Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

For our new members to introduce themselves
Cheez Whipple
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Former owner of an athletic and driven GSD who is ready to turn the dial up to Dutch Shepherd

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

Post by Cheez Whipple »

Hi everyone-

I just joined the forum and I'm in Portland OR. We're ready to bring a dog into the family and I've been really attracted to this breed for a quite a while. My last dog was a GSD and he was a worker. As such, I trained and worked with him almost daily. Plus, I exercised him daily (mtn biking, running, hiking, chukar hunting, etc), too. He was an aerobic beast of a dog, but also a super good natured boy. He was the best darn dog I ever had and although it's taken a while, I'm ready to start over.

I've done a lot of reading about the Dutch Shepherd breed, both on this forum and other sites, and maybe you all can help me out with something. There is a Dutch Shepherd breeder a couple hours north of here whom I've spoken with and I'm, so far, impressed with how he conducts business. But, my question is this: do you all know of breeders that are not so focused on producing the best PNKV dogs, but who are still true to the Dutch Shepherd breed (FCI)? Note, I did read the post on breeders and found it really helpful. My dog will be trained, but I'm not as interested in the ultra high-drive dog that would excel in schutzhund, police, military, or search and rescue work. I'm assuming just about any Dutchie is gonna be high energy, and I want that, I'm just developing the sense that the breeders (at least in the US) are accommodating the market demand for the service dogs I mentioned above. Am I crazy, here? Also, if there are other threads on this topic, feel free to direct me to them.

Thanks a ton, y'all!
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

Post by TimL_168 »

I think you'll run in to some varying opinions on the topic, even here. In general though, I think a lot of folks in the working community aren't completely on board with the FCI. Think of them as a parallel to the AKC. Taking the emphasis away from health and working ability and placing it on confirmation and ability to show.
Also, it's only a very small percentage of dogs that actually makes it through all the way to being put to work some where. There are a lot of dogs that come from serious breedings that don't quite have what it takes to make it in pro competition, military, or law enforcement. Some of those dogs are very intense. Some of them are better suited to an active family that can work and train them to still do some pretty cool stuff.
Now, the question I'm left with is this; what interests you in the breed? You've said you want the drive and energy and will train the dog, but you've also isolated the very things that these herding, working farm dogs excel at. Most of the traits that make a good farm dog carry over into the highly specialized fields these dogs are used in these days.
My dog was a wash out in human remains detection. I use her to hunt small game and trail and recover large game. She likes to chase. She likes to bite. She's an asshole sometimes. So, while I'm not going to go to the club and spend countless hours going over protection training, I do give her some basic exercises to make sure she's got a safety on her.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

There are very few FCI specific breeders. More choices among KNPV breeders. Make sure that they are testing both their male and female dogs to handle bite work pressure. A dog that can handle pressure is going to be more level headed and less of a liability.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome to the forum.

If the breeder close by is as good as you say, he should be able to help match you up with the right pup. Of course, that would be after he has the litter and has evaluated the pups.

I think you will find that most of the reputable breeders are breeding for protection, police, and military purposes, and to be honest that is what's best for the breed. Yes, there are a lot of family dog Dutch Shepherds, because not all of the pups are going to have what it takes to succeed at the highest level necessary for police and military application. The remaining dogs have to go somewhere, and with the right training and attention to the dogs needs, that will work out fine.

Good luck. I hope you find what you're looking for, and if so we can't wait to see the puppy pictures.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers