Hello from Colorado

For our new members to introduce themselves
artistcoley
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm an enthusiast of working dogs, and have had several herding breeds over the years. I am here to learn more about the Dutch shepherd breed.

Hello from Colorado

Post by artistcoley »

Hello everyone,

Happy to have found this group and a great resource to learn more about these beautiful dogs. I have had herding breeds in the past, and loved the drive, intelligence and work ethic. Currently between career and family I just don't have the time to devote to these type of dogs, so we have a shihtzu mix. A big change from a working dog, but still a pretty cool, and fairly intelligent guy nonetheless. He thinks kids are WAY cooler than adults which is quite different from the border collies I am used to - who preferred work and playing fetch over EVERYTHING else in the world. 😜

When my kids are a little older and a little more independent, I would like to get back into the working breeds and specifically, find a DS with some drive to do some fun things like tracking, obedience and maybe some herding again...but hopefully not quite the crazy police dog, climb a 50 ft brick wall and run 100 miles per day wearing a 50 lbs backback personality I see in some dogs of this type.

So, I am here to learn, as it seems the DS can provide a good balance between drive, mental and emotional stability, and life in the house with kids and other types of pets. I have already found some great information on this site. Thank you! I look forward to learning more form everyone!
artistcoley

@artistcoley
www.artistcoley.com
fb.com/artistcoley
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Hello from Colorado

Post by Dutchringgirl »

welcome !!! Its great that you realize that now is not a good time for them. They are crazy. My saide is a crack head dog. hahahaha My Thalie is more calm but she is also 15 now and sleeps all day. She was a spitfire in her younger years.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

ditto Lisa. Very nice to hear a rational head! Best of luck to you! There's more info and anecdotal education archived here than anywhere else I've found.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

Welcome Artistcoley, I have a DS, an elderly Dachshund (that doesn't know he's old) with IVDD, and a cat. We got Kapena as a calculated decision, and he is perfect. Smart, athletic, sweet, derpy. We got him very very young so that might be why he is fine with our pets. He's only 5 mos now, but we've noticed that it has sacrificed a bit of his drive. We are attempting to correct it now.

Not for lack of trying, with flirt pole, and bite work exposure. But when they leash the pups and the rest are straining their leashes to get at that prized bitesuit material, so far, my boy is eating pecan nuts from the trees and playing with flowers. 🤣

It's alright with us, we will still be club members and train while we discover his talents. It's nice to meet you. Some times you can't make the dog, the dog makes you.
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Post by Tennessee3 »

Hello!

Sounds like we have pretty similar thoughts on things and what kind of dog we want, which can make it a real pain to find a good breeder with similar values. There are plenty of great breeders out there who I have no doubt could select a puppy for me that would be a good fit, but I prefer to stack the deck in my favor as much as possible for a big decision like this.

If you check out my Intro thread here, you'll see a couple options of breeders that should fit the bill for what you're looking for. Check them out and see what you think, I'm going with Vrijheid hopefully next year when my current pup is more mature and after busy season is over (public accountant).

One thing I can say for sure is that this place is a small community but it's full of good people, who do their best to help out others and share their knowledge. Since you mentioned sport dog training Dutchringgirl & Steve Gossmeyer in particular are very active posters and knowledgeable about the subject. I'm sure there are plenty of others too
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

I'm the one who has my DS more of pet. She has great drive and in two weeks we are signed up for obedience class. We will train her also in something fun like search but with my crazy schedule we can only do so much at a time. I love this site and greatful to all the people who make this place great.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

....and Hello
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG