HELP WITH SWEET RESCUE IN THE ATLANTA AREA!

For our new members to introduce themselves
susanhastydarby
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I live in Atlanta, GA (did not understand the time zone selections) and am adopting a 5 yoa female dutch shepherd today. Bella has been moved across the country and was abandoned at a rural animal shelter in VA. We went to TN to visit her and were approved for her sdoption after that.

She has issues with resource guarding, walking on a leash, abandonment, toy hording, and may be aggressive toward other dogs (not sure yet).

I am committed to providing her a safe, secure, loving home but will need a lot of support and advise. Would love to make contact with anyone in the Atlanta area who is willing and able.

Thanks so much!

HELP WITH SWEET RESCUE IN THE ATLANTA AREA!

Post by susanhastydarby »

Hi,

My name is Susan and today we are adopting Bella, a 5yoa who has been mistreated and abandoned, moved across the country and now from VA, to TN, to here (GA). Looking for advise in training and socialization, other local owners willing to be a resource, and hopefully the occasional play date.

Thanks so much,
Susan :DSlove:
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: HELP WITH SWEET RESCUE IN THE ATLANTA AREA!

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome to the forum. We'd love to see some pics.

Please start looking for a trainer in your area who is knowledgeable with protection breeds.

You'll also want to start seeing what types of activities Bella may be interested in, such as agility or tracking. Exercise is a must, but so is some type of mental stimulation.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: HELP WITH SWEET RESCUE IN THE ATLANTA AREA!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

welcome and thank you for rescuing. You will need a trainer ASAP that knows this breed. If she has resource guard issues, you will need to be very careful. are there any other animals in the house? what is the living situation? Do you have a fenced yard? can you provide tons of physical and metal stimulation? at this time, socialization of other animals should be put on the back burner. You are only looking to get her used to the world in general, not other animals or people until you and your trainer have her in a good mental place

this is a protection breed. Look up some Michael Ellis videos too
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage