Separation anxiety

HeatherH
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Separation anxiety

Post by HeatherH »

Dutch normally does not have a problem when we leave him at home. We had a huge problem when we left hi at the kennel. My husband won't allow it anymore.

The problem is when we go for a walk and one of us walks away usually me. We're going camping in a monthy. Any ideas on how to handle the anxiety if we leave him? My solution is bring big bones for a distraction.

H
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Separation anxiety

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Your going to not take him camping?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
HeatherH
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Post by HeatherH »

Oh No, we're taking him camping. I always love a dogs first camping trip when they wonder what we did to get kicked out of the house to end up in the middle of nowhere. lol.

It's just what to do when one of us leaves the campsite to go get cleaned up etc. Like I said I think I'll try to distract him with a large bone. Just wondering what other people do with this type of anxiety when the other person walks away for a moment.

H
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Bring goodies for him to play with while the other is doing their thing.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

I have always concentrated on talking to my dogs - telling them what is going on constantly. they learn language, then you can communicate to soothe their anxieties. ''it's ok. he'll be right back.'' it is not always totally satisfying - depending on the dog's range of perceived risks [ ''the woods are dangerous - a bear might get him and he won't come back like intended! you should be worried, too!!'' ] but it helps and if separation is the only issue on the dog's mind, it can work 100% once the dog trusts that you tell the truth.

in the meantime, a big bone sounds like a good idea [ as you tell him ''he'll be right back. just wait a minute. here, take your bone'' ]

sorry, I know a lot of people probably find my approach to these things ridiculous, but with the right [ capable ] dog, it works like a charm on so many fronts in the long run.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

I just want to say that John's advice to talk to the dog actually works, as ridiculous as it sounds. I was having the hardest time trying to get Sugar to not react to seeing a dog on TV. Whenever a dog would appear on the TV screen, she would go ballistic. I was making some progress with this, but the turnaround moment was when I sat there beside her, looked at her in the eyes, and had a conversation with her about how these are "TV dogs" and she doesn't have to worry about them, etc etc. Ever since then, if I see her about to react to seeing a dog on TV, I look at her and remind her its a TV dog, and damn if she doesn't settle right down!
Sue (and Sugar)

HeatherH
Green Dog

Post by HeatherH »

Thanks for the response

My neighbours must think I'm nuts because I'm constantly yaking with my dog, So I do know that it helps. As for the TV, my husband roles his eyes cause it looks like he's engrossed in whatever I'm watching.

I will bring a few bones with me and treats to distract him.

Heather
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Peanut butter in a kong is my dogs best distraction...
Sue (and Sugar)

HeatherH
Green Dog

Post by HeatherH »

Ok just a sidebar update.

We took him to beach conservation for the day. I brought a few toys and a large bone (after thought I thought that would cause possession problems). Nope, we had 1 problem when Greg took a dip without him. He's such a good boy. He was actually the best dog on the beach. We even had a little girl walk over while gnawing on his bone. Nothing, absently nothing. He looked up at us as if to say "you’re taking care of this right?" He swam between the 2 of us and never took off till we caught up to him to put the leash back on him. He completely ignored the other dogs even when they went off their stick.
Such a good boy.

H
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

NICE !!! sounds like a wonderful time. congratulations on a fine pup!
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka