a little underweight

Dietary/feeding issues
Manstrom
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm a 23 year old military member who just got my first Dutch shepherd. I've grown up my whole life with various breeds and trained Rhodesian ridgebacks for several years prior to joining the service.

a little underweight

Post by Manstrom »

I just got Harvey a couple days ago. He had been abandoned when he was younger and is still a little underweight (his ribs are still visible). I took him in and was given a clean bill of health from the base vet so right now it's just an issue of tweaking his diet a bit. The couple I got him from that nursed him back to health was feeding him Purina puppy food and he seems to love it (no issue with runny stool, but he does gas me out though). His feeding schedule is three meals of a cup each. I've been looking at transitioning him to blue buffalo large breed puppy food after he gets completely settled in to his new home.
I've seen some people here have experience with rescue dogs so I was wanting to know how some of y'all fed your dutchies to put some more meat on their bones. I've researched satin balls and such but I don't think he needs something that extreme.
20121214_192007.jpg
20121214_192007.jpg (173.66 KiB) Viewed 5103 times
Also, one of his ears (same side as his bad eye, hence his nickname of two-face) doesn't seem to stand by itself. Would an improved diet help that or would that be too little too late?
20121215_202731.jpg
20121215_202731.jpg (176.55 KiB) Viewed 5103 times
"A German Shepherd does what you tell it to, a Malinois does it before you tell it, a Dutch Shepherd does it before you think it"
-Harvey, DS puppy
-Paul, gsd/lab/? Mix
-RIP Chance, 12 year old rhodesian ridgeback
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: a little underweight

Post by leih merigian »

I feed raw, so I can't help you with the weight issue, as far as the kibble goes.

His ear still may go up. If I missed a post about him elsewhere, I'm sorry, but I don't know what's up with his eye. Is there any chance that whatever injured his eye has effected some nerves going up to his ear, since the other one stands up so well?

My GSD breeder recommends adding some gelatin to their food if their ears need help. It won't hurt, so it may be worth a try. However, if he has some kind of muscle or nerve damage, it won't make a difference.

Good luck!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

Keep in mind that they are naturally thin dogs.

I stressed over Cino's weight early on and the fact that he isn't food motivated. After being told many many times to quit worrying about it I finally did. Still have people ask me if I feed my dog... The vet is very happy with his weight so...so am I now.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Manstrom
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm a 23 year old military member who just got my first Dutch shepherd. I've grown up my whole life with various breeds and trained Rhodesian ridgebacks for several years prior to joining the service.

Post by Manstrom »

leih merigian wrote:I feed raw, so I can't help you with the weight issue, as far as the kibble goes.

His ear still may go up. If I missed a post about him elsewhere, I'm sorry, but I don't know what's up with his eye. Is there any chance that whatever injured his eye has effected some nerves going up to his ear, since the other one stands up so well?

My GSD breeder recommends adding some gelatin to their food if their ears need help. It won't hurt, so it may be worth a try. However, if he has some kind of muscle or nerve damage, it won't make a difference.

Good luck!
Hmm, I'll have to research the gelatin for the ear. On the rare occasion it acts like it wants to go up.

As for his eye, when he was found he had an infection in his eye that left it cloudy.
"A German Shepherd does what you tell it to, a Malinois does it before you tell it, a Dutch Shepherd does it before you think it"
-Harvey, DS puppy
-Paul, gsd/lab/? Mix
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Maybe the infection affected the nerve? When I got sadie at about 14 weeks she was so bony and lanky, I worried about her weight for a long time, she was so hard to keep weight on. I had my girls on Purina beniful. Sadie was so active she ran any weight right off, she was healthy so I stopped worrying, but it was embarrassing when I brought her out. I switched to raw and that did help fill her out a bit but it wasnt until she was 2 she really started filling out and didnt look like a lanky bony dog any more.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Manstrom
Puppy

Post by Manstrom »

I'm starting to chock it up to my mindset I had with my ridgeback puppies. They're the opposite, usually little porkers then they thin out as they grow. Just weighted him today and he's 29lbs at 8 months.
-Harvey, DS puppy
-Paul, gsd/lab/? Mix
Geremy
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: greets from germany!
my name ist stephanie and we have 2 dutchies.
boyd´s bullriding geremy - he is now 5 years and trained in mondioring, SAR and K9
and there is his halfbrother boyd´s bullriding I.Q. he is trained in KNPV and mondioring.

Post by Geremy »

i had very good experience with curd chees. I.Q. has a very athletic body, but i had to go to one show with him (we need a show result for the "breeding permission") and i feed him 200gr curd chees for round about 3 weeks.
other people had good experience with dark bread...

when he had an infection, you can give him a little bit "propolis". it´s very good for the immunsystem!
alexis
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Live in NYC with Zane

Post by alexis »

We've fed Zane a pretty wide variety of kibbles because he has colitis (and therefore a super-sensitive stomach, so it took forever to find a food that worked for him, and we did a lot of homemade food too). It's ironic that he actually does much better on the cheaper kibbles than on the higher quality, richer kibbles. He lives to eat though, so he'd be a fat guy if we didn't keep a close eye on him.

I'd recommend CA Naturals as an alternative to blue buffalo, it has pretty similar formulas and costs less at most of the pet stores I've been to. I also thought Canidae was a good value for a high-quality kibble. (Can you tell I'm trying to steer you away from blue buffalo? I hate their advertising - it just preys on people's ignorance and fear!)
alexis & zane in NYC
LexMark
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We are a couple in the UK with a gingerish lab x thing lol and we have just adopted a brindle looking shepherd just nosing for some info really :)

Post by LexMark »

Hi there,

don't know how you've got on with little man now, we have a rescue ds and he's very underweight. If he has a big enough bite already you can try a transitional to something like Arden Grange Large Breed Chicken and rice (this is a very good food for their coat and nutritional values.)

We had our boy on 4 meals a day at set times so he had 3/4 of a cup of food 4 times a day and plenty of treats. If you feel this is not enough for him perhaps try bulking it out with a bit of puppy food as they contain more fat for building young dogs up.

Don't try to bulk him up too quickly this should be done controlled and over a period of time. Little and often is the key with weight gain for both our dogs and as they build you can reduce to 3 meals a day and so on amounts can depend on amount of exercise etc.

A kong with a teaspoon of peanut butter with no added salt or anything else will keep our ds amused for hours!

I wish you all the best and if you want any of our knowledge which we've learnt along the way with our dogs drop us a message!!! :) :DScool:
Lexi & Mark
East Midlands
UK :)
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Post by Lauren »

Geremy wrote: when he had an infection, you can give him a little bit "propolis". it´s very good for the immunsystem!
Geremy, I am curious, how much propolis do you give? I have a bunch and have wondered about taking it myself during illness, but didn't know how and didn't know it worked on dogs too!

Do you just feed it in their food?

Thanks!
Lauren from Western NC
Boogies
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Greetings from Wisconsin. I live on a small goat farm with a crazy Malinois, named Rocket, that I adopted 5 years ago. I rent the goats out for weed and brush control and Rocket saves me hours a day, herding goats into barns and trailers and watching the gates as I move between pens. He also pulls a little red sled with whatever I need hauled. Rocket's the 14th dog I've adopted since I used to prowl the shelters for fast dogs for my sled team. One of my sled dogs may have been a DS mix. She had the look and energy but was a solid black with white toes. Rocket is currently an only dog so we go skijoring instead of sledding.

Post by Boogies »

Hi Manstrom,

I used to run sled dogs. They require a high fat, high protein food. I used a brand called National. Many long distance, professional mushers use it along with cooked meat. I had a 4-dog sprint team and only raced in amature classes so i was able to get by without much extra meat.

My dogs were all adopted. One was likely a Kelpie and another looked very much like a solid black DS. Both of them ran at around 40 pounds and I fed one to one and a half cups of National 2x daily . If I was running them very hard, I might double that. But they would put weight on really fast if I wasn't running them a lot. National's the kind of food you have to adjust by exercise level or your dog will get fat.

Your pup is very thin and might not reach his genetic potential without a change in diet (from what he got before you adopted him). As Lexmark said, you don't want to bulk him up too fast. You can get bone disorders from sudden growth spurts or over feeding. You probably won't but it is worth watching.

Most dogs are too fat. You should be able to feel their ribs. It's okay for you to feel and even see their hip bones but you don't want these bones to be too sharp. Even through their fur, a fit sled dog shows about three ribs. That is you can actually see the last three ribs through the fur. This is on a well muscled, very fit dog, not a dog who has been starved. All fit dogs have a tucked up abdomen...with the possible exception of breeding bitches.

There are other brands of high fat, high protein foods. Google sled dogs and research what they eat. Since they have the highest calorie needs of any working dogs, there's been a lot of research on their dietary needs. I think if you get a sled dog food, like National, you'll get your pup caught up nutritionally. Give him plenty of exercise to balance the better diet and I think you'll do fine.

Boofies