East Texas Intro

For our new members to introduce themselves
syzygy
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have two wonderful van Neerland Dutch Shepherds and play a little at UKC events.

Re: East Texas Intro

Post by syzygy »

Hi, Denise!

Yeah, the flirty little Poms are a whole new world for me, sort of like getting caught in a bad dream, lol. I am learning a LOT about small dogs. I belong to a competitive Pom list and most toy dog competitors will not do the OB with group stays, simply because several toy dogs in the past ten years have been killed by a larger dog that just could not control that "Squeaky toy with a creamy middle!" impulse. Some of the conformation shows nowadays, including ours in Longview, have a separate toy room. They might as well admit it--they are a whole different species!

I have a borzoi puppy right now from East European hunting lines who has picked the big black Pom as her best friend--hilarious to watch but I have to keep an eye on them--the puppy (who can look over a kitchen counter at 6 months with all four feet on the ground) sometimes puts the little dog's entire head in her mouth. My best friend growing up had a GSD that dragged the family cat around by the head. The cat died of ripe old age in her mid-20's, so nothing ever went wrong-- but one hard shake-snap and no more toy dog or cat.

My Dutch Shepherds are wonderful and tolerant with the little things--they were raised with them, go to classes with the tiniest little Chihuahuas, cared for ducks and chickens. They do not like "invaders" such as a stray cat moving into the yard, but I *almost* trust my DS girls with the temptation in spite of the high drive.

I want to do the coursing terribly! When I find out more about it, I will let you know.

Ellisa
"I have gone off to find myself. If I get back before I return, keep me here."
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: East Texas Intro

Post by GSDNanny »

I had heard of horror stories of the little tykes in the ring mauled by larger dogs and I just shuddered. Never witnessed that myself thank goodness. My GSDs and the Dutch all get along very very well with my little Chi's and so far, the farm critters. My sister has Poms but I prefer a wash-n-wear breed(s). Having helped my grandmother groom dozens of Shitzus and Poodles all my life as a child, I swore I would NEVER have a dog that had to have much grooming!! Needless to say, I have always had German Shedders tho, nearly 50 years now. What's a little dog hair among friends, I say!!
Please do let me know more about the coursing. I have two here that would probably absolutely love that and it would be a sport that they could run to hearts content, but not me!! At my age, I dont do the 'run' thing anymore if I can at all help it!!

Denise Gatlin

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana