New guy

For our new members to introduce themselves
Akym293
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Been interested in working dogs for as long as I can remember. But have never had the ability to provide everything needed. I have moved around a bunch.

New guy

Post by Akym293 »

Hey all. I'm just here to lurk about and maybe learn a few things. I've always wanted to get into dog sports but have moved around too much to responsibly own a dog.

I have been doing some research on ring sport, schutzhund, and various other theories and methods. Training a high drive, high prey drive dog has been a dream of mine for quite some time.

Thanks in advance
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: New guy

Post by TimL_168 »

Lots of good info and good people here. Enjoy!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Welcome to the forum! Dog sports are a lot of fun and easy to get consumed by. Which sport is for you depends on what you really want out of your dog. I assume you have a dutch Shepherd if you’re here or are looking to get one. Have you owned dogs like these before and again what do you want out of the dog?
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Akym293
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Been interested in working dogs for as long as I can remember. But have never had the ability to provide everything needed. I have moved around a bunch.

Post by Akym293 »

borellar15 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:08 pm Welcome to the forum! Dog sports are a lot of fun and easy to get consumed by. Which sport is for you depends on what you really want out of your dog. I assume you have a dutch Shepherd if you’re here or are looking to get one. Have you owned dogs like these before and again what do you want out of the dog?
Hey I have not owned a dog like this before currently do not own any dogs. I have had dogs before but nothing of this caliber. I would like a hearty dog with intellegence and a strong drive.
As for which dog sport I will persue, it depends on what kind of trainers I can work with.

I read a lot on the subject but I know it is no substitute for experience. I live in alaska so it will be a lot of solo work. I would prefer to get a read on the dog as it grows and develops to see the best fit for it individually but would prefer something with bite work.

I know it's a lot to jump into but it's something I've always wanted to do and am not getting any younger.
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Well Steve can correct me if I’m wrong but I would say it would be best to have the sport you want to do picked out already and begin molding your dogs behaviors for that sport from the get go. For certain sports there’s going to be certain ways you’re going to want to recall your dog, certain areas of the body you’re going to target for bite work for example in ring you’re going to want your dog targeting the legs, where as in PSA you’re going to be looking at mostly bicep or tricep bites. I would also suggest doing some tracking and stuff especially up there in Alaska! I think that would be really cool and a good way to mentally stimulate your dog.

I’m not sure what your living situation is in Alaska (it sounds awesome) but just know that these dogs do have high drive and lots of energy and they don’t turn it off. So if you’re inside a lot in a cabin or something in the winter they’re probably gonna drive you nuts with wanting to play tug or what not and if you can’t keep up with them they will find their own ways to use that energy which usually means chewing and destroying things. Just some things to think about.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Akym293
Just Whelped

Post by Akym293 »

I'm working on the living arrangements. I'm getting married in may and will be changing it up for a place that allows dogs and has more property. At some point I'll be moving to the Seattle area and I may wait until then to get a dog so I can find a good mentor and club to associate with.
Thanks for the advice about picking a sport early. That makes total sense.
As bad as I want a dog I dont want to rush into it. talking through some things with yall is helping me to formulate a plan. My fiance is on-board for me becoming a dog trainer I just have to make sure she knows what all that entails.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding.
I can say from experience that this breed is a life changer. I don’t take vacations unless I can take my dog. If I were to leave her she would need to be with someone who could handle her and is very responsible. I would need to put her in a board and care. Just something to think about.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Brindle Lake Dog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: This is my first Dutchie. I’ve trained field trial labs and a Malinois in IPO. Lost my Mal to cancer at age 11 and wasn’t really looking for a pup yet.
I got a call from my old training director letting me know he had just the pup for me: A Dutchie...
It just sort of happened and now I have a brindle Fur Missile living with me. His name is Jaguar; Jag for short.

Post by Brindle Lake Dog »

Akym293 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:31 pm At some point I'll be moving to the Seattle area and I may wait until then to get a dog so I can find a good mentor and club to associate with.
If you’re going to be moving to the Seattle area there aren’t any Ring clubs to speak of. May have changed in the last two years, not sure.
The are a few Schutzhund clubs and I’ll let you see how they are but I will say that Cascade Schutzhund club was the one I chose to drive to even though it was a 1.5 hour trip one way.
Food for thought from a guy that lived there.