For our new members to introduce themselves
Blackhawks
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Just rescued a possible DS and wanted to join to know the breed more. Also have a husky mix.

Post by Blackhawks »

Hello everyone I just rescued possible dutch shepherd mix a couple weeks ago and stumbled across here. I have never seen a dutch shepherd before seeing her at the shelter. She was surrendered to a kill shelter by her original owners and my local shelter picked her up. According to them she is 6 months old. I did research the breed before so I know what I could be getting myself into but so far she is basically a perfect dog haha nothing like some of the horror stories I have read. I just sent out the wisdom DNA test so waiting on the results. The other thing I want sure about with her is her weight she weighed 36lbs when we got her but seemed skinnier than a whippet. I have been feeding her some canned food to up her weight. She weighs 40lbs now. DS seem to me to be slightly thicker from pictures or videos. Looking forward to learning alot from everyone!ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Re: New member

Post by borellar15 »

Definitely looks like it could be a KNPV line dutchie. Good lookin dog! Welcome to the forum!
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Blackhawks
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Just rescued a possible DS and wanted to join to know the breed more. Also have a husky mix.

Post by Blackhawks »

Thank you! Just curious what makes you think she is from knpv lines?
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Well there’s probably more to it than this as you can find on here or doing some research I’m no expert but the KNPV are dutch shepherd x Malinois mixes. She looks like she’s got a lot of Malinois in her to me as does mine.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Blackhawks
Just Whelped

Post by Blackhawks »

Yeah I have done a little reading on it and saw that but I just couldn't tell with her. I am bad at guessing what dogs are haha Thanks for your input! I'm excited for the DNA test to see what she is.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

The basic statistic on visual identification is that professionals (people who handle dogs on a regular basis) are only 20-25% accurate in correctly identifying a breed.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers