For our new members to introduce themselves
MomtherOfDragons
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Child of God, wife, mom to 3 children and OMG amount of farm animals.

Post by MomtherOfDragons »

Hello! We are new to the dutch shepherd breed! We have had several german shepherds and came across a german/dutch mix that is an absolutely cutie, so now we are kind of obsessing over the breed (and i cant believe we never looked into dutch before!). We joined to learn more, but also wanted to get the opinion of others on whether or not these are dutch german mix pups or if they are something else being adopted out as a more desired breed mix.

Can anyone advise?

Also, I’ve read a lot about how good of a family dog dutch shepherds make, do they have a high prey drive? We have chickens and goats that we would properly socialize them with, but we do have a dog that loves to eat field mice and I’m curious if a dutch or dutch mix would have the same gross drive ;)

Thanks!
Attachments
DF8350B5-07FF-495E-91CF-AC4F9680C8B4.jpeg
DF8350B5-07FF-495E-91CF-AC4F9680C8B4.jpeg (23.45 KiB) Viewed 2803 times
3DFE9502-0333-435A-B222-D067E15A7BBE.jpeg
3DFE9502-0333-435A-B222-D067E15A7BBE.jpeg (23.31 KiB) Viewed 2803 times
8D995E92-8BC5-40E5-AD94-01E9B4C3D11D.jpeg
8D995E92-8BC5-40E5-AD94-01E9B4C3D11D.jpeg (47.67 KiB) Viewed 2803 times
CBDDD2CE-CDEC-4F7C-88FA-7A19B60CEA4E.jpeg
CBDDD2CE-CDEC-4F7C-88FA-7A19B60CEA4E.jpeg (22.71 KiB) Viewed 2803 times
BE6BAA6B-7219-4B4C-AA33-1444EFFC0279.jpeg
BE6BAA6B-7219-4B4C-AA33-1444EFFC0279.jpeg (22.71 KiB) Viewed 2803 times
MomtherOfDragons
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Child of God, wife, mom to 3 children and OMG amount of farm animals.

Re: Newbie

Whoopsies didnt mean to put that last one twice.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome to the forum.
MomtherOfDragons wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:20 pm Also, I’ve read a lot about how good of a family dog dutch shepherds make
You will find that many if not all experienced owners of the breed believe this to be entirely false. They do indeed have an extremely high prey drive, and also a super low tolerance for unacceptable correction or treatment. This can make for a dangerous situation in houses with small children or other small pets.

Dog "breeds" are not naturally occurring, and in fact are a result of genetic engineering to produce an animal with specific traits. The Dutch Shepherd was specifically bred to be a protection animal, which requires a level of violence that is unsuitable for every day families.

Are there Dutch Shepherds that make for good family dogs, I would say yes, but it would be a rarity.

The breed has a tendency to bond very strongly with only a single person and just tolerate other family members.
MomtherOfDragons wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:20 pm also wanted to get the opinion of others on whether or not these are dutch german mix pups or if they are something else being adopted out as a more desired breed mix.
In all the pictures there is really no evidence of any of them having a DS mix, but the last couple look very much like Belgian Malinois puppies - a breed very similar to the Dutch Shepherd.

The Dutch Shepherd arrived to the US as imports for Police and Military applications. Most are mixed with German Shepherds and Belgian Malinois (aka KNPV), and very few are FCI pure-breeds.
MomtherOfDragons wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:20 pm We are new to the dutch shepherd breed! We have had several german shepherds and came across a german/dutch mix that is an absolutely cutie, so now we are kind of obsessing over the breed (and i cant believe we never looked into dutch before!).
Don't let the cuteness (Or, what I like to call sinful charm) fool you. Behind every "what a gorgeous dog you have" comment from others, I have a bruise, and in a few cases a bite to show you.

Having GSDs is a good start if you're serious about the Dutch Shepherd, but you may be in for a surprise around the chickens and goats. They need a job, and if you train to herd instead of attack the farm animals you might have something special.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
MomtherOfDragons
Just Whelped

Very informative, thank you!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I do not see DS in any of these pups. The first one looks to be a Rottweiler. I had a rot/pitt mix and she was the best, but at that time I did not have a family, I had my horse farm where she thrived, she was not super friendly though at first meeting, but if you let her make the first moves ( as you should with any dog) then she would be your friend for life.

Unless you are doing a specific training, Ring sport, Schutzhund, or something and not just wanting a dog, then this breed is not for you. I have had two, and as much as I love them, i did many many years of protection sport training. With out that training, no way would I get these dogs.

Yes, they look cool and are loving to their human, but to anyone else, they can be difficult.

These are protection dogs and they will protect. You can, with very good training from a trainer, have them work with and protect your livestock. For that is what the breed is meant to do, as any shepherd is meant to do. they will eat gross things but they will mostly keep them away or send them to your dog who will eat them. My Sadie will catch stuff then play with it. EWWWWWW
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

My DS has a 2 chicken kill count now and a nip to a horses nose. She has prey drive especially if it’s in our yard.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG