FCI vs KNPV

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
NickHutch90
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hello,

A big fan of the Dutch Shepherd. My family owned a Dutch growing up and I am patiently waiting to add a Dutch to my life when the situation permits me to do so.

FCI vs KNPV

Post by NickHutch90 »

A few questions on the difference between the two.

Are FCI dogs harder to find because their bloodlines are more pure or because of their inabiility to work?

Is there much of a difference in looks or only temperament?

If KNPV lines produce a fawn pup, is this a legitimate Dutch Shepherd? is this considered a Mal? Are the breeders mistaken of their lines?

Does anyone here own an FCI DS? could you describe some your dogs traits and qualitites?

Thanks for any responses!

-Nick
My Dutch is coming this Winter!!!
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: FCI vs KNPV

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Weeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllll...... There's been a lot of discussion about this all over, and what I'm about to say, keep in mind this is my personal opinion.

Here in the US there's not a whole lot of demand for FCI stock (read, conformation stock) so we tend to favor more KNPV dogs. There are some breeders who have UKC stock which has some FCI in the lines as well as KNPV.

Overall there's an... idea or prejudice that FCI is the "lesser" side due to choosing to breed over looks rather than working ability and nerve, but as in everything it's in the eye of the beholder. Are there certain FCI dogs that have shit nerves but are beautiful and win in the conformation ring? Yes. Are there FCI dogs that kick butt and take names in sport? Yes. I would say it all depends on the lines and the dogs being bred. There are whispers of KNPV dogs being faked into FCI and used to bolster the working ability of some FCI dogs, but as for the truth of this.... who knows? Just because it's a whisper doesn't make it true and there are plenty of FCI breeders who I respect who would never stoop to such a level.

So as for the question about availability, here in the US there are a few FCI lines. There are more overseas and those who are here it seems about half are imported. I think it's just a supply and demand situation. Most people here want KNPV for sport/working ability. As far as the working ability, I think it's best to judge that on the dog you're looking at rather than make a blanket statement.

As far as looks/temperament, there will be a certain distinction, but it will be slight. FCI is basically breed standard whereas KNPV is working ability, so you can see hints of ancestors throughout different lines. In KNPV the lines really makes a difference in how big the dog will get, bone structure, and other physical traits/genetics. Again, speaking on temperament, there's a difference across KNPV lines, so I would say overall that you'll probably get a wider variety of temperaments in KNPV and FCI will most likely be closer to breed standard.

For the fawn pup, in KNPV it's considered a Mal - or more specifically a Malx, I believe.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
NickHutch90
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hello,

A big fan of the Dutch Shepherd. My family owned a Dutch growing up and I am patiently waiting to add a Dutch to my life when the situation permits me to do so.

Post by NickHutch90 »

Thank you for the response!

This seems to be the answer i get from most sources. I am lucky enough to be getting a CherCar pup in the near future, but a friend of mine was looking into getting a pup as well. He and his wife don't want to do as much of the sporting event side as i would like to, but his wife has experience in the show ring. They wanted to go the route of FCI instead of KNPV. Do you know any FCI breeders in the states that are reputable and have produced respected results? I would love for them to be able to get a Dutch so that my little guy has a play friend.

Thanks again
My Dutch is coming this Winter!!!
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Multipurpose trainer

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

If it's not KNPV it's just not a Dutch Shepherd. They are working dogs and nothing else. They have been bred that way for over a century. If you don't want a Loud, Dark, Violent and sometimes out of control dog stick with an FCI.
Roger
Consistency + Repetition = Predictability
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

KNPV for working dogs. FCI for show dogs.