April 2017 - Question of the Month

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.

Will your next dog be a Dutch Shepherd?

Absolutely
46%
No way
8%
Maybe
46%
There won't be a next dog
No votes

Total votes: 13

centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

April 2017 - Question of the Month

Post by centrop67 »

Unfortunately, our fur buddies won't live as long as us, and I know it's tough to consider the future, but what do you plan for the future?
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Re: April 2017 - Question of the Month

Post by cordeliandemon »

for things like that i cant really make a decision until i know what needs/requirements/limitations ill have in the future.
i knew when my collie/springer spaniel Sidney died id need to get a friend for koda and was thinking maybe a small dog i could let plod around the house all day. however when that time came my living situation was no longer very safe and i had people who would climb the back wall of my yard at night doing heroin (and presumably abusing koda as she had suddenly started wincing when you raised a hand to pet her) among other security and personal safety issues, so plans changed and getting demon became necessary. (hes a lot more work, but we're one of the last houses in this area that hasnt been violently burgled in the last 2 years so its 1000% worth it)

koda is almost 7 now. i can see the beginnings of arthritis in her wrists but i hope she'll be happy and healthy for a long time to come. what demon and my requirements will be in about 6+ more years ill just have to wait and see.
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

I'm kinda in the same boat as Cordelia. I'd like to think my next dog well be a DS or Mal, but I just don't know. Aurora is ten. She's slowed down a good bit. Clicking joints, groans and grunts. Aurora had been a dream to work with. Quick to learn, forgiving, excellent memory. But endeavor has been requiring SO much time that Aurora's training is suffering. I work them together sometimes. Sometimes it can be a useful distraction. Other times, it's just sabotaging En's learning. I can't imaging how I'd handle a second dog like En. As much as I hate to say it, I may be a one dog guy after Aurora passes.
Here's the really depressing part- I'll be (hopefully) into my 50s by the time En passes. So...really, that means that my next dog will most likely be my last.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I have a feeling there's probably a lot of the same story here. I'll be in my 60s when it's time for the next one, and I doubt I'll be able to give a DS the life it needs by then - except I'll be retired with extra time, so it probably depends on my physical capability.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Yeah. I'm a carpenter. I just blew a promotion recently (couldn't dedicate energy: work/family conflict). Another chance may come my way before too long, but it's just as likely my body will be spent anyhow. I hope I'll be able to run enough and have enough time for one of these dogs ten or fifteen years from now.
I also doubt I'll get a puppy. I'll probably go for a rescue or a green dog. Unless I hit the lottery and start my own company. Then I'll bring my pup to work every day like I did with Aurora.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Since we are in the process of finding our first DS to bring home, I voted Absolutely. Kinda a cheat. Don't know beyond this. We have two dogs now and our oldest dog is showing signs of age. I like having two dogs at a time, but I'm so happy to be soon having three. We often have my in-laws two dogs over as well as taking our two over to play when we visit. The more the merrier. Crazy dog family. Kidding. Back to the answer...after a few years of owning a DS I will be able to cast a better vote.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I have already been making decisions for my canine near future. Thalie is 15 and Sadie is 7 but so reliant on Thalie that I dont want her to be alone so I have a third for Sadie to bond with. My kids are getting to the age where we can go places more for day trips and some short vacations, and not being able to do doggy day care can be hard. Sadie has been banned from my local bording facility :eek:

I have a Basset hound in my mix right now. The three of them are great and so much fun. Sadie, with her bad hips, may not live as long as Thalie, so I am looking at the next 5 years. Once Thalie passes it will just be Cookie and Sadie.

At some point though, my long term future plans include being on a farm again with horses and other animals, so when that approaches I will DEFINITELY have more shepherds. As crazy as Sadie is, on the farm the DS will have so much more to play and run around and will have a job.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

I hope my next dog will be a DS. I will be early 50s at that point and retiring. So my plan is to have another DS that can spend retirement with me, as long as I'm healthy and capable.

On a side note from this has anyone ever thought about what to do with their DS if the DS outlives you. They are not a dog that just anyone could take and care for. With my parents in their 70s and my brother running a 12 and 8 year old all over everywhere I don't know anyone that could care for xander. I've thought about it and have decided to make arrangements and add it to my will. Any suggestions???

PS... not that I'm planning on checking out anytime soon but you never know and I worry about xanders well being.
Karen & Xander
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Revisiting this good question

So what is my answer to this Q after nearly a year with my pup?
Maybe and closer to a no. The question to me reads when my current DS passes. If she lives to 15, I doubt I would have the energy for a DS puppy. Maybe an older rescue.
I will always have a dog in my life. I would have another DS come in within the next five years as a good maybe.
Husband says no. Whatever.
I’ll say this, I will enjoy Rogue to the fullest everyday day. This Girl is awesome. I love her so much. :DSlove:
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG