Embarrassing Training Fails?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Steve_the_Shepherd
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Recently rescued by Steve, who I am told is 80% Dutch Shepherd...not a breed I had even heard of. I am experienced with big dogs, having previously had Alaskan Malamutes. Living in Gibraltar, possibly the worst place on the planet for dogs....help and advice needed.

Embarrassing Training Fails?

Post by Steve_the_Shepherd »

Am I the only one who experiences this?

Obviously, we all have dogs for different reasons, and train them accordingly....

Steve is meant to keep me vaguely sane, and be an excellent family member, saving vast sums on gym fees and the like.

I stressed from the beginning 'four on the floor' and discourage him from jumping up at people....

The other day, I am in town, on the Main Street, when I stopped to clean up after him. He is perfectly calm, and I am alert to potential problems (other dogs, street cats etc etc etc), and noticed a couple walking towards us. No problem. Or so I thought.

She was carrying a half empty bottle of water- and plastic bottles are great fun...he didn't jump at her, merely took it from her hand as she passed!
It was both hugely funny (or so the watching customers in the pavement café thought), but bloody embarrassing....

Anyone else have dogs who behave badly?
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Re: Embarrassing Training Fails?

Post by oddbird »

Haha!

So just yesterday, I had a guest over at the house. A lot of people are nervous around Henry at first. During their greeting, I think Henry picked up on a little bit of nervousness so after his first “sit” he started offering behaviors (appeasement, maybe?). So what did he do? Our “through” command, where he goes in between the legs, turns around, and then sits/walks in between the legs until he is released... but it wasn’t my legs he went “through” :DSangel:
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
Steve_the_Shepherd
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Recently rescued by Steve, who I am told is 80% Dutch Shepherd...not a breed I had even heard of. I am experienced with big dogs, having previously had Alaskan Malamutes. Living in Gibraltar, possibly the worst place on the planet for dogs....help and advice needed.

Post by Steve_the_Shepherd »

I swear that dogs have got a sense of humour...they know perfectly well how to behave, but sometimes they choose to be naughty.
Like a toddler who has learned a rude word, that they know they are not supposed to use...so they save it until you are at grannys/church/wherever they will have the most shocked impact.
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

Steve_the_Shepherd wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:48 am I swear that dogs have got a sense of humour...they know perfectly well how to behave, but sometimes they choose to be naughty.
Like a toddler who has learned a rude word, that they know they are not supposed to use...so they save it until you are at grannys/church/wherever they will have the most shocked impact.
Oh they definitely do! That’s what makes life so much fun and interesting with them :)
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I've talked about the water bottle incident with my first trainer. She thought spraying Radar would be a good deterrent of unwanted behavior, and Radar simply took the bottle away from her.

Also, she thought engaging him with squealing and skipping away from him to make him chase her was a good idea. It went exactly as you might expect - she ended up with a ripped pair of jeans.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

centrop67 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:54 pm I've talked about the water bottle incident with my first trainer. She thought spraying Radar would be a good deterrent of unwanted behavior, and Radar simply took the bottle away from her.

Also, she thought engaging him with squealing and skipping away from him to make him chase her was a good idea. It went exactly as you might expect - she ended up with a ripped pair of jeans.
and did this trainer know about training DS"S????????? If not , she sure learned fast :lol:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sadie is a training fail :lol: :lol:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:17 pm Sadie is a training fail
:lol:
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Boaz1
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a dog groomer with my own shop. In July I got my first Dutch Shepherd and am very impressed with him.

Post by Boaz1 »

I hadn't thought about this for awhile but the water bottle incident reminded me. When Boaz was just over a year old (he is three now), we were walking in the neighborhood and went by an area where a gas line was marked with those little plastic flags. He walked by pulling up the flags and dropping them. I put them back and made him stop but I had a really good laugh! Another time a neighbor was having a yard sale and had placed a box of stuffed toys out by the sidewalk. Bo saw that and headed straight for it, tail wagging and a thank you smile on his face, then started looking for the one he wanted. He just knew they were for him. We all had a laugh at that.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

That’s some funny stuff.
I could see Rogue wanting to select a stuffed animal as her own.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG