It's 96°F outside, the sidewalk is 134.6°F, what would you do??

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: It's 96°F outside, the sidewalk is 134.6°F, what would you do??

Post by Dutchringgirl »

If you want to say something, then say it. There is no reason to yell though. I know we get mad and think that they are a-holes, and they probably are. But take a breath and maybe go up to them and talk like you are having a regular conversation. Say something like ' hey, Its really hot out and the pavement is hotter, I just want to let you know that it may scold the pads " Its not what you say but how you say it.

The other week, I picked up my daughter from a friends and had the pups with me, i was in my older truck and it does not have ac but it was not very hot out. I had to run to walgreens and run in really quick. The truck was parked in the shade and the windows were open. they wont jump out. SOme lady comes in YELLING at me, my daughter and I were at the register. She just came in the front door " ARE THOSE YOUR DOGS?!" yes , I said. " WELL ITS 90 OUT". I said, " no its not " IN THE CAR IT IT" I said its only 65 out. " WELL YOUR DOG SOUNDS DISTRESSED !! " Its a shepherd, they get distressed when you go in the bathroom

Now, if she came up to me and asked like a nice lady, I would have nicely told her. But she ran in, yelled, and ran right out.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I need a set too. As Bramble starts access training she will need to go every where we go. Planning for access training has really made me look at "going" from a dog need point of view.

Does the paste work against heat? I'd read somewhere that booties are sometimes a problem because they prevent heat exchange.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

If I saw dogs in the car, I would just call the police right off the bat. Mine usually stay home when its that warm, but I wasnt hot. Most of the problem is everyone loves to run around and yell at people then post on face book.

If you want to say something, there is nothing wrong with a nice chat.

I know paw pads callus like our hands so I dont know though, if they are callous enough to help with walks on hot pavement. I know my basset will walk on the hot brick in the back yard and not be bothered but they have very wide paws.

Maybe look around to see what bootes or things are available?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I've seen good reviews of those and they are on my list to buy....when I'm not paying for a million other priorities ;)

If you get them let me know how it goes.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs