Puppy goes psyco/demon dog at night, sometimes...

For our new members to introduce themselves
Bousman
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi. I work in Anti Poaching and have all my formal dog handling qualifications. I decided to get a dutchie as I have worked with GSD amd malinois before, so why not try dutchie. Wow, a busy busy busy dog!

Puppy goes psyco/demon dog at night, sometimes...

Post by Bousman »

Hi all! I am new to the forum.
my wife and I got a dutchie pup, now 3 months old.

I used to work with GSD and malinois, so I figured to try dutchie. Wow. These are super busy dogs.

Now the question, my boy Azu, turns into the devil himself at night, sometimes. Goes all super crazy and bites really hard.
pupils dilated, panting and it's like he smoked crack. He is super focused and would do just about anything for a treat. Chases after bugs and really, just super hyper focused and energetic.

Is he over tierd or under stimulated?

Thanks in advance
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Puppy goes psyco/demon dog at night, sometimes...

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome to what I call crazy hour.

My previous boy Radar was scary during these periods. It pretty much disappeared when he was around two years old, and though I have no science or study to back it up, I believe it is hormonal. He did have some crazy hour nights up until the Cancer took him from me last year, but they were few and far between.

For him, we worked very hard on relaxation training. It's basically place and free shape with rewards for any relaxation behavior - laying down, hip roll, chin down, etc. We worked on that several times a day, and eventually only did it when he would start acting up.

My current dog Mustang also has these moments, but he is more into zoomies than being mouthy. I let him work out the energy on his own.

I think it's common for the breed, as several members have talked about similar situations.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I think that is a good strategy.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

What role are you playing in getting the pup amped up ?
Tim
Bousman
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi. I work in Anti Poaching and have all my formal dog handling qualifications. I decided to get a dutchie as I have worked with GSD amd malinois before, so why not try dutchie. Wow, a busy busy busy dog!

Post by Bousman »

Thanks for your responses. Sorry to hear about Radar :'(

This usually happens shortly after dinner, when he decides not to take his nap. I am away from home at night and planning on letting him start work with me soon. So my wife has to sit with little DD (Demon Dog).

She literally doesn't to anything to amp him up. He chills by the front door, then comes running into the kitchen, pupils dilated and then gets super mouthy and goes bonkers/dd..

2 years!?

What I do notice however, he is in super focus mode.

Should I do a short training session when he's like that? Because he is super driven and literally looks like he drank 20 redbulls. Super hyper but super focused to get those treats.

I'm still working on his obedience, he's getting there and gets certain commands faster than others.

So, short obedience session when he's DD?
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

Definitely tap into a focused pup. Use the food wisely to get the responses you are looking for.
Tim
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

They can get really amped up.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

For sure, take advantage of the dog's focus and energy. Try just a two minute set of obedience drills, or better yet- NOSEWORK!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

Any updates to share Bousman ?
Tim