Hello

For our new members to introduce themselves
Wiz407
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My name is Jay I work in construction love the outdoors and animals

Hello

Post by Wiz407 »

Hello I recently got a dutch shepherd was told she was 5 months old from the breeder she is now 6 months old when I got her around her eyes have missing hair I took her to the vet but the closest vet to me is not the best and is like pulling teeth to get a answer I'm planning on making a trip to see a better vet but would like to know if this a normal thing I live way out in the country and will be making a 2 hour drive both ways she is on Victor ultra pro dog food and is treated for flea and tick my last female dutch shepherd at 6 months was big my new girl was flown to me from Texas I asked the breeder he said it may be stress from the flight but her hair around her eyes has not grown in yet
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Re: Hello

Post by borellar15 »

Do you have any pictures? Where in Texas and what breeder if you don’t mind me asking.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Wiz407
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My name is Jay I work in construction love the outdoors and animals

Post by Wiz407 »

Gonna take pics when I get home from work he is a breeder my brother knows in Houston his name is Casey don't think he has a kennel name
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

That sounds like mange or a parasite! Stress doesnt create that!
Wiz407
Just Whelped

Post by Wiz407 »

The pic is about a week old
Attachments
IMG_20190408_144122067.jpg
IMG_20190408_144122067.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 5725 times
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Is there any autoimmune issues that might lead to that?
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Wiz407
Just Whelped

Post by Wiz407 »

Also her ears and eyes turn red when she plays if it might be mange or a parasite I'll be making that trip Wednesday
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

There's also a possibility of allergies.

The test is a little pricey, but worth it in the long run if they find something and it can be eliminated from diet or environmental exposure.

Do you have a contract with the breeder?
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Wiz407
Just Whelped

Post by Wiz407 »

No contract I got her for a bit less then he was asking because brother knew him I was looking for another one after my last girl died of cancer she's really smart learning commands within a day or two
Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Post by Laplaiefier »

She doesn't by chance get into the garbage because I had a thought of dried food, jelly etc. is one way dogs get hair pulled out. They don't notice it until later when it starts to dry and pull. Would also explain the small apparent scar over one eye. Like a tin can with sharp edges maybe? They tend to push upward as they get that tongue going in that jelly jar.
Just a guess.
Wiz407
Just Whelped

Post by Wiz407 »

She doesn't really get into trash the scar is from playing with my lab they usually play on gravel I took her to a better vet after hearing it could be a parasite just waiting on the results
Wiz407
Just Whelped

Post by Wiz407 »

She had tape worms vet said that could have stunted her growth and cause the hair lost will she be this tiny forever? she is going to be 7 months in May but she is not large and has a small head
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Gonna be a small dog
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

How’s her teeth look
Tim
Wiz407
Just Whelped

Post by Wiz407 »

Her teeth are white kinda look like adult teeth she's 33 pounds 19 inche's at the withers and 21 inche's from base of neck to base of tail I did some reading and couple of sites said dutch shepherds don't stop growing until 2 years old vet said she might be kinda short and wide
Attachments
IMG_20190418_073329837.jpg
IMG_20190418_073329837.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 5560 times
Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Post by Laplaiefier »

Mine is 5 months right at 40lbs. At 2 months he was 5 lbs with giardia. Once his system recovered he started gaining a pound a day. He's down to a pound every 2-3 days now and bouncing off the walls literally. I'm thinking once that infection is completely gone she's going to catch up on that weight.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Hoping pup does well.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
dwalker19
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Newbie to the Dutch Shepherd finally after contemplating between a Mal or DS. I purchased my first pup in April he was the runt with spunk. I'm currently participating and studying the sport IGP.

Post by dwalker19 »

Curious any changes with the pup.
WalkerTX19
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

dwalker19 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:07 pm Curious any changes with the pup.
Yes. I hope you are still around to answer.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Wiz407
Just Whelped

Post by Wiz407 »

Took her to the vet she said she has a problem consuming calcium and her skin problem vet is still unsure what it was but told me to put her on cbd for dogs that seems to be working her hair is growing back and looking normal still has not grown too much hoping she starts to fill out more now that she is eating raw with higher calcium
Attachments
IMG_20190724_165027410_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20190724_165027410_HDR~2.jpg (759.55 KiB) Viewed 4796 times