Hello from Southern Illinois

For our new members to introduce themselves
Timt5352
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We are a family of 5 in Southern Illinois who adopted what appears to be a Dutch Shepherd that had been abandoned. She isn't chipped but she's a sweetheart.

Hello from Southern Illinois

Post by Timt5352 »

Hello everyone! I'm actually not 100% sure I'm in the right place, but this is definitely the best place to ask. Earlier this week my family adopted a dog which had been abandoned at a very nice ladies home at the lake we live on. She is active with a local pet rescue service and thought she may have been "targeted".....but she spent two weeks attempting to find the original owners before looking to rehome Ellie. A vet visit showed that she was not chipped and the vet estimates her at about 9 months. She was under the impression that the dog was probably some combination of a German Shepherd mix but it was mentioned on her Facebook post by someone else that she looked a lot like a Dutch Shepherd. I had never heard of the breed before so started doing some online research. She definitely seems to match.....even though she looks solid black in pics you can see a brindle pattern in good light and she has the apparently common white patch on the chest and tips of paws. What do you guys think?

If she is a mix, I don't think she's very diluted and regardless of what she "is", she's a big sweetheart who has a new forever home!Image
Timt5352
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We are a family of 5 in Southern Illinois who adopted what appears to be a Dutch Shepherd that had been abandoned. She isn't chipped but she's a sweetheart.

Re: Hello from Southern Illinois

Post by Timt5352 »

And how's this for a "comfortable sleeping position" on her new bed? LoLImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Ha! Love the bed. En will sometimes sleep with just her haunches up on the bed.
It's not very likely that she's DS. They aren't a common breed, and even less common to be abandoned or found in a shelter. However, it is possible. The brindle coloring is a dominant gene, and could come from any breed that carries it. She's most likely a Shepherd mix of some kind. If she's a live wire and you're looking for good stories and insight, you're in the right place.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Awwww she is beautiful!!!!!! If she is a Dutch, you are in for lots of excitement.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG