Training Photo

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Training Photo

Post by ladyjubilee »

Ok, I thought I'd share the events of the training photo, which is actually from a video. When it happened I whipped out my camera and texted the video to everyone I know.

It's the most meaningful training photo (clip from a video) I have, even though it's a terrible picture

We were working on the first step of "take." She is supposed to touch to get a reward. At the same time, we were working on my son and Bramble's relationship and getting him to feed her sometimes. We'd been experiencing a behavioral bump that impacted their relationship.

So anyway, prior to Covid, he went with me to every training. Having seen me do touch training, he suddenly decided he would train her on touch. My non verbal kiddo just took the food and the marker...and she did it. He even got that he was supposed to give her food when she touched. The thing is, my son's teachers didn't think he would be able to hold a leash, let alone train a behavior. So, that's why that ugly picture means a lot to me. (And it cuts off enough of his face I think it's safe for it to be online.)
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs