So proud!

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

So proud!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

So I live in an apartment complex, in a fairly large city. Not by choice, I'm a country girl raised on 10+ acres. Oh well, it's temporary while the other 1/2 goes to school. Anyways, it can be quite a challenge with the dogs. I keep a somewhat 'no pet' policy with Koenig. Not because I don't trust him with strangers, but because he's going to be my working dog, and I need to be his ONLY concern- I don't want to have to fight for attention. The English Pointer whores herself out to anyone who comes within 5 feet, and I don't want Koenig acting like this.

This morning at the bus stop (usually has 20 ish kids, from kindergarten to 5th grade) one of the first kids very politely asked to pet Koenig. He was at his 'place' laying between my legs, so I said sure. One child quickly multiplied into the entire PACK of kids, all mobbing my young, excitable, sometimes mouthy dog. He held his place, soaking up the attention, and glancing up at me every 5 seconds or so.

GOOD BOY, Koenig! I was SOOOO happy that he stayed calm, and even happier he held his place. Once I removed all the kids from my dog (hahah) Koenig got to show off a little, and was put through his commands, with lots of hand touches. (jumping dutchie style high, of course) Not surprisingly, these kids have never seen any dog act like anything more then the average pet. I thought they were going to pass out when they realized I was giving commands that didn't sound like normal words (german) "What does plffffff mean? (Platz, silly 8 yr old)????" I explained, and they just couldn't believe a DOG could speak a GERMAN! Then we had to go through everything. Bring, hier, fuss, bleib, etc....

Anyways, my little brag of the day. SO proud of my kid for being good, and still having the focus to work after all the pets and loves from strangers. Of course, during all this attention, my 6 yr old is telling everyone "Koenig is a Dutch Shepherd. They are not the same as a german shepherd. His color is called brindle, and thats why he has stripes. He is ment for cops."
What a dork.

thanks for listening! My hubby is not nearly as impressed as I am. He's never had a drivey/crazy dog like Koenig, and just assumes every dog should be pet by everyone, under any circumstance. I figured you folks might get why I'm so thrilled by his behavior! ;)
Kelly
Koenig
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: So proud!

Post by icvanstra »

Very Cool! It never ceases to amaze me that people think a dog cannot "speak" any language other than Canine and English. ;)

when I first got Abigail (my mutt) my friends joked that I had invented a new language: Abigailese. It was a mix of german, dutch, english, grunts/sounds, whistles...whatever worked. I was a complete newbie and whatever word/grunt/sound that came out of my mouth while trying to teach her something ... or stop her from doing something she shouldn't do.

on another note. Don't forget to sign your posts. You can update your signature line with you name so you don't have to remember.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Very impressive! What a good boy!

It always cracks me up when people think different language commands make any difference to a dog at all. Also, they're so impressed by hand signals, when of course, that's so much easier for a dog than a verbal cue :lol: .
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Isn't it funny? People just don't get 'dog brain'. They don't realize how easy it would be to teach a dog to sit when we say down. Down when we say sit. Jump when we say stay.... they aren't human folks. Welcome to the world of operant conditioning!! Koenig still needs 'help' with a signal for Platz sometimes. (under distractions, usually) I introduced the command too early. My bad. He's a good teacher though! Very patient, so long as I don't run out of chicken breast. . .

Kelly
Now, off to change my signature. I'll always forget to, if I don't add it Eric! ;)
Kelly
Koenig
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

turnnburn52984 wrote:Now, off to change my signature. I'll always forget to, if I don't add it Eric! ;)
Thank you Kelly! It makes it so much easier to "know" who is who....and...all of your previous posts are now signed as well!
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

:) No prob!!!
Kelly
Koenig
muttnutty
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi, my name is Deanna and I have had two Dutchs, my second being a courtesy listed rescue thru NADSR. I have found the perfect breed for me and would like to get more involved in training and rescue. I could not imagine not having a Dutch (at least one!) in my life. Thank you, Deanna

Post by muttnutty »

That's awesome Kelly! I find the little things that my dog accomplishes make me feel very proud too and think it's great when other people do also. We aren't going to make this world a better place for dogs if we don't acknowledge that and show people what wonderful, intelligent animals they are. I'm not even quite sure why they hang out with us (food!) especially after the abuse that some of them go through, but thank God they do!

Deanna and Zori (my rescue that will always be "in progress")
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

turnnburn52984 wrote:I explained, and they just couldn't believe a DOG could speak a GERMAN! Then we had to go through everything. Bring, hier, fuss, bleib, etc....
Risking neighborhood kids lives to advance your training huh? :mrgreen:
I know it must have fealt good and I am happy for you.
I doubt that your dog 'speaks' German though. ;) I once had a smart little kid correct me when I said that the dog (named Tino) spoke English, French and Dutch. Kid shakes his head and says 'no, he doesn't' So I tell him that yes, he does! Go ahead and try some commands.
Then the kid tells me that he does not speak these languages, but that he merely understands them. Uh...... Uh.... Darnit. Little smart@ss was right. :oops:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Don't ya hate it when the little 2 leggeds out smart you? I do! It's one thing when one of my DOGS out-smarts me... but to have a kid be a smart @$$ just makes me mad! :D It happens on a daily basis here- I share my home with a 2 and 6 yr old! Yikes!
Kelly
Koenig
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

Have patience dear. I have heard that the first 40 years of parenthood are the hardest. After that, I gets easier. ;)
turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

40 years. . . crap. 38 to go on the young one? A red-head at that? I'm screwed!
Kelly
Koenig
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

Maybe you can place them in rescue. :mrgreen:
turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Ohhh, thats a great idea... ;) Then I can fill the extra bedrooms with Dutchies! :D My hubby will be just THRILLED with that.
Kelly
Koenig
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

He really might...if you tell him about the life sentence he is facing if he keeps the rugrats? :mrgreen:
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

vneerland wrote:Have patience dear. I have heard that the first 40 years of parenthood are the hardest. After that, I gets easier. ;)

You are right about that!!!! My oldest is 29 (the son in Iraq right now) and youngest is 21 (in college). I had no idea child-rearing would be a lifelong committment, financially, emotionally.......Enjoy them when they are little. :g_wink: I tell folks I would blind-swap my oldest for a 2 yr old anyday!! :lol: :rocklicker:

Denise Gatlin

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

I'm late to reply- been busy, behind on my dutchie reading! ;)

You haven't met MY 2 yr old! Spit-fire little red head. In the span of a month she went from quietly going to her room and crying, coming out when she was sweet.... to 'Kylie, go to your room please, we'll see you when you're sweet' and getting back a resounding 'NO!!!!!!!!!'

She's revenge for my older boy, who was the sweetest infant, toddler, and preschooler ever. No talking back, no tantrums, etc. Just a nice sweet boy. Kylie (2 yr old) has even managed to get a growl out of Koenig a couple times today. We're pushing the limits, me thinks... :twisted:
Kelly
Koenig