Litter Letters

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Aztechalo
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I live in North Monterey County, CA with my husband, three step kids, one gorgeous and wonderful Dutch Shepherd and a whole bunch of livestock type animals. The humans are into sustainable farming, the dog is into chasing deer and digging up gophers. My day job is an Operations Supervisor at Santa Cruz Regional 911. One of these days, I'm going to get another DS.

Litter Letters

Post by Aztechalo »

What do the letter designations for puppy litters mean? I breed Dutch horses and the letters correspond with the year for every horse born in a particular year (all horses born in 2010 started with "F") but clearly that's not the case with Dutch dogs. Is it based on the kennel or the bitch?
Marsha and Chaos (4 yo, DS)

In all Chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order.
-Carl Jung
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Re: Litter Letters

Post by vneerland »

Aztechalo wrote:What do the letter designations for puppy litters mean? I breed Dutch horses and the letters correspond with the year for every horse born in a particular year (all horses born in 2010 started with "F") but clearly that's not the case with Dutch dogs. Is it based on the kennel or the bitch?
In the USA, it is usually personal choice. A breeder can chose a letter per litter, so it would then be connected to the kennel(name)
Some breeders have themes instead. And others have no system at all, and anything goes. In some (FCI ) countries, it is a letter per year for the entire registry and all dogs (of all breeds) born to that registry in that year. For example: France has an F year, this year. :mrgreen:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

as an example - my DS is named Cino. His siblings are Cooper and Camo ... sorry forgot the other littermates names.

He is from the third litter of the kennel. Well technically the third DS litter of that kennel. When someone sees that the dog's registered name is Fuzzylicious Kennel Name ... they now it was from the sixth litter of that kennel.

Cino vom Foxtal is his registered name. But ... that doesn't mean it is his call name. Around the house I often call him Bug. Sometimes there other choice names I use. :o But I have yet to use the 40 pound food motivation method on him. Judith: :ds:

I went through a lot of names before the obvious one popped into my head. Cino is the son of Nico. which for some reason everyone wants to pronounce see-no.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

:shock: Quit telling on me Eric! My food motivation techniques are -at times- slightly unconventional. :yernuts:

All kidding aside:
I would love to hear from other breeders and other countries how they go about naming their pups.
I use letters. It has helped me a lot, to be honest, because over time, I don't always remember who a pup was out of, unless I can determine the 'batch'. :oops:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

icvanstra wrote: Cino is the son of Nico. which for some reason everyone wants to pronounce see-no.
Isn't that how you pronounce Cino? :D

Seriously...if not, what is the correct pronounciation...

And, I see Nico as nee-ko. Is that wrong, too? :rocklicker:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
syzygy
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have two wonderful van Neerland Dutch Shepherds and play a little at UKC events.

Post by syzygy »

I love the litter letter method myself. I have a lot of breeder friends who use it and I always know who is related to whom, and which dog is older or younger. Some of my other friends are enamoured of the "theme" names. OK, I am from the Dark Ages. What the heck is a "muscle car?" What's an exotic orchid? Can you name one? Elvis songs? I listen to classical, augh! I can handle the Star Trek litters. Not much else. I have a dog from "Pirates of the Caribbean" litter. Great, I have not seen those movies. Her name is Interceptor. Sounds like *that* could be a muscle car to ignorant me. If you are fond of keeping pedigree records, the letter thing is just a lot easier on older folks like me. :?
E
"I have gone off to find myself. If I get back before I return, keep me here."
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

leih merigian wrote:Isn't that how you pronounce Cino? :D

Seriously...if not, what is the correct pronounciation...

And, I see Nico as nee-ko. Is that wrong, too? :rocklicker:
Cino is - kee-no

And Nico is - nee-ko

...it's okay, I have spent my entire life with people not able to properly pronounce my last name. Although, we do have a few members on this board who do so more correctly than I do. :lol: When my parents came here the person at the immigration desk decided for them that a name with two words in it was not acceptable and changed the capitalization and condensed the name.

Once your SS card has been issues ... good luck trying to get it corrected. :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

icvanstra wrote:
Cino is - kee-no
ow, I thought it was the spanisch way, as in Al pacino, Tjee-no...

In Holland the breeder can decide which letter to use, most go from a-z, but I know one that uses the letters of the kennelname. So if the kennelname is "brindle" first litter is B, nest litter R etc. etc. Here in Germany you have to use the a-z method.
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Marjolein wrote: In Holland the breeder can decide which letter to use, most go from a-z, but I know one that uses the letters of the kennelname. So if the kennelname is "brindle" first litter is B, nest litter R etc. etc. Here in Germany you have to use the a-z method.
Wow, is that different! It's amazing how much variation there is in this kind of convention.

Eric...thanks for the clue! So, it's just a hard "c." Works for me :mrgreen: .
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Aztechalo
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I live in North Monterey County, CA with my husband, three step kids, one gorgeous and wonderful Dutch Shepherd and a whole bunch of livestock type animals. The humans are into sustainable farming, the dog is into chasing deer and digging up gophers. My day job is an Operations Supervisor at Santa Cruz Regional 911. One of these days, I'm going to get another DS.

Post by Aztechalo »

Sorry I've been absent from the conversation. The kids killed my computer with a virus...I think it's very interesting that all the countries have different naming standards. Maybe it says something about the culture of the country.
Marsha and Chaos (4 yo, DS)

In all Chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order.
-Carl Jung
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

I too have always thought it was see-no. Good thing you posted the correct way to say it, Eric!
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Aztechalo wrote:Sorry I've been absent from the conversation. The kids killed my computer with a virus...I think it's very interesting that all the countries have different naming standards. Maybe it says something about the culture of the country.
as in "in Holland anything goes" and "in Germany they still have structure" ? :lol: