Anecdotes from the WEIRD, WILD, WONDERFUL WORLD of our DS

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Re: Anecdotes from the WEIRD, WILD, WONDERFUL WORLD of our D

Post by Stacy_R »

johninny wrote:the culprit was a long, voluptuous, and very fashionable fur coat topped off with a fur hat. i hurried the fashion police back to barracks.

p.s., in 3 1/2 weeks, Tracer will turn 1 year old.
I seriously just about spit out my coffee!!!

Happy almost birthday, Tracer!!!
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

another Tracer story - relevant while ELLI peering into the washer is still on DSf's masthead:

on saturday morning, took Tracer with me for a business affairs meeting followed by a bunch of errands and detours. one such detour was into a Best Buy as practice for Tracer. i went to appliances - something i have never done there - and first checked out a washer, opening the upper lid to see its capacity. as i leaned over to look in, Tracer immediately jumped up ELLI-style and looked in alongside me.

no sooner had we gotten our look and i closed the lid than a bunch of people were coming toward us and surrounding us smiling with the first guy [a BB employee] who spoke expressing the sentiments of the group, ''THAT is the coolest thing i have ever seen here!''

of course, ELLI's image flashed in my head.
just one of those little moments.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

:lol: I can see it. Sounds like Thor. Whatever I'm looking in or at or poking around in, he's beside me doing the same. There's no such thing a private moment with these guys.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

there is currently a new ad for Audi on TV where a guy says ''HELLO?'' in the way you would arriving on someone's porch in the summer standing outside an open, screened door. EVERY time it comes on, the dogs GO BALLISTIC!

[ i have not SEEN the ad - only have heard it as each and every time i have been in another room.]
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Anecdotes from the WEIRD, WILD, WONDERFUL WORLD of our DS

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I feel like resurrecting this thread because it's glorious.

Last night H and I were on a walk with Jakai and Mary. I had put H in his "backpack" AKA "make him my purse harness" so his shape was... uh... interesting and large. Anyways we were coming back to the parking lot, it's night and the parking lot is fairly dark, and this little girl was crossing our path about 10 feet head of H and I. She's giving him and Jakai the eye as they are about her size and WAY bigger thanks to H's backpack shape, clearly going, "OMG those dogs are as big as I am!" and a little scared. So I pause and let her finish crossing our path and move so H and I swing around behind her, just to give her a little more space rather than have the big scary dog in the dark pass a foot behind her. Mary asks why I did that and I replied, "H can be scary in his backpack." As soon as I finished that sentence H was on my feet - apparently he had performed a somersault to land directly on my moving feet, upside down, and proceeded to "swim" upside along the grass like a snake.

I paused. Stared at him "swimming" upside down with a huge grin on his face. Sighed. "Derp."

I took a step over him and kept walking. Two steps later he popped up and jogged along merrily next to me like he had never taken a derp break.
Last edited by Owned-By-Hendrix on Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

What a doof! I think he gets his crazy-ass from you. Next, he'll start looking like you, if that hasn't already happened.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Oh totally. We are basically the same person in different forms... Although I want his svelte figure... My hair is stripe-y now... And he's picked up my habit of saying "omo" when things don't go my way lol. :lol: :lol:
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Double-derp. You two deserve each other.

I'll add to this thread with Thor's latest thing, which I do not understand but makes us laugh.

We call it the worried look....and the timing of it we call worry o'clock, or worry-thirty, or quarter-past worry.........

His ears go back and melt onto him so it looks like he doesn't have ears...and there's a soft, melt-y expression that goes with it, combined with slow, smooth, quiet, careful moves--slick as butter on a hot knife.

It only began a few months or so back but it's ALL about breakfast and dinner, no other time.

He gets soooooo worried, as if we're likely to forget, as if we ever have. I'm thinking this is derp material...?
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Bahahahahahaha! Oh Thor. "Mom you're gonna feed me, right? Right? Right now? Now? Please? I'm worried mom..."
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Raven wrote:Double-derp. You two deserve each other.

I'll add to this thread with Thor's latest thing, which I do not understand but makes us laugh.

We call it the worried look....and the timing of it we call worry o'clock, or worry-thirty, or quarter-past worry.........

His ears go back and melt onto him so it looks like he doesn't have ears...and there's a soft, melt-y expression that goes with it, combined with slow, smooth, quiet, careful moves--slick as butter on a hot knife.

It only began a few months or so back but it's ALL about breakfast and dinner, no other time.

He gets soooooo worried, as if we're likely to forget, as if we ever have. I'm thinking this is derp material...?
awww that is too cute !!!! Sadie does that where her hears melt into her head. The kids like to make her ears stand up, then lay down, then stand up , then lay down. Thaie'e ears never move, never.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Yesterday I found a great place for Sadie to swim, she does know how, but dosnt know she knows how. She loves the water but will only go where her feet touch. So I bought her a life jacket, yes, yes I did, and I found a great place where its shallow for quite far, then slowly drops off. So off we go, kids and dogs and the life jacket. We go in and I find some sticks ( because I forgot the tennis balls) (( yes, I got the look from Thalie, Mom HOW could your forget)) So on goes the life jacket, now Sadie looks like a red Turtle and Thalie is laughing at her. ( What?? You cant swim??, I knew you werent a DS!!)

I take them to the deeper part, Thalie, of course is swimming all over, ( See Sadie, THIS is how its done by a REAL Shepherd) So I go where its deeper and call Sadie to me, her eyes open really wide and she starts swimming............well, something that is supposed to be swimming, water is everywhere and all i see are these long brindle legs everywhere. Meanwhile, Thalie is gliding around like a swan.

She did get better but then I let her just stay in the shallow part for a bit.

The best part was a boat came by a bit too fast and made some small waves. we were sitting in the water and the dogs were standing next to me and when the waves came in, Sadie just about jumped out of her skin ( and the life jacket) WHAT THE HELL IS THIS !!!!!!!!!!! She was jumping around thinking this wet thing was attacking her. We were laughing so hard at Poor Sadie. Thalie was just face palming. Really mom ??

No, I didnt take pictures, bad mommy.

we plan on going back today, Ill make sure I bring the camera.
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Dutchringgirl wrote: she starts swimming............well, something that is supposed to be swimming, water is everywhere and all i see are these long brindle legs everywhere
:lol: I can so see this. Perfect image.

Between you and Sadie, Thalie will one day post herself on Craigslist. Just wait, you'll see. That, or put you and Sadie up for sale on it.

I always get visions of Thalie drawing a quiet, deep breath and shaking her head before removing herself.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Oh yes, Thalie will post Sadie on Craigslist one day. I know it was Thalie that pushed Sadie under the bed a few times.
ImageImage
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Bahahahahah! Oh man I am looking forward to the video! I too can totally see Thalie just sighing and shaking her head.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

Raven wrote:Double-derp. You two deserve each other.

HA! OMG...I love this! So true! :DSlove:
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

So...I have a new piece of exercise equipment in a room at the end of the house. I'm not terribly graceful these days and expected an oopsie along the way as I acclimated myself to it.

Thor was in the living room with his father when the thud-and-groan happened. I immediately heard Thor charge down the hall. A second later I heard the husband stir, so I called out "I'm okay...I'm okay..."

Come to find out, the husband hadn't heard anything (music-related hearing loss)--but Thor's reaction was so sharp and urgent, he figured something wasn't right.

MY BOY!

But after that, when I'd get on the machine, he kept either putting his head in the way or would push the top of his head into my neck or my face. A preventative measure. When I got him to stop doing that, he didn't want to go far, and it took some convincing that he didn't need to be flush against the machine.

This was another case of "I told you so, Mom."

I hadn't wanted him in the room when I worked out on this equipment; he reluctantly complied. Then came the oopsie. He feels better being in the room, so he's allowed but he must maintain a distance. And he's fine with that. And I'm kind of glad the oopsie happened. I've had a couple of struggles...and he just comes over and offers himself as a literal physical support. I don't have to say a word. He just does it, sensing it.

I don't think anyone would believe me if I told them Thor used to lie next to me and literally imitate two of the floor exercises I did when in physical therapy. Then, maybe you would...being DS owners.
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

I love Thor!!! This is such an awesome story!!!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
vicken
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Working woman who got a DS to keep her out of the office. Good dog!! She does her job. She has gotten Mom into agility, schutzhund and carting, all in her first 18 months. Now what? You want me to throw Balls, again?!!

Post by vicken »

Inti LOVES balls, the bigger the better. She is only allowed to play wit the 36 inch exercise balls unless she wears a muzzle, because one bite and the ball is shreds. And I can't afford a 10-20 dollar a day ball habit. So last week she looked into the window and saw me inflating a ball. I moved out of her view, then hid the ball. a half-hour later I went into the living room and let her in. She immediately went to the dog-stuff chest, opened it, dug passed the hated harnesses, and pulled out the muzzle. She shoved her nose into it, and kept trying to get it to fasten on her head! When I recovered from my laughter, I fastened it for her and took out the ball. She got a good 20 minutes of play. I have NEVER seen a dog try to muzzle themselves before!
Learning together with Inti.
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

vicken wrote: I have NEVER seen a dog try to muzzle themselves before!
:lol:

My guy willingly slips his head into his muzzle but the muzzle is for safety issues, not a HOLY-CRAP-IT'S- TIME-TO-PLAY-BALL emergency! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Too funny. We need pics.

It's super that she plays ball with it on.

I taught Thor not to use his teeth on those kiddie beach balls and push it with his nose instead. We play soccer with it. But...it takes concentration, tons of it, on his part to push and not bite when that ball rolls. Very hard on the poor boy. :player: :g_wink:
vicken
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Working woman who got a DS to keep her out of the office. Good dog!! She does her job. She has gotten Mom into agility, schutzhund and carting, all in her first 18 months. Now what? You want me to throw Balls, again?!!

Post by vicken »

sorry, havent mastered the pix yet
Learning together with Inti.