New member here.

For our new members to introduce themselves
GSP John
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Currently have 3 German Shorthaired Pointers, Gus(6), Isabel(3), and Tater(1.5) plus our rescue mutt Jade(?). Have been looking into Agility and that has brought me to the Dutch Shepherd. Doing as much research as possible before making the leap.

New member here.

Post by GSP John »

HI All,
Just joined and trying to do some research about the Dutch Shepherd breed and characteristics. I have been a hunter all of my life and have experience in training upland bird dogs. I have been wanting to get in to agility and that is what brought me to this breed. Hope to get some good advice and direction from the members here.

John
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Re: New member here.

Post by Tim91118 »

Welcome......seems like other breeds would excel more in agility. What else is drawing you to the Dutch Shepherd ?
Tim
GSP John
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Currently have 3 German Shorthaired Pointers, Gus(6), Isabel(3), and Tater(1.5) plus our rescue mutt Jade(?). Have been looking into Agility and that has brought me to the Dutch Shepherd. Doing as much research as possible before making the leap.

Post by GSP John »

Tim91118 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:46 pm Welcome......seems like other breeds would excel more in agility. What else is drawing you to the Dutch Shepherd ?
You are correct,there are many breeds that will do agility. I like the intelligence, intensity, and drive the breed seems to have. Love my GSP's for bird hunting, looking for a breed with some different qualities.

John
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

My Dutch loves agility along with all the other sports he is active in. They are very smart, agile and excel/enjoy most sports you train in. They are an all around fun dog but you need to keep in mind their activity level. They do not excel in couch sitting or tv watching.... LOL
Patty and Ice
GSP John
Just Whelped

Post by GSP John »

This is why I am here asking others for their thoughts before I commit to the breed, versus commiting to the breed and coming here asking for help. I'm in no hurry and keeping my eyes and ears open for the right dog.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Agility, NOSEWORK!, hell man, I'd bet you can train a DS to point. I use mine for big game recovery and treeing squirrels.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Post by Laplaiefier »

Agility? Are you kidding me? Couch sitting? TV? I was told that these dogs are for protection and not hunting. Hmm... Rocket took the news a little hard but quickly forgot about it. See I made the mistake of trainning him like a dog. Once I started trainning him like a cat, everything was a lot easier. Can only kick a tennis ball past him 10% of the time now, he thinks the alarm sensors are lasers, TV's are just windows to out side, but I think his watching the security monitors has a lot to do with that. He stalks the birds and cats fairly well but his lack of patience gets the best of him. He's getting better at stealth in setting up for an ambush. I usually wind up playing the dog flushing out the animal in question. Clears our back yard in 15sec and can take your hat off your head without touching you. And the couch? He launches over the coffee table and lets everyone that passes know he's not really sleeping. He's not allowed on the table so he just floats over. And he still wants to bite those fireworks and firecrackers. Drug dealers that happen by keep trying to poison him so he hased to wear a screen to keep those little laced treats out. Took him 2 days at 2 months old to learn to sit and down. Ten days to retrieve a ball. It took him 8 months to learn humility and he still doesn't want to heel. He knows how. He can perfectly. He just doesn't tolerate it for long. Stubbornness is embedded in his genes. Spitting out good tasting stuff? Still workin on it. Stubborn. Still a battle of wills.
I'm not sure if that's common traits chracter for DS or not. Seems like its a Rocket trait.
:DScool:

U still want a DS?

Rocket isn't a dog. He's family.
Jay knowles
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Post by Jay knowles »

Sounds a lot like my dog. Jay