthair ones?

Post by Joker »

And right there is why I was asking. Dawn removes oil which maybe is good for things like oil spills or the occasional super dirty bath and I had the same thought but I am no expert. I never really dive my dogs regular baths but even still I think I'll stick to more traditional shampoo :)
Erick
Mika the Velcro dog at my feet
https://www.youtube.com/@tlchomestead