Diet

Dietary/feeding issues
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Diet

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Last week when I took Thalie to the vet for the question of a UTI, she wanted to take blood just to check her kidneys since the UTI came back negative. The vet said there are some very very minor signs of change that can be helped through diet. SHe knows I feed raw and suggested to lower her protein and raise her carbs. Less meat and more fruits and veggies. I have been keeping her on the Apple Cider V and cranberry juice, vit C, and that has helped with her leaking.

Any other suggestions to make sure she is getting everything she needs with a raw diet? For the newer people, Thalie is 10.

Thanks All.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Diet

Post by Christie M »

I researched the crap out of raw and kidney issues like 8-10 years ago with my old GSD mix, Honey. But I can't remember a single specific.

A few generalizations that I remember, its quality of protein that matters over quantity. And raw fed dogs often have a higher level PCV (Packed cell volume, or red blood cell count) than kibble fed dogs. That can be construed as an issue by an unknowning vet but is just the normal for raw fed dogs.

I would google it :D I know some of the sites can get very technical and specific and would give you a lot of info.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

will do Thanks! The vet said it wasnt anything to be concerned about. My vets are really cool with the raw diet stuff. I dont think they know a lot but are cool with it.

I have been feeding alot of pork, the chicken prices are sky high and I dont have room to get bulk from some of the raw people I know.
ImageImage
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

so glad her kidneys are ok!! :wtg:
Barbara, Odin & Kai
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Look at some of the holistic sites for products that are used in old age, or spay related incontinence. It could be just the normal weakening of the muscles and they need tightening/toning. (Happens to us too in old age---can't say I'm looking forward to that!)
I think the cranberry pills may be better than the juice, which could have added sugars, etc.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Frenchie85
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: French native who moved to United States 20 years ago. I'm very active in K9 search and rescue with my German Shepherd Dog, Bavo. We're certified as a wilderness trailing team by Carda and by Mendocino County Sheriff. We can be deployed anywhere in California or in any other State if needed.
My dog is about to retire and I'm now ready to search for the perfect puppy to continue my hobby and to do some Schutzhund. I'm hoping to get more information on Dutch Shepherd and their ability to work scent.

Post by Frenchie85 »

I'm not an expert when it comes to dog nutrition. However I finally found a good combination that works for my GSD. I give him raw food mixed with dehydrated fruit and vegetables from Honest Kitchen.
Natacha "Frenchie" & Bavo "the GSD"
Certified K9 SAR Trailling
Member of CARDA
Member of Mendocino Sheriff K9 SAR
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.

Post by alspyce »

Frenchie85 wrote:I'm not an expert when it comes to dog nutrition. However I finally found a good combination that works for my GSD. I give him raw food mixed with dehydrated fruit and vegetables from Honest Kitchen.
:wtg:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

ill look into the pills, i wasnt keen on the juice but its a quick start.
ImageImage
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

i second the idea of no juice - the sugar actually is converted to fat in the blood stream. pills offer much more of the ingredients than you could ever achieve with the juice, so juice has more downside than up.

re other suggestions, i recommend 2 tablespoons of Platinum Performance CJ (complete joint) for a broad array of vitamins, trace minerals, amino acids, phytonutrients, and other special ingredients for skin, coat and joints all in a fiber base of ground flax. it's a company that mostly serves olympic athletes and racehorses that i discovered over 10 years ago reading vet school journals that recommended the supplements. if you do it, go for the 3lb size for economy of scale/less shipping. you'll use it fast enough.

finally, this is something you already know, but when i started my dog on Cosequin DS when he was 10yo, in less than 2 weeks the occasional trip or limp that he was developing disappeared, never to appear again. i was so surprised that the action of that 1 pill was so rapid and so obvious. i already had him on other formulations when his stiffness manifested. i guess the cosequin must be very bio-available to dogs because the stated ingredients were no different from what he had been getting, but the change to that brand had a dramatic affect.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
feraloup
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.

Post by feraloup »

I feed a combination of raw/high-quality kibble in my home. (Kibble wayyyyy easier to work with when traveling or staying over somewhere,) and it sounds like you're doing all the right things in researching and tweaking diet and working with your vet.

Just one other thought, if diet alone isn't seeming to help with the leaking issue you mentioned, my old GSD had that (again, vet said pretty common in older spayed females,) and it would mostly happen when she was real relaxed or sleeping. She would then be visibly upset and embarrased by it, (she was very fastidious about her housebreaking and even helped housebreak my other two dogs! It was a "thing" for her!) So I was especially concerned about her emotional health.

My vet put her on a prescription of Sudaphed, of all things, and it worked beautifully. Mind you, this was over ten years ago, (she passed on 5 years ago at 13,) when you could buy Sudaphed over the counter. Then, as it started becoming a controlled substance, my vet wrote us a scrip. for it at our pharmacy. (We could also buy it from the vet directly, but he said it was more affordable for me if I went through a pharmacy and just bought the people version. (Love my vet, most nowadays wouldn't tell you that option!)

If diet alone is solving the issue, then awesome! No need to give meds unnecessarily! But if there's still some leakage issue, you can talk to your vet about potential med. options. I know the sudaphed worked like a charm for Cory and she was a happy girl.
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

johninny wrote: finally, this is something you already know, but when i started my dog on Cosequin DS when he was 10yo, in less than 2 weeks the occasional trip or limp that he was developing disappeared, never to appear again. i was so surprised that the action of that 1 pill was so rapid and so obvious. i already had him on other formulations when his stiffness manifested. i guess the cosequin must be very bio-available to dogs because the stated ingredients were no different from what he had been getting, but the change to that brand had a dramatic affect.

Yes your hunch is correct, my vet talked to me about Consequin DS when we were discussing glucosamine for my Corso's joints as a preventative. He cited a couple studies (for me in one ear out the other if I don't write stuff like that down) that showed that was the only bio available form that the dogs actually gained visible benefit from.

Don't have any specific advice for Thalie's diet but came across this that might be of some help:
http://www.dogaware.com/health/liver.html
Choochi
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Since I posted, I have them on Honest kitchen plus raw. I have Thalie on meds from the vet and the leaking stopped. I had tried all sorts of natural ways to stop it but nothing worked, the vet meds worked in one day. They love the Honest Kitchen ! so do I, its super easy.
ImageImage
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Choochi wrote: Yes your hunch is correct, my vet talked to me about Consequin DS when we were discussing glucosamine for my Corso's joints as a preventative. He cited a couple studies (for me in one ear out the other if I don't write stuff like that down) that showed that was the only bio available form that the dogs actually gained visible benefit from.
I attended the veterinary seminar where Cosequin presented that data to the world. It showed that both their veterinary and human formulas (I don't know if they are available in the US) were equally bio-available for dogs - AND that the human formula was in the top 3 of bio-availability and consistency of product. Included in that top three was Spring Valley distributed by Walmart. So I thought "If dog cosequine equals human cosequine, AND human cosequine equals Spring Valley, wouldn't Dog Cosequine equal Spring Valley?" The rep said "Ummmm, well, yeah." So I switched to SV and it works great with my kids!!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
alspyce
Working Dog

Post by alspyce »

Dutchringgirl wrote:Since I posted, I have them on Honest kitchen plus raw. I have Thalie on meds from the vet and the leaking stopped. I had tried all sorts of natural ways to stop it but nothing worked, the vet meds worked in one day. They love the Honest Kitchen ! so do I, its super easy.
Saves lots of time, and a good product when you add the raw meat. Somehow I thought you were already using it before??
I agree with Christie on the protien. Don't forget to rotate! The fish is the only one I don't use because I give fish as a meat meal, and I use the fish formula of Orijen as training treats---you can buy the sample size bags of that at our feed store.
I use a liquid vitamine suppliment a few times a week, just to feel better about covering all the bases. (K-9 Liquid Health Fidonutrients, or Nutripetrin---depending on who has a better deal when I'm ordering---they are the exact same formula.)
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

The original post was from July, so I have been feeding raw for quite a while now. The HK is a time saver. Ill get the Prefference with no protein and I do rotate the meats. Ill get the Hk with protein for when I dont have any time or I run out of raw meat. I also ad coconut oil to their food,their coats are super soft. Thalie always had a shine but her fur was always a bit coarse, now it is like silk.
ImageImage
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

Christie M wrote:
Choochi wrote: Yes your hunch is correct, my vet talked to me about Consequin DS when we were discussing glucosamine for my Corso's joints as a preventative. He cited a couple studies (for me in one ear out the other if I don't write stuff like that down) that showed that was the only bio available form that the dogs actually gained visible benefit from.
I attended the veterinary seminar where Cosequin presented that data to the world. It showed that both their veterinary and human formulas (I don't know if they are available in the US) were equally bio-available for dogs - AND that the human formula was in the top 3 of bio-availability and consistency of product. Included in that top three was Spring Valley distributed by Walmart. So I thought "If dog cosequine equals human cosequine, AND human cosequine equals Spring Valley, wouldn't Dog Cosequine equal Spring Valley?" The rep said "Ummmm, well, yeah." So I switched to SV and it works great with my kids!!

Ha! Good to know!

I use the HK veggie mix too, it's so easy. I used to feed their full food but it's so damn expensive, I can get raw much cheaper and I do like feeding the raw better then dehydrated plus its way more fun to watch them tear apart a chicken then slop up much :p
Choochi