New Member - Kent UK

For our new members to introduce themselves
UKK9
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a retired UK police dog handler / instructor. I have owned and worked many German Shepherds, Malinois however in 2016 I imported the first Ruwhaar or Rough Coat Dutch Herder into the UK. In 2018 I imported a male to compliment my female and on the 14th of May 2019 the first ever litter of Ruwhaar Dutch Herders were born in the UK.

New Member - Kent UK

Post by UKK9 »

Thank you for allowing me to join the forum.

My name is Steve Dean, I am a retired police dog handler and former instructor and breeding manager at the Metropolitan Police Dog Training School, Keston. I have owned and bred a number of GSD's and Malinois over the years but in 2016 I was lucky enough to be allowed to purchase a female Ruwhaar or Rough Coat Dutch Shepherd puppy from the V.D Bothof Kennels in the Netherlands. Puck as I called her was as far as the Ruwhaar breed club was concerned the first Rough Coat ever imported into the UK.

In 2018 I imported an adult male, Conrad vom Roneberg and on May the 14th of this year, Puck gave birth to 10 pups, again believed to be the first rough coat litter born in the UK

I have travelled the world extensively in regards to working dog matters and have always been impressed with the breed which I first encountered in 2001 in Texas whilst training with a police dog unit there.

The Rough Coat attracted me because it is so very different from any dog I have previously owned. I love the temperament, the look (the werewolf appearance) and the general character. I am very much a novice in terms of this particular breed and interested to learn as much as I can from my membership of the forum.

Regards Steve
Breeding to a Standard - Not a Fashion
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: New Member - Kent UK

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome to the forum.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
UKK9
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a retired UK police dog handler / instructor. I have owned and worked many German Shepherds, Malinois however in 2016 I imported the first Ruwhaar or Rough Coat Dutch Herder into the UK. In 2018 I imported a male to compliment my female and on the 14th of May 2019 the first ever litter of Ruwhaar Dutch Herders were born in the UK.

Post by UKK9 »

Thank you very much
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

How is the temperament of the Ruwhaar Shepherd ?
Tim
Jay knowles
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Post by Jay knowles »

Hi, we live in Keston and walk our dog at the Warren very often. Don’t know much about your breed but if it’s anything like mine it will be hard work. Happy to meet up at the Warren one day if you fancy it. Jay
Brindle Lake Dog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: This is my first Dutchie. I’ve trained field trial labs and a Malinois in IPO. Lost my Mal to cancer at age 11 and wasn’t really looking for a pup yet.
I got a call from my old training director letting me know he had just the pup for me: A Dutchie...
It just sort of happened and now I have a brindle Fur Missile living with me. His name is Jaguar; Jag for short.

Post by Brindle Lake Dog »

Welcome to the forum. Pics! We need pics :whistle:

Edited to add: I see that you posted pics in the photo section :wtg:
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Welcome!! we had, a while back, another rough coat member. Ill have to remember her name but they are so adorable. I love how their ears pop out of the curls.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:37 am we had, a while back, another rough coat member.
That was JAN (from the Netherlands). Unfortunately, the last access to the site was in 2017.

It's cool to have another Rough Coat on board. We get asked about their availability in the U.S. from time-to-time. As far as I know, there is no one breeding or importing them here.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
UKK9
Just Whelped

Post by UKK9 »

Tim91118 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:13 pm How is the temperament of the Ruwhaar Shepherd ?
Hi there

The temperament is extremely sound. They are very social and playful. They are not as drivey as the short coat but still retain sufficient to want to and be capable of working.

The one bad habit that both of mine have (and one was bred in The Netherlands the other in Germany) is that they like to mouth your hands. There is no aggression in it but nevertheless sometimes they can put just a bit too much pressure for a lot of peoples liking. From conversations I've had it is very common, I'm not sure if this extends to the other coat types never having owned one.
UKK9
Just Whelped

Post by UKK9 »

Jay knowles wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:50 pm Hi, we live in Keston and walk our dog at the Warren very often. Don’t know much about your breed but if it’s anything like mine it will be hard work. Happy to meet up at the Warren one day if you fancy it. Jay
Hi Jay

My female I purchased as a pup from The Netherlands. I have found her to be a joy to own, no issues at all. Very willing to work and play and she has an excellent nose.

My male I got when he was 3 years old. He had been a family pet. He has a superb temperament towards humans however some of his behaviours could easily be misinterpreted. He grumbles a lot and his lips pull back when you are touching him. At first I thought it was aggression, maybe a dominance thing, however I've now had him a year and its obvious that its just a character trait. The lip curling is a grin, he does it when he first sees me when I've been out. The grumbling is also pleasure based as he does it when he rolls over to have his chest and stomach rubbed. Its so important to take the time to understand the messages. If I had been hard on him when he first showed that behaviour it would have been for the wrong reason and he would have had every right to mistrust me.

I live near Faversham so a bit of a way from Keston, however if I ever plan to come that way I'll drop you a line to meet up
UKK9
Just Whelped

Post by UKK9 »

Brindle Lake Dog wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:41 am Welcome to the forum. Pics! We need pics :whistle:

Edited to add: I see that you posted pics in the photo section :wtg:
I'll add a few more. I have a litter of pups at the moment so will post some of them as well.
UKK9
Just Whelped

Post by UKK9 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:37 am Welcome!! we had, a while back, another rough coat member. Ill have to remember her name but they are so adorable. I love how their ears pop out of the curls.
Thank you for the welcome.

To be honest, I saw a photo on google of a rough coat that reminded me of a werewolf. I though I have got to have one of those. At first I thought it was a dark Lakenois, it took me ages to find out what breed it was, then it took me another couple of years to locate a litter and convince the breeder to sell me one. I absolutely love them. I'm a GSD person having worked, trained and bred them for over 40 years but I have to say the Rough Coat Dutch Herder has stolen my heart.
UKK9
Just Whelped

Post by UKK9 »

centrop67 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:15 pm
Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:37 am we had, a while back, another rough coat member.
That was JAN (from the Netherlands). Unfortunately, the last access to the site was in 2017.

It's cool to have another Rough Coat on board. We get asked about their availability in the U.S. from time-to-time. As far as I know, there is no one breeding or importing them here.
I believe there are about 60 Rough Coats in the USA but certainly not very many people breeding them. Its estimated that there are only about 800 - 1000 worldwide with the majority being in The Netherlands and Germany.

There is a real danger of the Rough Coat dyeing out if the breed continues to decline, its why I have bred a litter of pups to provide UK based people with the option of owning one but as they are relatively unheard of over here its proving to be a bit of a struggle.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

thats great !!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Welcome
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
UKK9
Just Whelped

Post by UKK9 »

Thank you
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Soooooo. I have a question. How do you care for the coat? At what age do you start hand stripping?
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs