Thanks for the memebership

For our new members to introduce themselves
Char_BM
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of my first DS puppy, Anouk. We will be using him for IGP and Rally-O once he grow up.

Thanks for the memebership

Post by Char_BM »

Hi all,

First of all - thanks for the membership. I have been following this forum on the sideline, as I did my research on which breed we should choose as our new family addition.

So guess what: We finally got our DS puppy! Yay!

We are a married couple, living in Denmark (Europe), previous bullterrier, amstaff, and labrador owners. We fell in love with the shepherd breeds, after meeting my sister-in-law's Swiss Shepherd. However, we wanted a shepherd with more energy, and after meeting the DS we were completely sold!

This is our new little friend: Anouk! He is 15 weeks old now, and we are still getting to know him!
We got him from a breeder in Germany, after carefully researching which line of dogs we wanted a puppy from.

We went to get him 4 weeks ago, which included a 12-hour drive back home. Anouk did so well - our first night together was spent at a hotel, where I slept on the floor with him. After the trip, he has spent a few weeks coming around in his new home. We have a cat, which he gets along with just fine.

We are looking forward to joining the discussions on the forum, now that we actually have some DS-experience to share!
:DScool:

-Mads & Charlotte
-Charlotte |Proud owner of Anouk |
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Re: Thanks for the memebership

Post by ICE »

very handsome guy!
Patty and Ice
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome. He's pretty big already for 15 weeks!
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Char_BM
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of my first DS puppy, Anouk. We will be using him for IGP and Rally-O once he grow up.

Post by Char_BM »

ICE wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:07 pmvery handsome guy!
Thanks! I hope he will look like his father - he is really stunning with a gold bridle coat!
centrop67 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:14 pm Welcome. He's pretty big already for 15 weeks!
Yeah it seems like the little man is having a massive growth spurt right now. He is exhausted and I swear it seems like his legs have grown after each nap! (he was also the biggest one in the littler :player: )
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

Welcome....how did you go about choosing which line of dogs you wanted to get your puppy from ?
Tim
Char_BM
Just Whelped

Post by Char_BM »

Tim91118 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:12 pm Welcome....how did you go about choosing which line of dogs you wanted to get your puppy from ?
Thank you!
First thing we did was to go and talk to some DS owners at a local dog show. They gave us some information about where we could find some breeders. DS are very rare in Denmark, so we quickly realized that we had to look elsewhere.

The next thing we started looking for, was breeders with focus on sports dogs - in particular agility.
Neither of us have ever owned a working type dog, so we didn't want a dog with a crazy drive or desire to protect.
However, after all this research, we are very open to trying IGP if Anouk turns out to love bite work.

We contacted several breeders and described what we were looking for and they were very helpful.
In the end our final selection was based on bloodline, health and traits of the parents and how they breeders were raising the puppies. The breeders we chose had full health and mental testing of both of the parents, which I find very important. The dam is currently competing and titled in IGP and is trained in nosework too. The sire has multiple titles in agility and rally-o. Both dogs are good with strangers and other animals.

We ended up selecting Anouk out of the puppies the breeders had selected for us, because he was very relaxed and interested in us compared to his two other siblings. He had a good toy drive and he didn't seem worried about being handled or by any strange noises we made. In the end, he will be a family dog, so he needs to be able to navigate in everyday family life.

I guess time will tell what kind of dog he turns out to be. He seems very kind and easy to work with as of now. He needs a little time to investigate new things, but he doesn't seem timid or nervous.
But he is only 4 months old, so I guess a lot can change :D we have an important job ahead of us!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (216.72 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

What you’re seeing now is pretty much what you’ll have. You do the molding and tweaking with him so he becomes a trusted part of the family.
Tim
Char_BM
Just Whelped

Post by Char_BM »

Tim91118 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:56 pm What you’re seeing now is pretty much what you’ll have. You do the molding and tweaking with him so he becomes a trusted part of the family.

Then he will be a nice and mellow dog! He seems very polite towards other dogs as well.
Hoping to build his drive and energy when working with him. But right now, it seems like all his energy is spent growing some long legs :lol:
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Welcome. He sounds like a great dog.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs