Kong Wobbler

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
FG167
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am/have been involved in Dock Jumping, Agility, Rally, Tracking, Flyball and Search and Rescue and Schutzhund :-)

Kong Wobbler

Post by FG167 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:42 am

I bought the boys a Kong Wobbler for Christmas and they got it early (lucky, spoiled boys!). They are also getting elk antlers so no worries, they will have something to open Christmas morning ;)

Madix caught onto the concept immediately and he's a nose pusher. When I put kibble in his Chuckle, he likes to roll it down the stairs, leisurely pick up the pieces that fly out, retrieve it at the bottom, bring it back up and start over again. He's a smarty-pants. I thought this might be more difficult but he just shoved it around until he was rewarded. Midas on the other hand, is UBER smart - he caught right on that Madix was going to do all the work and he could just trail after him and pick up the pieces :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n4VLZihsjs

leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Kong Wobbler

Post by leih merigian » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You know, it's very cool that Madix has no trouble with the other one eating the little kibbles while he's getting them to come out. The dogs seem so relaxed and fine with each other. Very nice.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...

Brindle
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: UWP Vrijheid's Force IPO3(x5),FH1,NW2,AD,TD,OSP,L1V, L1I, CGC,CD, TDX, TDU, K9 Blood Donor
Vrijheid's Qahlua (Vodka)
Valiant's Dynamic Dynamite ( Dynamite aka "DynaBite" )

Post by Brindle » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:56 pm

Blaze my Beauceron LOVES her Kong Wobbler. She's a pro at those food dispensing toys.

Force however ........ why waste time rolling things around.
His approach ...
Step one - hold toy between paws
Step two - place as much of toy in mouth as possable
Step three - bite hard
Step four - retrieve food from between toy fragments
:roll:

No more treat toys for him !!!
Jenny
(OR)

Vrijheid's Force
Vrijheid's Qahlua (Vodka)
Valiant's Dynamic Dynamite

Image Image

leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:32 pm

Brindle wrote: Force however ........ why waste time rolling things around.
His approach ...
Step one - hold toy between paws
Step two - place as much of toy in mouth as possable
Step three - bite hard
Step four - retrieve food from between toy fragments
:roll:

No more treat toys for him !!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...

Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:12 pm

whaha, here I could not let both my dogs play with one of those treat dispensing toys, they get along fine, but when it comes to food :envy: ALL MINE!!! :hammer:

Dingo is also the destroyer type, where Ivil takes her time and is pretty smart retrieving the treats, throwing it in the air works best according to her...

Rochele Smit
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have been active in the Dutch Shepherd world for 3 years now. I am very passionate about the breed and making it better. I own Zonya Gestreepte de Tijger. We did SDA back in MI and now train both Personal Protection and Mondioring out here in Colorado.

Post by Rochele Smit » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:01 am

I really want to get one of those... I just fear that Zonya would destroy it in a day. Her idea of being smart and getting the treats out would be to chew it in half. No toy I have EVER gotten her has lasted over a week, even the indestructible ones and black kongs. Now she just gets untreated 2ft 2x4's, once a week, but still chews them into oblivion by the end of the week. BUT Amazon has a super deal on them right now, $8.54 plus eligible for free super saver shipping, so I think I will get one. Wish me luck. :)
Rochele Smit
Centennial Working Dogs
www.centennialworkingdogs.com

FO PA Zonya de Gestreepte Tijger - SDA, PPD, and Mondioring

FG167
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am/have been involved in Dock Jumping, Agility, Rally, Tracking, Flyball and Search and Rescue and Schutzhund :-)

Post by FG167 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:57 am

I left it with Madix today while I went out for dinner with friends. He got it wedged behind my lounge, about a foot in the air. He hardly got any kibble out of it before it got stuck. Instead of ruining lounge/wall/toy, he left it there!!! I KNOW he wanted it b/c it's scratched a little but he was SO GOOD about not destroying anything to get to it. I think it should have a handle on it so that he can grab it with his mouth and put it back where it's accessible. It gets to slippery and it's too big for him to comfortably carry really (and weighted) so when it gets stuck if he can't whack it out with nose or paws it's done.

He would never dream of snapping at Midas for kibble. Now if I gave new toys, they both growl but there's not snapping - ever. Madix likes food and is food driven but he's not protective of his food at all - it's more about the game of getting it out than the actual food lol.