Hello from N. Florida

For our new members to introduce themselves
interferon
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Been around dogs all my life, mixes to wolves. Looking for information about the DS breed from owners.

Hello from N. Florida

Post by interferon »

Hello Everyone,

My name is Dan and I live in North Florida. I am currently without a dog which is odd for me. Thinking about a DS for my next canine friend, but I am trying to educate myself as much as possible about the breed.

I think the forum is great - thanks for being a resource for those of us not yet initiated.

Best,
Dan
Dan from North Florida
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Hello from N. Florida

Post by Dutchringgirl »

welcome ! yes, being with out a dog would be like me not having arms. what is directing you towards a DS?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
interferon
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Been around dogs all my life, mixes to wolves. Looking for information about the DS breed from owners.

Post by interferon »

Great question! One aspect is that I need a good guard dog. We live in a rural area and having a good dog around the house would be welcomed by all. My last dog had a back issue very common in German Shepherds so GS’s were out. Knowing that I wanted a shepherd, I gravitated to a Mal, but from what I have heard, Mal’s can be more high energy than DS’s. I’m ok with high energy, actually looking forward to it for an exercise companion and maybe some kind of agility or Schutzhund stuff. Anyway, the breed characteristics seem to be very close to what I want and although it’s superficial, I think the dark brindle is just so cool.
Dan from North Florida
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

yes, the brindle is very cool. That, Im sure you know, should not be the guiding force in your decision. I can understand wanting a guard dog. Do you run? Bike? The DS would be better than the Mal, I had both and prefer the DS. They are great at agility, I did that with my Thalie and could not keep up with her! We also did Ring sport for years and it was a blast. She came mountain biking with me all of the time too.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
interferon
Just Whelped

Post by interferon »

Haha, of course the coat color is not a guidance force, just a perk of the breed! I do run and bike. It would be really nice to have dog running next to me on some trails around here. Agility seems fun!
Dan from North Florida
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

This site is very helpful in educating oneself about the breed.
Do you drink? You might start if you choose to get a DS. Kidding. (Maybe not).
Welcome.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG